What's new

Musharraf's political career launch speech (apology, promises and clean slate)

Well in this whole scenario if Army and America back him, then all these statements will evaporate in no time. And it seems he is making his way.
If we notice in his whole press conference, he didn't even name PMLq single time or any other political leader. So, it more look like he has political backing.

Don't be so much fearful of world! You may end up with an upset stomach.

First Pakistan is to have a fully functional democratic setup for atleast next 25 years. It must also concentrate on developing a healthy economy during this period.

Shariah Law is for politically mature and advanced democracies. We saw the consequences of Sharia with Afghanis or House of Saud's! Disaster of one (Taliban style) or the other kind( Aristocracy in a most important muslim country with total political supression). IRAN is also looking to follow the suit.

Pakistan has to develop on these two fronts before a Sharia Law implementation or even discussion on the topic is started. A lot of damage is already done to Pakistan in last 15-20 years. It will take a whole generaion of effort to undo the effects!

Fighter

Shariah has nothing do with Democracy...

Busharaf is only coming back because there is a part of Pakistan that has not been sold yet... so Mr Tuff Guy is needed by the Americans again...

Something tells me that he would later regret his decision and might do better by staying above the Kebab Shop at Edgware Road...

Musharraf in politics

Dawn Editorial
Sunday, 03 Oct, 2010

Pervez Musharraf did not ‘enter’ politics on Friday in London; he has been in politics in Pakistan since the day he and his brother generals seized power and overthrew an elected government. His renewed political ambition to seek power through the electoral process merely constitutes the continuation of a political career that began with the ‘hijacking from ground’ drama on the evening of Oct 12, 1999.

In 2002 he went through the charade of a referendum, which he won and in which he — like Ayub Khan and Ziaul Haq — was the sole candidate. Again, while still in the army chief’s uniform, the commando general was authorised by the Supreme Court of the day to contest a presidential election, to which a retired SC justice lent credibility and sanctity by taking part. Even though he often proved himself to be good at political manoeuvring, the mistakes Gen Musharraf made were stupefying. That he managed to survive as a strongman for nearly eight years was a tribute less to his political skills and more to the power that flowed from the army chief’s baton. He was supported by some seasoned and habitual turncoats who helped him form the ‘king’s party’ which enabled him to have parliament enact constitutional amendments that whitewashed his crimes.

The former president is good at apologising, as he did after the referendum hoax, and on Friday he apologised again, saying men made mistakes. It will now be interesting to see whether his ‘enlightened moderation’ is able to make an impact on the nation’s political scene without the benefit of what he used to call his ‘second skin’. After all he is not the first retired general to enter the dangerous, often fatal waters of Pakistani politics. Gen Musharraf has no constituency, even in urban Sindh, though undoubtedly he has a sprinkling of support all over. He has some sworn enemies, but he also has supporters in the business class, which benefited from the economic boom until the 2005 earthquake. Ultimately, let us have faith in the people of Pakistan. As history shows, they have always shown collective wisdom while voting.

Those who completely write-off APML and Gen. Musharraf live in a fools paradise. Most political parties are afraid of the level of support he has received. Not so long ago media outlets hated him, look at the sea of change.

This is just the beginning, well known faces from all walks of life including Barrister Saif, Abdul Sattar Edhi, Ali Azmat, Atiqa Odho and many others support him. He has over 315,000 fans on facebook.

What kind of Shariah you want? As it stands, the country's constitution is already shariah compliant by definition - no laws can be made repugnant to Islam article. If you are looking for the Saudi or Iranian model, let me tell you, the country will crash in an epic disaster with first turbulence shaking things up, then engines sputtering out one by one, followed by a tailspin to death. We are neither rich nor have the oil resources to withstand such a mad decision. The world will abandon us as just another lunatic state.

No, not necessarily. Setting up any political ideology suddenly often has bad results.

Start out with very heavy punishments for corruption (i.e. Shariah style), make Zakaat compulsory on top of tax (but the Zakaat money must be used for actual charity!) and slowly introduce harsher punishments for severe crimes. After that, focus on introducing the Shariah model for economics- that is, for example, no interest. Rich won't get richer and poor won't get poorer.

If able to, I'd say it can be integrated into Pakistan in 15 or so years.

Iranian style Sharia is a mess. Saudi Sharia is a little bit more like it, but we should go for the original teachings. It doesn't depend on what resources a country has. It can apply for anyone.

