What's new

Mughal’s Rajput policy vs Afghan policy

South India had little Muslim rule, and just when it could have gotten worse, the Maratha power automatically (not intentionally) shielded them.

Did you know the most inspirational wars in our history (and purposely underplayed in Indian history books) is the war of 26 years, when the most powerful mughal of all time, Aurangzeb spent his last 26 years in Deccan trying to suppress the marathas? The maratha capital then was in Gingee, all the way in Tamilnadu!

The marathas won, and 6 years from Aurangzeb's death, were in Delhi.

Mughals are vastly romanticized in India.

As are the Ghaznavids by the Muslim ruled over India for 1000 years non sense.

These same people will tell you that India was a recent nationality as well.

Before that, Vijayanagar Empire shielded the culture for centuries. After Vijayanagar empire fell then Marathas rose to prominence after several decades.

I was about to say this. Vijayanagar Actually did stand as a block against Mughal Southern expansion.

Mughals are vastly romanticized in India.

As are the Ghaznavids by the Muslim ruled over India for 1000 years non sense.

These same people will tell you that India was a recent nationality as well.

I was about to say this. Vijayanagar Actually did stand as a block against Mughal Southern expansion.
Until that is the Sultans of Deccan did the deed for the Mughals :)

Until that is the Sultans of Deccan did the deed for the Mughals :)

But those Sultans were never able to build an Empire that could even remotely match the cultural, Militaristic, social, economical splendour of the Vijayanagara kingdoms, or the Chola Kingdom before that.

It still doesn't change the fact that South Indian culture by and large, and by that I mean Classical Hindu culture has survived Intact in Southern India. Temples in Tamil nadu are a sight to behold.

What was the Hindu culture in South India 2000 years ago, continue to survive intact, and relatively unadulterated. South India has been able to make leaps and bounds in educating it's citizens, providing healthcare.

South India also escaped unscathed from the partition cataclysm except Andhra Pradesh where a certain (Nizam had to be taken care of).
Sure the Rajputs and the Pathans and the Punjabis all can claim a warrior heritage. But in the modern age, I think South Indians adapted more quickly than the feudals in Pakistan, Northern India.

You have to remember, North Indians have more in common with Pakistanis than they do with South Indians. As a South Indian, I am damn proud that we were able to preserve Ancient Hindu culture.

But those Sultans were never able to build an Empire that could even remotely match the cultural, Militaristic, social, economical splendour of the Vijayanagara kingdoms, or the Chola Kingdom before that.

It still doesn't change the fact that South Indian culture by and large, and by that I mean Classical Hindu culture has survived Intact in Southern India. Temples in Tamil nadu are a sight to behold.

What was the Hindu culture in South India 2000 years ago, continue to survive intact, and relatively unadulterated. South India has been able to make leaps and bounds in educating it's citizens, providing healthcare.

South India also escaped unscathed from the partition cataclysm except Andhra Pradesh where a certain (Nizam had to be taken care of).
Sure the Rajputs and the Pathans and the Punjabis all can claim a warrior heritage. But in the modern age, I think South Indians adapted more quickly than the feudals in Pakistan, Northern India.

You have to remember, North Indians have more in common with Pakistanis than they do with South Indians. As a South Indian, I am damn proud that we were able to preserve Ancient Hindu culture.
Chola Empire is definitely the second greatest Indian empire in my opinion after the Maurya Empire.

Your indeed right about that but then they never got the glory that north India had had either?
When you lead from the front you either get the glory or the worst. Cities of north India like Delhi among the most glorious in line with Rome , Athens , Damascus ,Baghdad and Constantinople etc.
Also i have a question for you , How do South Indians see Tipu Sultan and Haider Ali?( a little detailed answer would be great :)

Chola Empire is definitely the second greatest Indian empire in my opinion after the Maurya Empire.

That's going too far IMO.

But for people like @EyanKhan who is a Pathan I think, it is hard to explain why Vijayanagara and Chola Kingdoms were better than the Deccan sultanates.

A lot of people tend to for the calculus of an Empire's greatness by equating it with Landmass and Military strength.

IMHO, Vijayanagara and Chola Kingdoms were immense patrons of art, culture etc.

Stories of Thenali Raman are told even today. The temples in Tamil Nadu still astounds visitors.

Tamil is one of the greatest classical languages, and it experienced an enrichment of literature in the Chola period. These two Kingdoms to South Indians brought an immense amount of cultural and social capital.

Something to base their identities on and serve as the guardians of that classical culture.

Your indeed right about that but then they never got the glory that north India had had either?
When you lead from the front you either get the glory or the worst. Cities of north India like Delhi among the most glorious in line with Rome , Athens , Damascus ,Baghdad and Constantinople etc.
Also i have a question for you , How do South Indians see Tipu Sultan and Haider Ali?( a little detailed answer would be great :)

Depends on whom you ask. For a section of people, he is a hero who stood upto the British. His Father and him did beat the British in two battles. So he remains a symbol of that resistance. He still has that mythos about him of that of being a ferocious customer.

But if you were to ask the Hindus in kerala what they think of Tipu Sultan, they will tell you about how he slaughtered the Hindus in Malabar, until he was pushed back by the Travancore Kingdom with the aid of the British.

