What's new

Muslim girls wearing Hijab barred from classes at Indian college

"Fyi, most Indian Muslim girls I know and work with are far progressive and independent than these Hijab seekers damsel in distress."

She was indirectly only accepting the Indian women who are non-practising but Muslim by name... She made her view clear about the practising ones who wear Hijabs...

Read her follow up message about Hindus and eating beef too.
I take that point you have made, but you should cut her - and people like me - some slack. Any slurs are really not intentional. If you take my personal situation, the women in my family, both my blood relations, mother and sister and daughter, and my relations by marriage, my wife, are so fiercely independent, that it is difficult to visualise cowed and oppressed women. The hijab, to me, is an expression of women in rebellion, and refusing to accept the bullying that is taking place today, by the majority Hindu against the minority Muslim, the minority Christian, and the minority Sikh. I am sure that my daughter, who teaches gender studies, would agree.

On the second matter, about Hindus eating beef, I am not sure I got your point. I am a vegetarian by moral choice, not by upbringing or by religious sanction, and before I chose this path, I have had all meat as and when it was served, pork when it was there, beef when it was there, and fish when it was there. Do you see that as an aberration?

The point about #2 and #4 are blown out of proportion. There is no difficulty in Kerala; there is no difficulty in Tamil Nadu; there is no difficulty in Telangana; there is no difficulty in Andhra Pradesh. Do you think using the very broad brush you have used at all justified? This is a question you must ask yourself, not one where I will impose an answer on you.

Just because some Muslims have not suffered the wrath of the fascist Hindu society, are you trying to saying it doesn't exist?

Now I know you don't mean to say that, so why the exercise in denial?

At the end of the day, seems like we are just arguing over price, when both parties have agreed to the transaction.

Just because some Muslims have not suffered the wrath of the fascist Hindu society, are you trying to saying it doesn't exist?

Now I know you don't mean to say that, so why the exercise in denial?

At the end of the day, seems like we are just arguing over price, when both parties have agreed to the transaction.
LOL.

Stop cornering me.

You saw those remarks because I had addressed them directly to you, in an invitation for a discussion. You declined to participate.

This is not the topic in this thread, and nether am I in mood for such detailed discussions for the time being. If you are interested I am happy to oblige at an another time. But a discussion cannot be answered by raising further irrelevant questions, that's just childish, I have seen you contribute better in this forum, especially this thread, so let's stay focused.

Regarding your irrelevant queries, I am happy to discuss those as well, if they really concern you. This is a deep discussion hence my previous effort to invite you into a discussion. Few posts here and there is not a discussion, it's no better then most others on this forum.

Sure we can discuss this one some other thread. Just a note - this is not my full time job or passion - so perhaps I was preoccupied at that time.

As for my "irrelevant queries". They aren't irrelevant at all when we realize that our actions are no different....just our circumstances are.

Sorry about the clumsy wording.

No, it wasn't you, I probably need more sleep, been experiencing irregular sleeping patterns lately. The weather is erratic these days and change of weather tends to effect my sleep.

On a side note, if you use an android phone "sleep monitor" app is very good in helping to evaluate your sleep. It has been really useful for me.

Last edited:
I take that point you have made, but you should cut her - and people like me - some slack. Any slurs are really not intentional. If you take my personal situation, the women in my family, both my blood relations, mother and sister and daughter, and my relations by marriage, my wife, are so fiercely independent, that it is difficult to visualise cowed and oppressed women. The hijab, to me, is an expression of women in rebellion, and refusing to accept the bullying that is taking place today, by the majority Hindu against the minority Muslim, the minority Christian, and the minority Sikh. I am sure that my daughter, who teaches gender studies, would agree.

On the second matter, about Hindus eating beef, I am not sure I got your point. I am a vegetarian by moral choice, not by upbringing or by religious sanction, and before I chose this path, I have had all meat as and when it was served, pork when it was there, beef when it was there, and fish when it was there. Do you see that as an aberration?
I think there is a misunderstanding here.

I don't disagree with anything you've stated, and of course you are free to consume what you choose, be it pork or beef. It makes no difference to me and I don't think it should make a difference to anyone else either. (Perhaps apart from those who may be talking out of concern)

I just think you've misinterpreted her messages is all. Read over the conversation again and you may view it differently, but there is certainly more of a hostile attitude towards Muslim women from her, not that of empathy.

@xeuss also seems to agree judging by his response also.

Sure we can discuss this one some other thread. Just a note - this is not my full time job or passion - so perhaps I was preoccupied at that time.

As for my "irrelevant queries". They aren't irrelevant at all when we realize that our actions are no different....just our circumstances are.

Certainly, and please do not take this discussion as an attempt or wish to lecture. It is sharing of ideas, in which I may well be under false impressions, or even completely wrong.

I bloody well hope this isn't your full time job, although I have started to spend more time here then I am comfortable with, it just pulls you in without realising. My previous suggestion for a discussion was purely out of respect for quality of your contributions, I fear it may have been taken as an attempt to challenge. But, I hope it wasn't.

It is difficult to hold a conversation when individual actions, or lack of them, are used as examples to (negatively) generalize a community, which is what you are doing. Furthermore, I have already explained that your communities circumstances and my communities circumstances differ immensely, and to expect one yardstick to measure the "Muslimness" of both is simply an exercise that is very amateurish, at best.