Last edited:
No, not necessarily. Setting up any political ideology suddenly often has bad results.

Start out with very heavy punishments for corruption (i.e. Shariah style), make Zakaat compulsory on top of tax (but the Zakaat money must be used for actual charity!) and slowly introduce harsher punishments for severe crimes. After that, focus on introducing the Shariah model for economics- that is, for example, no interest. Rich won't get richer and poor won't get poorer.

If able to, I'd say it can be integrated into Pakistan in 15 or so years.

Iranian style Sharia is a mess. Saudi Sharia is a little bit more like it, but we should go for the original teachings. It doesn't depend on what resources a country has. It can apply for anyone.

Iranian style or Saudi style of Shariah are anything but Shariah...

Of course it takes time to sort out the mess... but the announcement of change from a cheap nationalistic state to an ideological state is the most important issue here... otherwise we will have a Zia Ul Haq Ka Pakistan all over again...

Those who completely write-off APML and Gen. Musharraf live in a fools paradise. Most political parties are afraid of the level of support he has received. Not so long ago media outlets hated him, look at the sea of change.

This is just the beginning, well known faces from all walks of life including Barrister Saif, Abdul Sattar Edhi, Ali Azmat, Atiqa Odho and many others support him. He has over 315,000 fans on facebook.
What media outlets are clamouring for him? From the tone I'm picking up, many haven't forgotten the treatment he meted out towards the end of his reign.

Who cares if Ali Azmat supports him? This is about the people of Pakistan, those who as it stands are loyal in the main to the PPP and PML-N (as much as I despise both).

I've touched on the issues Musharraf faces and they are huge. To repeat, some of them are:

a) sizeable support from the people - nothing he has points to that
b) counting on other political parties for support - he can't as yet, and it looks unlikely he'll achieve that
c) his legacy is a positive one - perhaps for some, but it wasn't for the last couple of years, due to three or four hugely controversial incidents
d) counting on the army for support - they seem to have moved on from the Musharraf years​

And don't even bring the Facebook argument into this, that's a misnomer. Only 68% of those supporters are in Pakistan, and there's no indication they've translated a 'like' on his FB page to actual campaigning on the ground - which is what he needs.

Let's be realistic here. He isn't going to make the impact you or I are hoping for.

The problem for General Musharraf is that many people here in Pakistan are thirsty for his blood, so its very difficult for him to maintain contact with people.

All political parties have ganged up against him and will zero him as they did with Imran Khan (Sita White comes in news only during election).

The problem with face book fans is that over 80% out of them don't go for vote.

But if someone wants him to be back to Pakistan all those who take credit to remove him from presidency will be the first ones to welcome him at BB International Airport

RFE/RL Exclusive: Musharraf Says His New Party Will Lead 'Pakistan Out Of Darkness'

Last updated (GMT/UTC): 04.10.2010 05:03
By RFE/RL

LONDON -- Former Pakistanii military ruler Pervez Musharraf says he decided to form a new Pakistani political party because he wants to "introduce a new, democratic political culture" to his country.

In a wide-ranging interview with RFE/RL in London, where he now lives, Musharraf said he planned to return triumphantly to Islamabad "before the next elections," which are scheduled for 2013.

His new party, the All Pakistan Muslim League, was needed on the scene because Pakistan finds itself in a "dismal" place, he said. "I'm forming this new party because on the political landscape of Pakistan I don't see any other party which can deliver Pakistan from the darkness in which it is at present finding itself."

Bloodless Coup, Years Of Rule

Musharraf's entrance in 1999 onto Pakistan's tumultuous political scene was under markedly different circumstances.

In October of that year, military lieutenants loyal to Musharraf, who was then head of the Pakistani Army, launched a coup against the elected civilian government of Nawaz Sharif in retaliation for Sharif's decision to sack Musharraf for launching a military conflict with India in Kashmir.

In the bloodless coup, Musharraf claimed power and for the next nine years ruled the nuclear-armed nation unchallenged.

The political system he put together was built on safeguarding his position. In 2002 he held a referendum in which he was the only candidate. His critics accuse him of stifling democracy, persecuting opponents, promoting cronyism and corruption, and systematically undermining governance by tampering with key institutions.

