What's new

Musharraf's political career launch speech (apology, promises and clean slate)

Sir if past can be overlooked,then why not people supported zardari from his first day in office and say that ''we are overlooking past of his for better future''.same will go with musharraf,his past is something which has seen clash with lawyers,media,democratic parties and other many guilts which we already know.

Zaradari got enough popular support initially that he become President of Pakistan. Pakistani's suffer from long term memory loss, with all that is happening around us, how can we remember what happened a few years ago.

You have to understand that you can oppose him but not stop him from entering politics.

Zaradari got enough popular support initially that he become President of Pakistan. Pakistani's suffer from long term memory loss, with all that is happening around us, how can we remember what happened a few years ago.

You have to understand that you can oppose him but not stop him from entering politics.

Well i know i cannot stop him:D

A lot of people have said that Musharraf is out of sync with the ground realities in Pakistan, the fact that he still has a poor image which are fresh in the memory.

When you consider that the current govt as well as the PML-N and others have done nothing but to remind the public of the three most controversial topics (Lal Masjid, Bugti, Nov 3), it means that he has an uphill PR battle on his hands.

And then there has been more negative PR with the emotions whipped up surrounding Aafia Siddiqui and the implication from the political class that Musharraf was behind her handover to the US. In short, he has too many battles on his plate, and black spots (true or not), for him to have the appeal that he wants.

Now let's move onto the recent floods. I personally think this was a missed opportunity for Musharraf. No doubt he still has clout, and still has followers in the Middle East as well as the US. I think as soon as demands for aid were made, he should've used his good offices to campaign vigourously for donations. A road trip marathon if you will, going from country to country under the banner of the APML. He showed that he could be successful in a telephon, but that was a good few weeks into the disaster.

Any leader earns respect and a solid standing when they react positively to a crisis. I think Musharraf was slow footed, and didn't go all out which would've elevated him in the eyes of Pakistani's. No doubt there was relief work carried out, but I think he had the potential to do a lot more.

What I'm touching on there, is that in his capacity as an ex-President, he still has the influence in Beijing or Riyadh to make a positive contribution to his country. He had a platform to demonstrate a round the world campaign to help his countrymen.

That would not have been met with cynicism, but respect and appreciation. In my opinion, it would've been a great slap to Zardari and co. to do this. Alas, it never happened.

Politics is about opportunism, sitting back and not taking advantage of the inaction that we witnessed, or slow response, would've placed him in a better light. I do regret that he didn't do this. My personal opinion, but these things matter, and he would've won a lot of hearts, respect and goodwill if he had embarked on such a mission.

Which all leads us to what his best role is. Is it that ambassadorial role overseas? I think it is. Unless he can gain the assuarances internally that he'll have the necessary support to make a difference, then it's just a painful, exhaustive and wasted exercise. That doesn't serve him well, nor his country.

Before musharaf left
70 percent plung in the stock market and foreign exchange reserves
An electricity crisis
An increasing water crisis
Taliban advancing from the west,destabilizing Baluchistan
Approved NRo order

But his apml is the 3rd largest party in Pakistan.Will likely get some strong support because of floods.But not enough to win 2 /3 majority victory he will need support from Pml n .But will that happen will see?

People suddenly counting 9 years should remember that Pakistan was doing fine, up until year 2006, despite the war. His last 2 years were pretty bad, no doubt, but to dismiss his entire ruling period is quite unjust.

The successful completion of mega projects, the real estate boom, the completion of roads, seeing Gwadar through, Thar Canal, the military projects, the second fastest gdp growth, etc.

On the political front, Joint electorate system, increase in reserved seats for women and minorities, restructuring of the HEC, womens empowerment act, the media freedom (discounting nov 3 actions). He has even tried to remove the blasphemy and hudood ordinance, but wasn't successful.

In the next 90 years Zardari can't do half of that.

Asim,
I agree with you on some of that. But I ask you and others to consider the environment in which Musharraf made things happen in Pakistan: Most of that was when the world economy was prospering at least through the 2003-2007 period. There was relative peace in Pakistan up to 2007. There was not much peace in Sri Lanka up to about 2 years ago (when the Tamils were finally crushed). Look at their economies during that time.
All the while Musharraf kept publicly denying the presence of militants on Pakistani soil while the militants were solidifying themselves.

However, Musharraf did engineer some kind of turn around in Pakistan's economy after Oct. 1999. Musharraf worked very hard. I have read accounts of him working 14 hours a day, holding late night meetings. Pakistan's economy had started to recover before 9/11. May be that was the 'stability' under Musharraf. May be the relative lack of corruption. Probably both.
While I have been critical of Musharraf--for reasons different from the usual crap about 'selling away sovereignty' or 'making money off Aaafia ' like claims--I acknowledge his hard work.
My main problem with Musharraf (and his supporters) is being the lack of understanding that ultimately 'politics' is what drives a nation forward. Musharraf was too black and white. Too honest. Such kinds of persons can be many things but not leaders.
A political leader has to be cunning. Cunning enough to bring all kinds of people onboard.
In that respect, what Zardari--the 'corrupt'-- is a far better leader than a 'clean' Musharraf. Zardari has managed to bring ALL major political parties in Pakistan in ALL federating units to share power. He has managed the Gilgit-Balitistan semi-autonomy, the initiation of Baluchistan package, the NFC Awards, and, no less, the 18th Const. Amendment.
These are not minor advances even if the blogspace does not recognize them. Structure is always better than the straws in the air

So Musharraf has apologized. let's see, I'm sorry I tarnished the country's constitution, overthrew judiciary, caused massive political termoil, responsible for god knows how many deaths, I'm sorry, but here I am ready to lead you again. wow.