Since you are so interested, let's look at one statement of yours:
"Indian muslim men even for this issue are not doing anything"

Obviously you have made this claim without taking the effort to research, but since it fits your predisposition, you decided to further it.

If I were to provide examples of what Muslim men have done in this particular situation, it is still highly likely that you will find excuse to belittle them. Frankly, I don't think we will ever be worthy enough of your respect, but then again, thankfully we do not follow our religion to get praised by you.

If you are truly interested, you can research on your own and see that Muslim boys protected some of the Muslim girls, while they were walking home, Muslim men helped them file cases against the colleges and courts., Muslim men helped organize rallies in other cities. I suspect all this will not be good enough for you.

That's why I said Year 2025

وہ بات سارے فسانے میں جس کا ذکر نہ تھا

وہ بات ان کو بہت نا گوار گزری ہے

वो बात सारे फ़साने में जिस का ज़िक्र न था

वो बात उन को बहुत ना-गवार गुज़री
है

First of all where in my post I ever compared "Muslimness" of Indian muslim, can you show me any of such post or remark which I ever made .... ??? (not just in today's exchange of my post with you but from anytime in past)

Secondly I think we also don't follow our religion to get praise from you people .... nor we expect the same from you people, infact its the trait of Indian Muslims to judge our religion be it any Moulana of your Deobandi Madarsa or Braeli Madarsa even the Gaddi nasheen, our Quaid was termed as Kafir-e-Azam and I am sure you must be aware about some Indian Muslims who termed Pakistan as Kafiristan till todate, so don't blame us for those things which we don't do.

Lastly plz let me remind you the opening remarks of your post
It is difficult to hold a conversation when individual actions, or lack of them, are used as examples to (negatively) generalize a community, which is what you are doing.
Now plz further remarks within your own post ....
Muslim men helped them file cases against the colleges and courts., Muslim men helped organize rallies in other cities. I suspect all this will not be good enough for you.

I think you are doing the same here by drawing the parallel b/w individual actions with collective action by a community, though I appreciate the individuals for their actions

Plz let me remind you this is what I wrote
Is there any Muslim organization who could even raise the voice for Indian Muslims in political and Legal circles ..... ???

I am specifically asking about the Organization.

I think you took it personally and make it an issue of your personal ego therefore you are investing your energy to prove me wrong rather to read and understand the point I was making in my posts.

Is it difficult for you to understand that this whole episode is a properly planned and executed incident, Indian media and social media is giving evidences for this.

There is a report the from Indian media that the protest was organized through whatsApp groups of young college going right wing Hindu students, there was right wing hindu pressure groups involved (I am forgetting the names) in this whole Anti Veil movement.

May I ask is there any Indian Muslim pressure group working to safeguard interest for Indian Muslim ??? now could you see and understand the point I was mentioning ???

Secondly when the protest was arrange to show the strength of Hindutva followers on the street why there was no peaceful protest by Indian Muslim community is arranged till to date ??? SC court has even refused to give any temporary relief to students.

So rather to make me look wrong its better If you accept there are many issues with Indian muslims community & plz don't blame us for your miseries.

وہ بات سارے فسانے میں جس کا ذکر نہ تھا

وہ بات ان کو بہت نا گوار گزری ہے

वो बात सारे फ़साने में जिस का ज़िक्र न था

वो बात उन को बहुत ना-गवार गुज़री
है

First of all where in my post I ever compared "Muslimness" of Indian muslim, can you show me any of such post or remark which I ever made .... ??? (not just in today's exchange of my post with you but from anytime in past)

Secondly I think we also don't follow our religion to get praise from you people .... nor we expect the same from you people, infact its the trait of Indian Muslims to judge our religion be it any Moulana of your Deobandi Madarsa or Braeli Madarsa even the Gaddi nasheen, our Quaid was termed as Kafir-e-Azam and I am sure you must be aware about some Indian Muslims who termed Pakistan as Kafiristan till todate, so don't blame us for those things which we don't do.

Lastly plz let me remind you the opening remarks of your post

Now plz further remarks within your own post ....

I think you are doing the same here by drawing the parallel b/w individual actions with collective action by a community, though I appreciate the individuals for their actions

Plz let me remind you this is what I wrote

I am specifically asking about the Organization.

I think you took it personally and make it an issue of your personal ego therefore you are investing your energy to prove me wrong rather to read and understand the point I was making in my posts.

Is it difficult for you to understand that this whole episode is a properly planned and executed incident, Indian media and social media is giving evidences for this.

There is a report the from Indian media that the protest was organized through whatsApp groups of young college going right wing Hindu students, there was right wing hindu pressure groups involved (I am forgetting the names) in this whole Anti Veil movement.

May I ask is there any Indian Muslim pressure group working to safeguard interest for Indian Muslim ??? now could you see and understand the point I was mentioning ???

Secondly when the protest was arrange to show the strength of Hindutva followers on the street why there was no peaceful protest by Indian Muslim community is arranged till to date ??? SC court has even refused to give any temporary relief to students.

So rather to make me look wrong its better If you accept there are many issues with Indian muslims community & plz don't blame us for your miseries.

I really have no interest in continuing this amateurish debate.

You're absolutely right. You have done nothing wrong. All the fault lies with me and "my people"

Back
Top Bottom