His rivals blame him for turning Pakistan into a global front line in the U.S.-led war against terrorism and argue that he showed extreme deception in his alliance with the West. While publicly siding with Washington, he quietly allowed sanctuaries for Al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Pakistan's western borderlands with Afghanistan, which still pose grave threats to regional and international security.

Now, on the brink of returning to Islamabad, Musharraf is both looking back at his record of what he said was one of "major progress" for Pakistan and ahead at what he wants to accomplish next.

Apology To The Nation

But first, he is setting the record straight. At the unveiling of his new party on October 1 in London, he told the crowd and cameras: "I am aware of the fact that there were some decisions which I took which resulted in negative political repercussions, repercussions which had adverse effects on nation building and national political events, and my popularity also, may I say, plummeted in that last year. I take this opportunity to sincerely apologize to the whole nation."

He said he decided to make the apology because in hindsight, he sees how decisions he alone made created the problems that ended his presidency. Among them, he fired the chief justice of the Supreme Court, imposed a state of emergency, and was both the president and head of the army for a brief period.

Of those decisions, he now says, "They may have been legal, they may have been constitutional, but it led to turmoil, negative effects on the state, and they are the ones that I apologized for."

Musharraf doesn't blame anyone else for what he calls his "political failures" -- which he says his opponents exploited -- and predicts that he will return to Pakistan with "political authority, political legitimacy, and with the support of the people."

He won't name the date of his return but says before the next election he will be in the country, "creating a certain environment." And to skeptics who say he cannot build support from his base in London, he says he can.

"We will prepare the groundwork [in London] and make a formal party, draw people towards us," he said. "Once that environment is created, I land in Pakistan, and then I create that upsurge in the movement toward my party. That is what my plan is."

Challenges At Home

The Pakistan he will return to is still suffering deeply from the devastating floods of this summer. Tensions with the NATO forces fighting in Afghanistan are running high after cross-border helicopter strikes led to Pakistani casualties. The border area with Afghanistan remains a haven for terrorists. The socioeconomic situation is in deep need of improvement.

But Musharraf has a plan of action for the list of challenges facing his country, and he insists that Pakistan "has tremendous potential [and] the resources to stand on its own feet."

If the country "gets it act together," he said, it can solve its socioeconomic problems, curb terrorism and extremism, and remove the political turmoil that has come to define the government. "It's not a shortage of resources [or] a shortage of capabilities," he insists, "it is actually a leadership failure. So the leadership is unable to harness all the potential that Pakistan has."

Musharraf says he wants to declare "jihad against illiteracy and poverty and backwardness." He talks about the need to bring the private sector into the government's effort to spread and improve educational opportunities. He is passionate about the need for more vocational training for young people.

Although his new party's manifesto declares that no law should be made in Pakistan that goes against the Koran -- which the Taliban also believes -- Musharraf says his view of Islam is "a very educated, well understood concept of Islam, [a] progressive...educated concept."

He cites the Taliban's attitude toward women, and their edict that women be made to stay inside and not receive education, as one of many interpretations of the Koran he doesn't share. "I am of quite the opposite view. I think the Islamic view on women is certainly an emancipated woman, and not the backward woman that they are talking about."

On how effectively Pakistan is dealing with the terrorists and extremists who are operating with impunity in the mountainous border region with Afghanistan, Musharraf said a misperception is being created and disseminated by "senior members of official Afghan circles."

The problem does not originate in Pakistan, he says, but in Afghanistan, where he says "not enough is being done."

"They may be coming into Pakistan, they have sanctuaries in Pakistan, they have support, there are Taliban in the mountains of Pakistan, but the main force -- the concentration of Taliban -- is in Afghanistan," he said. "This misperception [is] being created that [the problem] is Pakistan."

He added, "You win in Afghanistan, you will also win in Pakistan. You win in Pakistan, I don't think you are going to win in Afghanistan."

As for the homegrown insurgents within Pakistan who are increasingly becoming a problem for the government, Musharraf said Islamabad needs to focus on its own "breeding ground of terrorism." He says extremism in Pakistan "is what is fueling terrorism and fueling the linkage with the Taliban."

Long Odds

Musharraf's new political endeavor has been greeted with mixed feelings in Pakistan. Few expect him to be ever able to win a fair election. The fact that most politicians -- even his erstwhile allies -- appear reluctant to join his new political party seems likely to deprive him of putting together a credible political machine.