In reference to cities like Delhi, well when I mention Delhi today, what do you think of?

I mean, people can chestbeat about the warrior ethos of Pathans, ajputs and the Punjabis, but for the longest time, development lied in the South.

And no offense, I am glad the Mughals stayed up in the North, Because we escaped the cataclysm of the partition (except the pesky Nizam of Hyderabad).

And we were able to survive with our identities intact, despite the Mughlas, The Deccan sultans, The Hind brigade etc.

@EyanKhan India's greatest strength and it's weakness is it's sheer diversity.

I come from the Nair community, and it tended to be Matriarchal :laugh:

South India had little Muslim rule, and just when it could have gotten worse, the Maratha power automatically (not intentionally) shielded them.

Did you know the most inspirational wars in our history (and purposely underplayed in Indian history books) is the war of 26 years, when the most powerful mughal of all time, Aurangzeb spent his last 26 years in Deccan trying to suppress the marathas? The maratha capital then was in Gingee, all the way in Tamilnadu!

The marathas won, and 6 years from Aurangzeb's death, were in Delhi.

The Maratha War of Independence

Depends on whom you ask. For a section of people, he is a hero who stood upto the British. His Father and him did beat the British in two battles. So he remains a symbol of that resistance. He still has that mythos about him of that of being a ferocious customer.

But if you were to ask the Hindus in kerala what they think of Tipu Sultan, they will tell you about how he slaughtered the Hindus in Malabar, until he was pushed back by the Travancore Kingdom with the aid of the British.

In reference to cities like Delhi, well when I mention Delhi today, what do you think of?

I mean, people can chestbeat about the warrior ethos of Pathans, ajputs and the Punjabis, but for the longest time, development lied in the South.

And no offense, I am glad the Mughals stayed up in the North, Because we escaped the cataclysm of the partition (except the pesky Nizam of Hyderabad).

And we were able to survive with our identities intact, despite the Mughlas, The Deccan sultans, The Hind brigade etc.

@EyanKhan India's greatest strength and it's weakness is it's sheer diversity.

I come from the Nair community, and it tended to be Matriarchal :laugh:

Thats a great post. BTW when some muslims trumpet the ''glory of Delhi'', it sounds like they are asking ''look at the great mosques in north India, where are the great Hindu Temples in north India???''

I feel like hitting my head on a wall. Marathas should have levelled to the ground the red fort, fatehpur sikri and the jama mosque, then i would have asked them with a straight face about the glory of Delhi!!!

How a superior and more tolerant culture became a victim of our own tolerance is a human tragedy.

Qutb Minar and its Monuments, Delhi - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

Last edited:
Thats a great post. BTW when some muslims trumpet the ''glory of Delhi'', it sounds like they are asking ''look at the great mosques in north India, where are the great Hindu Temples in north India???''

I feel like hitting my head on a wall. Marathas should have levelled to the ground the red fort, fatehpur sikri and the jama mosque, then i would have asked them with a straight face about the glory of Delhi!!!

How a superior and more tolerant culture became a victim of our own tolerance is a human tragedy.

People again make the Mistake of judging an empire by it's military conquest alone.

Ashoka The Great, Under his patronage Buddhism one of the great religions of today was able to spread it's wings from it's infancy.

What other Empire in Indian history, can claim the sort of scientific, artistic, literature legacy of that of the Guptas?

Vijayanagara and before that Chola did that for the South.

I am not dissing Muslims or the Mughals. In fact, like it or not, they did have immense contributions to our Kaleidoscopic culture.

But the importance of various empires tend to gain importance depending on the narrative.

A people who have no future look to their past. I don't want to become that :)

People again make the Mistake of judging an empire by it's military conquest alone.

Ashoka The Great, Under his patronage Buddhism one of the great religions of today was able to spread it's wings from it's infancy.

What other Empire in Indian history, can claim the sort of scientific, artistic, literature legacy of that of the Guptas?

I am not dissing Muslims or the Mughals. In fact, like it or not, they did have immense contributions to our Kaleidoscopic culture.

But the importance of various empires tend to gain importance depending on the narrative.

People also forget the cultural impact that the Sikh Empire left, almost every major city in the North of India has a Gurudwara from the Empires time.

No I did not mean to diss the Mughals at all. Its the other way round, and my rejection of ''islamic glory chestthumping'' may sound like I'm dissing mughals. Not the intention.

People also forget the cultural impact that the Sikh Empire left, almost every major city in the North of India has a Gurudwara from the Empires time.

I keep forgetting the Sikhs :hitwall:

I keep forgetting the Sikhs :hitwall:
I have noticed that a lot of people including my self do it as well. I know I may be looking at it less from a cultural perspective and more military but the fact they reached the Khyber Pass is impressive even today.

I have noticed that a lot of people including my self do it as well. I know I may be looking at it less from a cultural perspective and more military but the fact they reached the Khyber Pass is impressive even today.

Hey at least you don't come from Kerala.

What are we nown for? Trade. That's it.

And possibly being the reason why white people colonised us.

Damn Black pepper and spices. Damn you!!!

Back
Top Bottom