What's new

Moroccan-Italian negotiations to acquire two Berghamini Italian FREEM SW and air defense frigates

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
D42A1FDD-0A7F-42A7-A7D9-6640B5110453.jpeg

In a new piece of news, an Italian magazine challenged Moroccan-Italian negotiations with Fincantieri to acquire two pieces of the Italian FREEM SW and air defense frigate.

The frigate is armed with anti-ship missiles and torpedoes, in addition to the Aster-30 long-range air defense with a range of 120 km and the Aster-15 short-range air defense with a range of 30 km.

Within the framework of a plan to strengthen the Royal Navy fleet to confront the new challenges imposed by the expansion of the Kingdom’s maritime domain, the increasing possibilities of finding riches off the coast of the Kingdom, and the increasing risks to our vast maritime domain, the Royal Armed Forces and the Royal Navy worked within the framework of a project known as OMEGA to supply the fleet with new combat units for blue water.

In this context, Italian press sources revealed that there are negotiations between the Kingdom and the Italian company Fincantieri in order to supply the Royal Navy with FREMM Carlo Bergamini units in their anti-submarine version.

This trend, if confirmed, reflects the growing importance of the maritime domains in the strategy of protecting the national security of the Kingdom and as one of the locomotives of the country's comprehensive development.

https://www.rid.it/shownews/4253

* Egypt always starts the trend as we've seen with the Rafale.. and now with the Berghamini frigates.. after Indonesia bought 6 recently after Egypt , now is the turn of Morocco.. not to say that Canada too showed interest..
Egypt always starts the trend as we've seen with the Rafale.. and now with the Berghamini frigates.. after Indonesia bought 6 recently after Egypt , now is the turn of Morocco.. not to say that Canada too showed interest..

Last edited:
* Egypt always starts the trend as we've seen with the Rafale.. and now with the Berghamini frigates.. after Indonesia bought 6 recently after Egypt , now is the turn of Morocco.. not to say that Canada too showed interest..
Egypt always starts the trend as we've seen with the Rafale.. and now with the Berghamini frigates.. after Indonesia bought 6 recently after Egypt , now is the turn of Morocco.. not to say that Canada too showed interest..

Egypt has been promoting the Berghamini indirectly I also think i saw recently that Qatar bought Berghamini weeks ago they recieved one not sure if it was a Berghamini..

UAE needs a ship of this class hopefully Halcon can develop a missile like Aster-15 or Umkhonto and add a booster to it.

Add HAS-250
Add Skyknight
Add the MR/LRSAM

Lethal combination with the weapon systems developed in the UAE.

It was a mini Berghamini.. a corvette for air defense..

Qatar-Al-Zubarah-Giorgio-Arra-1.jpg

I was correct because I remember seeing it here just few weeks ago..

UAE needs a ship of this class hopefully Halcon can develop a missile like Aster-15 or Umkhonto and add a booster to it.

Add HAS-250
Add Skyknight
Add the MR/LRSAM

There is plenty of ships of this class to go for. I would go for Turkish Milgem since their relations is back to normal that comes with added everything and than Halcon can bring in all types of missiles to boost it even more.. Halcon could get a market in countries like Tunisa, Morocco, Egypt, Jordan, Other GCC etc etc

I was correct because I remember seeing it here just few weeks ago..

There is plenty of ships of this class to go for. I would go for Turkish Milgem since their relations is back to normal that comes with added everything and than Halcon can bring in all types of missiles to boost it even more.. Halcon could get a market in countries like Tunisa, Morocco, Egypt, Jordan, Other GCC etc etc
You were wrong..totally out of it..It is not Berghamini.. which is a destroyer class.. the Qatari is a corvette class for air defense..they have 2 of them Al Zubarah class corvettes..

You were wrong..totally out of it..It is not Berghamini.. which is a destroyer class.. the Qatari is a corvette class for air defense..they have 2 of them Al Zubarah class corvettes..
The Doha class is very well armed for its size though.

Add HAS-250
Add Skyknight
Add the MR/LRSAM

UAE got the Gowind 2000..with ToT

“the ships will be built by the French high-tech company, Naval Group, in partnership with Abu Dhabi Ship Building Company (ADSB).”

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2...uietly-cut-850-million-deal-for-gowind-ships/
That is the lead ship of the Doha class.
Some call the Doha class ..Al Zubarah class too which is normal as it is the lead ship..

Very well armed indeed..

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-new...s-qatars-1st-air-defense-corvette-al-zubarah/

Last edited:
But it is a mini-Berghamini and a different class but build by the same company

Yes .. and Al Zubarah class too..

Do they call it Al-Zubarah in qatar?

Egypt has been promoting the Berghamini indirectly

Very true, but "indirectly" is the key word, here. And not just the Berghamini FREMMs, but also the French FREMM and it goes back to the Rafales which started everything. Once Egypt bought that jet after Dassault couldn't get a single deal done in over 10 years of having that aircraft, suddenly India's almost dead tender was immediately revived. Qatar bought 36 and now Greece with 18 and more to come including just sparking a lot of interest from many parties.

The same can be said about the Gowind Corvettes that the Egyptian Navy bought 4 of which 3 were built in Egypt and right after that, we saw all sorts of Gowinds of different classes being purchased by several states.

Several other examples but yes, Egypt has certainly opened the door for these manufacturers and now it seems like they've peaked the interest of all the other deals -- including the Rafale -- with the Berghamini. I think the value for the cost is certainly something that is of huge interest to all parties. I think they're priced very well and super competitively as well as being part of the Franco/Italian conglomerate of some of the best naval ship builders in the world and you have a great product that many are interested in. Egyptian unintentional "promoting" being a huge part of the equation.

Now we're just in high anticipation as to whether the Typhoons will be included in the mega deal that supposedly the two Egyptian Berghaminis were part of.

Back
Top Bottom