He is universally disliked by Pakistani political classes and most major political parties would strongly resist his political comeback.

Musharraf seems to know the odds against him as he begins the long road that he hopes will take him back to power.

"I would like to come into politics -- into the democratic dispensation of Pakistan -- on my own feet, with no need of assistance from anyone," he says.

"It is the people of Pakistan who need to support me and back me up. That is the way to come forward and win. Not on the shoulders of anybody else."

interview conducted by Akbar Ayazi in London. Written by Heather Maher, with additional reporting and writing from Abubakar Siddique

Source: RFE/RL Exclusive: Musharraf Says His New Party Will Lead 'Pakistan Out Of Darkness' - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty 2010

Copyright (c) 2010. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.

SPIEGEL Interview with Pervez Musharraf

'Pakistan is Always Seen as the Rogue'

Pervez Musharraf: "We poisoned Pakistani civil society for 10 years."

Pakistan trained militant underground groups to fight against India in Kashmir, former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf admitted in an interview with SPIEGEL. In addition, the 67-year-old explains why he wants to leave his exile in London and return to his country.

SPIEGEL: Pakistanis have been left bewildered by the incompetence of the government led by President Asif Ali Zardari in dealing with the consequences of the disastrous floods. Do you expect another military coup soon?

Musharraf: Whenever the country is in turmoil, everybody looks to the army. But I would suggest that the times of military coups in Pakistan are over. The latest political developments have shown that the Supreme Court has set a bar on itself not to validate a military takeover.

SPIEGEL: How would you judge the performance of your successor, Zardari, and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani?

Musharraf: I do not want to comment on the present government, but everybody can see what they are doing. Pakistan is experiencing a deep economic decline -- in other areas, as well. Law and order are in jeopardy, extremism is on the rise and there is political turmoil. The non-performance of an elected government is the issue.

SPIEGEL: How do you view the role of General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, the man considered to be pulling the strings in Pakistan?

Musharraf: I made him chief of the army, because I thought that he was the best man for the job.

SPIEGEL: When Pakistan's rulers lose power, they traditionally get imprisoned or murdered by their rivals. Why are you founding a party to, once again, get involved in politics instead of enjoying retirement in London, which is at least a safe place?

Musharraf: No risk, no gain. We unfortunately have a culture of vendetta and vindictiveness in Pakistan. But there is no case of corruption or fraud or anything against me at the moment. My political opponents, especially Nawaz Sharif, would love to create a case against me -- that I am corrupt or have committed fraud or some such. They do their best to achieve that, but they haven't succeeded. Even if they did, I would reply in court. Risks need to be taken.

SPIEGEL: Why do you believe that Pakistanis are keenly awaiting your political comeback?

Musharraf: I am not living a hermit's life, I meet people here and in Dubai and receive accurate feedback. I launched my Facebook page eight months ago and today I have more than 315,000 fans. And hundreds of Pakistanis called into a TV show in which I collected money for the flood victims. They donated $3.5 million. Do you think they are doing this because they hate me?

SPIEGEL: Is there anything that you regret -- for example, your secret Kargil Operation, which led to an armed conflict with India in 1999, your arbitrary changes to Pakistan's constitution, your dismissal of the country's highest judge, the lack of concern for Benazir Bhutto's life after her return or your oft-criticized mild treatment of religious militants?

Musharraf: The West blames Pakistan for everything. Nobody asks the Indian prime minister, Why did you arm your country with a nuclear weapon? Why are you killing innocent civilians in Kashmir? Nobody was bothered that Pakistan got split in 1971 because of India's military backing for Bangladesh (which declared independence from Pakistan that year). The United States and Germany gave statements, but they didn't mean anything. Everybody is interested in strategic deals with India, but Pakistan is always seen as the rogue.

SPIEGEL: Why did you form militant underground groups to fight India in Kashmir?

Musharraf: They were indeed formed. The government turned a blind eye because they wanted India to discuss Kashmir.

SPIEGEL: It was the Pakistani security forces that trained them.

Musharraf: The West was ignoring the resolution of the Kashmir issue, which is the core issue of Pakistan. We expected the West -- especially the United States and important countries like Germany -- to resolve the Kashmir issue. Has Germany done that?

