What's new

MRCA conteders narrowed to Eurofighter and Rafael: IAF

New fighter jets to the Indian air force

:cheers:

IST AGENCIES, August 7, 2010, 19:10

After exhaustive trials six fighters, the Indian Air Force (IAF) has submitted to the Government the choice of the type of fighters that need. For the Force, leading the French Dassault Rafale fighter and the Eurofighter Typhoon, made by European consortium. Bernhard Gerwert, head of EADS, said that "if you consider the portfolio of EADS, we can create a bridge between civil aviation and military aviation." The Americans and the Russians were defeated. The Boeing F-18 is no longer between leaders and Gripen of Sweden fell by deficiencies in the radar.

The engine of the "great thunder" MiG 35s failed to impress, while the F-16, according to Indian Air Force will have no future.

Another reason that favors the Rafale and the Eurofighter's politics. Thomas Matussek, German ambassador, said "We consider India a strategic partner and this is why we do not require the establishment of an agreement for the monitored control end-user, period." So when the "greatest of all the business of defense" been signed for 126 combat aircraft multitasking, the Rafale or the Eurofighter will fly in this business 42 000 Crore (nearly 10 billion dollars).

Notícias do MRCA PLANO BRASIL

I meant between eval and result

Ohh got it ...in that case -- unusually fast i admit...but hey whos complaining...

Lets see what Sarkozy and Obama brings on the table !

The fame of Indians being the best bargainers in the whole world will be put to test with this deal.

^^^ Benny sar..

Looks Brazilians have done a copy , paste from the worst possible news source .. :) ...not a good choice IMO

Now live fist joins in..

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: TIMES NOW: IAF Recommends Rafale & Eurofighter For MMRCA!

TIMES NOW: IAF Recommends Rafale & Eurofighter For MMRCA!"]TIMES NOW: IAF Recommends Rafale & Eurofighter For MMRCA

Just caught this on TimesNOW and boy has it already kicked up a storm! The IAF isn't officially commenting on this, since they don't do that. If this is correct, it matches with Scenario-4 of the possibilities I posted a few days ago. The war of the Eurocanards! Many believe (and have expressed as much here on the blog) that a face-off between the Rafale and Typhoon would be the most appropriate competition if the IAF was looking for truly modern fourth-generation fighter jets, designed and built fresh with forward-looking possibilities, true license-build possibilities. If this report is true, the IAF has basically, with one fell swoop, dismissed the Gripen NG, MiG-35, and both the American teens -- the F-16 Block 60 and F/A-18/E/F -- from the world's most lucrative fighter competition in recent memory. Or it has indicated that it would prefer these two aircraft over the others (which one over the other, though, is tantalizingly not mentioned). Assuming any of this is true, this is hardly the end. Will the government dutifully open commercial bids and pick between the two? Have the others actually been eliminated or simply been pushed down the preference order of merit? Can the government make a political decision between the Rafale and Typhoon? What was all that American pressure all about? Will the government disregard the IAF trials? Will it ask for more trials? Will it go by the book? Will the MMRCA be the Rafale's blistering account opener? Stay tuned. I'm as curious as you are, and will be tracking developments very closely. Read my MMRCA series post a year ago on the Typhoon and Rafale.

Not confirmed and Not true, just talked to some folk, this is a propaganda article, no result or opinions have been released by the IAF or any other official entity yet.This report is only been featured on Times now, which really has no credibility. Shiv on Livefist only posted the article not confirmed it

From what I heard, the F-18 is still pretty much in the lead, The Euro fighter is not getting much support from even the IAF and The Rafale remains the other choice, All other contenders dont have much going for them anyways.

bullshit even the report saya the same about mig35 but the truth is mig35 is using the same mig29 engines that operated in kargil war from good heights so can see the amount of bullshit in it

The Mig's did air defense at Kargil not A2G operations...

I know many here will wonder about typhoon's weaknesses in regard to ground attack, and a lack of AESA. but typhoon tranche III will have good A2G and also, its possible for us to customise typhoon like we did with Su-30MKI. And as for AESA, european consortium is developing one, or we can buy from Israel (Elta 2052)

IMO Typhoon is definitely the best in air-to-air of all the MRCA contesters. It has the best of European systems on it and since it is to be the front line fighter of the EADS consortium nations, it will receive significant upgrades and modifications in the future, which we can be part of.

