What's new

Musharraf's political career launch speech (apology, promises and clean slate)

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
pervez-ap.jpg-608.jpg

LONDON: Pakistan's ex-military ruler Pervez Musharraf has launched a new political party that may sharpen political tensions at home amid growing criticism of the civilian government.

Musharraf told hundreds of cheering supporters that the best way to deal with Pakistan's political and economic troubles is to bring his party to power.

He says there is a need to ''bring all patriotic people under one flag, that flag should be the All Pakistan Muslim League.''

Since he stepped down in 2008 under an impeachment threat and protests, Musharraf has been living in Britain, home to some 1 million people of Pakistani descent.

Earlier Friday, he said the only way to tackle Pakistan's problems, which have been exacerbated by recent floods, is to further bolster the army's role. -AP

With Pakistani economy near collapse and the country's major political parties thoroughly discredited in the eyes of the people, former President General Pervez Musharraf has launched a new political party and vowed to galvanize Pakistanis to wage "jihad against poverty, hunger, illiteracy and backwardness".

While launching his bid to return to power, Musharraf showed rare contrition for his mistakes during his tenure by saying "I... sincerely apologize to the whole nation" for the "negative repercussions".

"I am aware of the fact that there were some decisions which I took which resulted in negative political repercussions, repercussions which had adverse effects on nation building and national political events, and my popularity also, may I say, plummeted in that last year. I take this opportunity to sincerely apologize to the whole nation. Ladies and gentlemen, only God is infallible," Musharraf added.

Mr Musharraf said he had learned his lessons and vowed not to repeat them.

As part of his campaign, Musharraf has gathered the support of almost all of the PML factions (notably Q, Ejazul Haq and Pir Pagara) with the sole exception of the group led by Sharif brothers.

In addition to using the widespread public dissatisfaction and anger with the rapid deterioration of economy and security situation, Mr. Musharraf can run on his record during 2000-2008 which the current PPP government hailed in its 2008 MOU with the IMF as follows:

"Pakistan's economy witnessed a major economic transformation in the last decade. The country's real GDP increased from $60 billion to $170 billion, with per capita income rising from under $500 to over $1000 during 2000-07". It further acknowledged that "the volume of international trade increased from $20 billion to nearly $60 billion. The improved macroeconomic performance enabled Pakistan to re-enter the international capital markets in the mid-2000s. Large capital inflows financed the current account deficit and contributed to an increase in gross official reserves to $14.3 billion at end-June 2007. Buoyant output growth, low inflation, and the government's social policies contributed to a reduction in poverty and improvement in many social indicators". (see MEFP, November 20, 2008, Para 1).

Given the corruption and mismanagement by the PPP and PML(N) parties in what is now called the "lost decade" of the 1990s, and again since 2008, there is clearly a need for a third party to give people a wider choice if genuine democracy is to be sustained in Pakistan. Musharraf's party, called All Pakistan Muslim League", has an opportunity to force the PPP and the PML(N) to deliver, or be replaced by a third option.

Haq's Musings: Musharraf Launches Party, Offers Third Major Option For Elections in 2013

Last edited:
BBC News - 'Sorry' Pervez Musharraf launches new Pakistan party

Former Pakistan military ruler Pervez Musharraf has apologised for "negative" actions he took while in power, as he launched his new political party, the All Pakistan Muslim League, in London.

Mr Musharraf said: "I... sincerely apologise to the whole nation" for the "negative repercussions".

But he vowed to galvanise Pakistanis and fight a "jihad against poverty, hunger, illiteracy and backwardness".

Correspondents say there is no real likelihood of him returning soon.

Mr Musharraf also appears to lack the kind of political organisation that could win him an election in Pakistan, they say.

'National salvation'
Mr Musharraf unveiled the All Pakistan Muslim League at a gentlemen's club in Whitehall.

He apologised for some of the actions he took when in power.

"I am aware of the fact that there were some decisions which I took which resulted in negative political repercussions, repercussions which had adverse effects on nation building and national political events, and my popularity also, may I say, plummeted in that last year. I take this opportunity to sincerely apologise to the whole nation. Ladies and gentlemen, only God is infallible."

Mr Musharraf said he had learned his lessons and vowed not to repeat them.

The BBC's Caroline Hawley says the launch, in a room of the National Liberal Club lined with leather-bound books, came with security befitting a president - journalists were asked to arrive two hours before Mr Musharraf spoke.

She says the president spoke in front of his supporters, some former generals in smart business suits, and was interrupted several times with chants of "Pervez Musharraf, step forward, we are with you".

Mr Musharraf attacked the "total despondency and demoralisation and hopelessness which prevails in society today".

He added: "The time has come to redeem our pledge... to ensure the fruits of freedom are shared by all. The time has come for a new social contract to keep the dream of our forefathers alive... to make Pakistan into a progressive Islamic state for others in the third world to emulate."

Mr Musharraf said he wanted a party of national salvation that would "galvanise all Pakistanis regardless of religion, caste or creed".

He added: "It is time to unfurl a Muslim league umbrella for all - this umbrella for all shall be the All Pakistan Muslim League."

Mr Musharraf also said: "I will go back to Pakistan before the next election whatever the dangers."

The former army chief, who now lives in London, earlier told the BBC: "When there is a dysfunctional government and the nation is going down, its economy is going down, there is a clamour, there is a pressure on the military by the people."

He said he was launching the party in London because he risked assassination if he returned to Pakistan. He has survived a number of plots in the past.

Last month, Mr Musharraf told the BBC he would be standing for a seat in the 2013 parliamentary elections. From there he said he hoped to become either prime minister or president.

He made London his base, as a number of Pakistani politicians have done over the years, after his allies lost elections and he was ousted as president in 2008.

If he does go home, he faces legal cases, which he says are politically motivated.

Mr Musharraf seized power in 1999 when, as chief of Pakistan's army, he ousted elected Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in a coup.

He said (I translate) something along the lines of "From now on, everything we do will comply to the Qur'an and Sunnah"

He has my complete support because of this, unless he is playing the religion card- however, his speech was a bit... different.

But that doesn't matter. He is a tried and tested model version of the Pakistani President(tm) and will hopefully change our country out of the box!

He said (I translate) something along the lines of "From now on, everything we do will comply to the Qur'an and Sunnah"

He has my complete support because of this, unless he is playing the religion card- however, his speech was a bit... different.

But that doesn't matter. He is a tried and tested model version of the Pakistani President(tm) and will hopefully change our country out of the box!
He probably just was playing the religion card, he won't bring about Shariah rule, if thats whats meant by doing things by Quran and Sunnah.

At best he won't go against the basic tenets of the majority religion, but there is a fat chance there would be any sort of strict implementation of Islam.

The meat of that part of his speech was what he said as point 2, something about making Pakistan as what was said by Jinnah in speech, which goes on to say "Religion, caste or creed has nothing to do with the business of the state".

Any impact he has depends solely on the formation of different strands of the ML back in Pakistan (including his), the possibility of the MQM throwing their weight behind him, and then the tough part (if that all wasn't tough already), of that coalition putting him up as their nominee to lead.

Musharraf, along with the APML as it stands is finished before it starts.

He really is placing his credibility on the line. It'd be unfortunate and hugely damaging for him if this loses steam within 2-3 months, which is likely given the pitfalls he faces.

I want to be proved wrong, but as a realist, I think that could be the case if things don't fall into place.

Back
Top Bottom