Part 2: 'I'm Earning Good Money Here in London, But Pakistan Is My Country'

SPIEGEL: Does that give Pakistan the right to train underground fighters?

Musharraf: Yes, it is the right of any country to promote its own interests when India is not prepared to discuss Kashmir at the United Nations and is not prepared to resolve the dispute in a peaceful manner.

SPIEGEL: And how can a nuclear arsenal be safe when high-ranking officers support proliferation or even personally profit from it, as has been alleged? The nuclear scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan claims that the Pakistani army monitored and organized deals with countries like North Korea and Iran.

Musharraf: That is wrong, absolutely wrong. Mr. Khan is a characterless man.

SPIEGEL: What did the United States offer you in exchange for getting control of the nuclear weapons in Pakistan?

Musharraf: I would be a traitor if I had ever given our nuclear weapons to the United States. This capability is our pride and it will never be compromised.

SPIEGEL: A German member of the militant Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, 36-year-old Ahmad Sidiqi, who has been held by US forces in Afghanistan since July, allegedly told his American interrogators that he was trained in Pakistan and confessed there were plans to attack Europe. Why, nine years after 9/11, does Pakistan remain a breeding ground for international terrorism?

Musharraf: We poisoned Pakistani civil society for 10 years when we fought the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s. It was jihad and we brought in militants from all over the world, with the West and Pakistan together in the lead role. After the withdrawal of the Soviet troops, the West left Pakistan with 25,000 mujahedeen and al-Qaida fighters, without any plan for rehabilitation or resettlement. While you were mostly concerned with the reunification of Germany, we had to cope with this. Now you expect Pakistan to pull out a magic wand and make all of this suddenly disappear? That is not doable -- this will take time.

SPIEGEL: How can the problem be solved?

Musharraf: The West made three blunders so far: After the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan, they abandoned the region in 1989. Then, after 9/11, they fought the Taliban instead of strengthening the Pashtuns who could have taken on the radical Taliban. Now you try to negotiate with so-called "moderate Taliban," but there is no such thing as a moderate Taliban. There are Taliban and Pashtuns. But as I have always said: All Taliban are Pashtun, but not all Pashtun people are Taliban. Again, you should reinforce the ancient Pashtun clans who are not ideologically aligned with the Taliban to govern Afghanistan and to fight the Taliban. That's my strong advice. The fourth and worst blunder would be to quit without winning. Then militancy will prevail not only in Pakistan, India and Kashmir, but perhaps also in Europe, the United Kingdom and in the United States. That's my belief.

SPIEGEL: The al-Qaida chief in Pakistan, Sheikh Fateh al Masri, was recently killed in a US drone attack in North Waziristan. Many al-Qaida leaders are sheltered by the Haqqani network (of warlord Jalaluddin Haqqani). How serious is Pakistan about fighting a former mujahedeen heroes like Haqqani and his son Siraj?

Musharraf: If you hear the new statements from the West that they plan to withdraw their troops and leave Afghanistan in 2011, then Pakistan should think of how to handle the withdrawal scenario. Pakistan needs to find a strategy for its existence, how to tackle the situation with Seraj Haqqani, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, the Pakistani Taliban and Mullah Omar. When the West quits, we will be on our own with them.

SPIEGEL: Do you not fear that when you return to Pakistan, you might face the same fate as Benazir Bhutto, who was murdered in a suicide attack?

Musharraf: Yes, that is a risk, but it won't stop me. I am happy here in London. I am earning good money, but Pakistan is my country.

Interview conducted by Susanne Koelbl

ABOUT PERVEZ MUSHARRAF
Pervez Musharraf, 67, stepped down as president of Pakistan in 2008 following months of protests. He had taken power after a military putsch in 1999. Since his resignation, Musharraf has spent most of his time in London. In the event of his return to Pakistan, Musharraf is threatened with numerous court cases connected to the massive manipulations he resorted to in order to stay in power for so long.

The above continues to highlight the limited role or reach Musharraf has, and that his voice is limited to the Western audience.

He can certainly speak about Afghanistan and the security challenges, he's an expert on that. But if he's trying to build his political career in Pakistan, then Die Spiegel isn't the platform that's going to do that for him.

How many media channels in Pakistan have interviewed him since he announced the launch of the APML? How many print interviews or media channels have run one-on-one's with him? Surely you'd expect them to, and given he has the answers, you'd expect him to participate?