Indian Mig's are only configured for Air defence..they cannot do A2G...the upgrade deal for the mig's will make them multi-role..including new radar and A2G modes.

What he meant was it operated in that area. Take-off in that region had been troublesome for four contenders due to engine/intakes.

Karan ---Fast ??? :no: .....

Its been more than a decade since GoI..started this drama of MRCA...its time for the sake of internet bandwidth that we give some closure to it ...... :lazy:

Gentlemen (and woman)

This is a false news in all probability !!! I simply cant believe how EF got through trials..the emphasis for MRCA should have been A2G...and EF lacks in this arena as well as it doesnt have AESA radar.

To top it off -- it is the most expensive ! please keep in mind , India will be a member of consrtium is all BS...
Offers are done in terms of contracts and agreements signed dude. If they have that on the contract and made a formal offer, they cannot simply say "oh we did that so that you could buy our product.. now you can forget about it".

Typhoon is expensive but its a superb fighter. If EF wins, the first 18 off the shelf would be of tranche 2 (A2A specializing) while the remaining would be in tranche 3 configuration that is a truly multirole fighter.

Rafale has a better chance in that aspect along with taking IAF's romance with Mirage 2000 as a factor.

Oh get this damn thing over with. I hope this news also turns out to be official. Would hate to see F-16IN or F/A-18 " the strings attached one" Super Hornet in IAF colours.

I know many here will wonder about typhoon's weaknesses in regard to ground attack, and a lack of AESA. but typhoon tranche III will have good A2G and also, its possible for us to customise typhoon like we did with Su-30MKI. And as for AESA, european consortium is developing one, or we can buy from Israel (Elta 2052)

When will tranche III come ? with regards to AESA-- as is EF is expensive..if we want to integrate Israeli radar then who will fund this development costs.

Radar integration is not that simple --everything from your nose size to cooling requirements matter.

Rafale is doing all that in its current form -- and better its been used in forward operational bases in AF. The weakest point of Rafale is less amount of thrust (but it still retains greater than 1 TWR)

My choice was Gripen -- but if its radar has a problem then i guess its a no brainer that it is no longer in the competion. Gut says it will F18SH

Sancho --

Any more updates from the Brazillian gentlemen ?

God Damnit -- why dont we have ex IAF pilots on some forum ? We have some fine posters here in def.pk who gets some good information when it comes to pak defence matter.

My favourites are EF and F18... hopefully atleast one of them makes it to the podium!

Last edited:

Hi Su-47, so far most of this is not correct!

The tranche 3 is still not decided by the partners, so nobody can really say what A2G capabilities it will have and moreover when exactly.
AESA pre production starts only by 2013, serial production by 2015, or later. It's reported that they offered IAF EFs with the actual multi-mode pulse doppler radar for the first squad in 2014, to retrofit them with AESA later, but that doesn't fit the requirement!
We can't buy Elta 2052, just like a similar customisation as MKI is not possible, if at all, we might integrate Indian weapons, but apart from that nothing is on offer here.

That's why it would be surprising that IAF would shortlist the EF through the technical evaluation. That MoD, or GoI would like to see them is a different point, because it is not deniable that they offer political, or offset advantages, but that come after the shortlisting only.

Sancho --

Any more updates from the Brazillian gentlemen ?

No sorry, but since it turns out that nearly everything he said about the Brazilan technical evaluation was true, this report would also proof those things he said about MMRCA.

Offers are done in terms of contracts and agreements signed dude. If they have that on the contract and made a formal offer, they cannot simply say "oh we did that so that you could buy our product.. now you can forget about it".

No no..i am not disputing the fact that EF will offer A2G in the end..but we have to make a choice...whether we want to select a platform which has matured reasonably ..and any more maturity will only increase its multi role capabilities .i.e Rafale. OR
whether we want to choose a platform which is yet to mature in terms of multi role capabilities and AESA radar. Also the fact that consortium is notoriously slow in these matters doesnt help us.

Typhoon is expensive but its a superb fighter. If EF wins, the first 18 off the shelf would be of tranche 2 (A2A specializing) while the remaining would be in tranche 3 configuration that is a truly multirole fighter.

EF is a great fighter ..but tranche 3 has still lot of time...only time will tell.
in fact how many fighters has UAE received ? when will they receive Tranche 3 ?

Back
Top Bottom