Anyway, it's a futile effort on Musharraf's part. He can't run a political campaign let alone win it, that is why he was a dictator. He's in for one humiliating ride if he goes back to Pakistan, but maybe that is what the universe has intended for him. It would still be interesting to see him in the mix in the coming years.

Musharraf is just wasting his time by joing politics again (no offence to Musarraf supporters), he was the most hated man in Pakistan in 2007-2008.

Pakistan needs a new leader. No more Bhuttos/Zardaris, Nawaz Sharif, or Musharraf. Give Imran Khan a chance.

Asim,
I agree with you on some of that. But I ask you and others to consider the environment in which Musharraf made things happen in Pakistan: Most of that was when the world economy was prospering at least through the 2003-2007 period. There was relative peace in Pakistan up to 2007. There was not much peace in Sri Lanka up to about 2 years ago (when the Tamils were finally crushed). Look at their economies during that time.
All the while Musharraf kept publicly denying the presence of militants on Pakistani soil while the militants were solidifying themselves.

However, Musharraf did engineer some kind of turn around in Pakistan's economy after Oct. 1999. Musharraf worked very hard. I have read accounts of him working 14 hours a day, holding late night meetings. Pakistan's economy had started to recover before 9/11. May be that was the 'stability' under Musharraf. May be the relative lack of corruption. Probably both.
While I have been critical of Musharraf--for reasons different from the usual crap about 'selling away sovereignty' or 'making money off Aaafia ' like claims--I acknowledge his hard work.
My main problem with Musharraf (and his supporters) is being the lack of understanding that ultimately 'politics' is what drives a nation forward. Musharraf was too black and white. Too honest. Such kinds of persons can be many things but not leaders.
A political leader has to be cunning. Cunning enough to bring all kinds of people onboard.
In that respect, what Zardari--the 'corrupt'-- is a far better leader than a 'clean' Musharraf. Zardari has managed to bring ALL major political parties in Pakistan in ALL federating units to share power. He has managed the Gilgit-Balitistan semi-autonomy, the initiation of Baluchistan package, the NFC Awards, and, no less, the 18th Const. Amendment.
These are not minor advances even if the blogspace does not recognize them. Structure is always better than the straws in the air
What Zardari has managed to do is band up thieves together and is giving money to everyone. The 100 + Ministries are just for that. Eat and let others eat.

Good environment or not, who has any modicum of doubt that with all that money flowing in Zardari and Nawaz would've only filled their own pockets with that money.

I disagree, Pakistan does not need dishonest, corrupt smartasses. We need a democratic ruler that would ensure corruption is weeded out.

Great News for Pakistan Mash' Allah. I was in Lahore's meeting, It's was a real Awami Ijtamaa. Bad news for those who propagate ''he's got fans only at facebook''.

Great News for Pakistan Mash' Allah. I was in Lahore's meeting, It's was a real Awami Ijtamaa. Bad news for those who propagate ''he's got fans only at facebook''.
The media reported there are only 100-150 people there. Was that true?

That's one of the most amazing things I have read, it's in the same league as "corruption is our right"

"Politics" does not drive a nation to anything but politics - What the supporters of Musharraf want is a peaceful and prosperous Pakistan, they want a government that thinks it's ethical and moral responsibility is to ensure all Pakistanis are equal before the law, that all have the same opportunity -- to Musharraf's supporters (I'm one of them), that's a good start.

That's one of the most amazing things I have read, it's in the same league as "corruption is our right"

"Politics" does not drive a nation to anything but politics - What the supporters of Musharraf want is a peaceful and prosperous Pakistan, they want a government that thinks it's ethical and moral responsibility is to ensure all Pakistanis are equal before the law, that all have the same opportunity -- to Musharraf's supporters (I'm one of them), that's a good start.
Quaid-e-Azam ki naiki, haq se maango.

Yes, Muse and Asim, I know I was saying something too controversial and out of the box and was thus opening myself to attacks. I have my reasons to.
I try to follow news from various countries. I see that 'politicians' are held in contempt almost the world over. I am also certain that Indian politicians are even more corrupt and criminal than those of Pakistan. Some of the misgivings the world over about politicians is justified. Politics is a dirty game. It is a 'business' for most elected contestants.
And yet it is the politicians who rule the most of the world. Politicians give and take to stay in power. Politicians bring different people from all parts of a country into 'sharing power'. Much abuse of power is done. But, in the end, the 'system' evolves.
In today's Pakistan there is an evolution going on. And it is NOT a slow evolution. You guys cannot rise above the size of the cabinet or Zardari/NS's daily meal budget. But Pakistan's is a too giant economy for these wastes. Pakistan can survive these relatively minor things and still prosper. Indeed, despite the massive floods, despite the terrorism, Pakistan's economy is poised to bounce back. There are structural changes done by the current government. Those are very important for Pakistan's future.
Pakistan is going to survive and thrive only by being democratic. Corruption will be sorted out because the judiciary and media are free. Both of these pillars of Pakistani society are very anti-Zardari. He can't escape them if he goes too far in his ways. So expose him with concrete proof.

The system is going to evolve. It is bigger than Zardari or Nawaz Sharif. Anyone, including Musharraf or Imran, is welcome to take part in it. Indeed, Imran Khan is already contesting by-elections.

He probably just was playing the religion card, he won't bring about Shariah rule, if thats whats meant by doing things by Quran and Sunnah.

At best he won't go against the basic tenets of the majority religion, but there is a fat chance there would be any sort of strict implementation of Islam.

The meat of that part of his speech was what he said as point 2, something about making Pakistan as what was said by Jinnah in speech, which goes on to say "Religion, caste or creed has nothing to do with the business of the state".

and i agree that religions has nothing to do with politics infact they shouldn't even be mixed

Back
Top Bottom