It may be that the media is so stung by the actions he took when he imposed the emergency, that they don't wish to afford him a platform to campaign. Probably. But what is obvious is the negative tone if not slant from some to his proposed return. Dawn and The Nation have run two pretty strong anti-Musharraf opinion pieces just today.

Humayan Akhtar has said Musharraf won't be invited to join the united PML, and he was up until recently running to London and Dubai to meet him. It seems the whole Q league have deserted him.

I am struggling to see how he's going to make it when he has so many enemies across the political divide, the media, the judiciary and maybe even the army.

He's up against it.

An inauspicious beginning

By Kamran Shafi
Tuesday, 05 Oct, 2010

Whilst all the news about the Commando’s ‘entry’ into politics should be relegated to the footnotes of a scrapbook on the doings of dictators, which should then be thrown on to the dung-heap of history, his disgraceful conduct in Birmingham whilst launching his ‘political party’ needs to be written about, if only to remind people that there are no surprises here.

That this is the person we knew for close on nine years, in which time we became used to his mouth running away with him every second day. So, before we consider his latest discourtesy, it would do us well to look at some of what he said while he was ‘president’ of this luckless country.

On the Mukhtaran Mai issue, and on the incidents of **** in Pakistan, Musharraf said in an interview to the Washington Post, given in New York when he was there on one of his annual jaunts to attend the UN General Assembly: “You must understand the environment in Pakistan. This has become a money-making concern. A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped.”

I now quote verbatim from the WP’s editorial, titled ‘Gen Musharraf’s lies’ of Oct 1, 2005 and published after Musharraf denied he had said any such thing: “When Gen Musharraf’s statement provoked an uproar, he responded with another lie: He claimed that he had never made it. In fact, a recording of him speaking is available on The Post’s website, washingtonpost.com. His words are quite clear. ‘These are not my words, and I would go to the extent of saying I am not so silly and stupid to make comments of this sort,’ the general said. Well, yes, he is.”

Need one say more about a man who was referred to in such terms by one of the leading newspapers in the world? Yes one must, to further make the point that whilst it is certain that he will not return to the country in a hurry let alone successfully fight an election and become prime minister, he has fatally flawed characteristics, and is an almost-adolescent unfit for public office. “I will have the last punch,” he said just a year before being hounded from office under threat of impeachment which he did not have the courage to face.

But to Birmingham and before that to London, where Musharraf launched his ‘party’. He was angry, calling people who hold a mirror to him liars and propagandists whilst all the time dissembling and telling half-truths himself. Swearing upon God, for example, that he knew nothing about Afia Siddiqui’s disappearance when his prime minister at the time, Zafarullah Jamali, came on record the very next day to say that he had personally told Musharraf about the rumours of her disappearance upon which he told Jamali to not say anything about it, to let it go — “iss baat ko rehnain dein”.

Birmingham was where he launched a vicious personal attack on Nawaz Sharif, the leader of the second-largest party in the country and a two-time prime minister. The despicable language does not bear repeating. And this is the man who has the gall to take himself seriously as a possible political leader of this country? Most pathetic, indeed pitiable that the much-vaunted Pakistan Army should have produced such a person with such characteristics, who, mark, made it right to the top.

Something wrong in all of this, gentlemen? I mean, he also cheated in the nine-mile run in PMA in direct contravention of the honour system, that should have seen him drummed out. Surely something is very wrong here.

Neither was that all at Musharraf’s so-called debut in electoral politics. A few days before, he made the absurd demand that the army be given a permanent constitutional role in having a say in the day-to-day running of the government of Pakistan. Verbatim: “Pakistan’s army chief ought to be involved in some form, to ensure checks and balances, to ensure good governance ... we must involve the military men. They should have a place to voice their concerns.”

If this is a bone he is throwing to the generals — you scratch my back by engineering me into power and I’ll scratch yours — it is one best left untouched. For if such a thing does come to pass it will mean the death knell for the blessed country and all who sail in her. Which reminds me: after the almost complete alienation of Balochistan, is it the turn of Khyber Paktunkhwa next?

What is the definitive army position on the alleged killing-by-firing-squad video that has inflamed passions across the country? Some reports suggest that after initially denying the incident, the army brass has told the Americans on pain of having military aid cut off, that they will investigate the matter further. Well, could we Pakistanis be told in clear terms what the devil is going on?

As readers well know, I have no truck with those that stuff their ideology down another person’s throat, for example the Taliban. But I will say that even the most monstrous criminal should be convicted through due process, not vigilante justice. The state itself cannot be allowed to become a terrorist.

Endpiece: ‘Militants’ torched Nato supplies in Shikarpur and (DHA Phase-II) Islamabad two nights apart? Tell me another. Who in heaven are we trying to fool?

Even Shuja Nawaz is not welcoming.

General Musharraf's return
By Shuja Nawaz, October 1, 2010 Friday

"Today, God has given me the opportunity to set the tone for my political legacy. Come join me in changing Pakistan's destiny. It is not an easy task but one we must work for, as Pakistan is ours. ‘All Pakistan Muslim League' is our platform from where I will work tirelessly to serve Pakistan and bring back national unity-Pakistan First." With those words on one of his Facebook pages, as promised, former Pakistani president General Pervez Musharraf appears to have launched his new political party out of London. Clearly, he is attuned to the technology of today. But is he attuned to Pakistan?

Musharraf claims to have more than 300,000 youth followers. He has also attracted some serious Pakistani Diaspora supporters, including successful entrepreneurs. But his key support comes from his inner team whom he promoted while in power in Pakistan. Few major politicians inside the country appear to have spoken publicly about their support for him. Some who have met him and then are reported by his media staff to have considered joining his campaign to return to Pakistan in political triumph privately deny that they wish to join him. If his advance guard is telling him that the ground is ready for him in Pakistan, Musharraf needs to do some independent checking. The deck is stacked against him.

First, he faces personal danger from the moment he lands. The militants whom he challenged and attacked have long memories. Second, the leading political parties are more than likely to coalesce against him at the provincial and federal level. He knows well from his own time in power that the rules of the game favor those in power. Imposition of restrictions on public gatherings, closure of meeting places, and other ways of disrupting a political campaign, including ostensibly for Musharraf's own personal safety (as he did by imposing restrictions on Benazir Bhutto immediately after her return in 2007) will likely hobble his campaign. His own Pakistan Muslim League (Q), also known as the King's Party during his presidency, has split and is largely out of the central political game for now. If Musharraf can manage to bring all the bits and pieces of the Muslim League together under his new All Pakistan Muslim League, he may have a core to launch his campaign. But current indications are not very bright on that score. The Muslim League over time has become known as a party of hangers-on and relies on official largesse for life support. Out of power generals and politicians cannot give the Muslim League what it needs to survive.

And then there is the Pakistani Army. It has turned the corner on its former chief, as it always does. A previous Army chief, General Mirza Aslam Beg, found little support inside army headquarters when he launched his party. He has had no traction since. Indeed, few Pakistanis would be able to tell you its name (the Awami Qiyadat Party). Recent conversations with officers at different ranks and including many senior generals about Musharraf's standing indicate clearly that they resent what they call Musharraf's move away from professionalism of the army and infusion of the army into civilian jobs. They are trying to restore that inner core of the army's professionalism now and would resist being drawn into the political fray by Musharraf's return. Most of Musharraf's favorite generals are no longer in key positions inside the army. Some of them have been superseded in the recent promotions as General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, chosen by Musharraf to succeed himself, puts his own stamp on the upper echelons of the army and on the institution as a whole. Finally, the chances of Musharraf being charged with "high treason" and other crimes for upending a democratically elected government in October 1999 and thus drawing the Pakistan army into the defendant's box in court worry the military high command enormously.

While the weakness of the current civilian government may appear to be a tempting target, the negatives surrounding Musharraf's return militate against the successful rebirth of Musharraf the politician. For his own sake and to save Pakistan from further political turmoil, he may wish to re-examine his plans to return. He could do a lot for Pakistan from his current perch abroad by drawing together bright young Pakistanis who could share their knowledge and experience and help foster the rebirth of civil society, using the technological instruments of our times to foster change for the better. He could also perform the role of a philanthropist and an apolitical spokesman for Pakistanis at home and abroad rather than someone who is missing the trappings of power. As he would put it, he needs to place "Pakistan first!"

Shuja Nawaz is director of the South Asia Center at the Atlantic Council in Washington DC.

General Musharraf's Return -- By Shuja Nawaz | The AfPak Channel

Back
Top Bottom