What's new

More MiG 29K aircraft to be inducted into Navy: Admiral Verma

GORKHALI

Reaction score
More MiG 29K aircraft to be inducted into Navy: Admiral Verma

Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma, on Saturday said that more MiG 29K aircraft and helicopters would be inducted into the Indian Navy in the next two years.

Talking to media after the commissioning of INS Shakti, a fleet tanker, at the Naval Dockyard on Saturday, he said 29 MIG 29K aircraft and 16 helicopters would be acquired within two years.

Earlier, 16 aircraft of this class, (12 fighter and 4 trainee aircraft) had been acquired.
The Navy Chief also said that aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya would be delivered to the Indian Navy as per the schedule, and Italy was extending cooperation for another aircraft carrier, being built by the Cochin shipyard.:taz::devil:

To a question, he said the naval surveillance along the coast had been strengthened in association with the Coast Guard and Marine Police. Fishermen too were being roped in, he said.

Navy and Coast Guard were creating awareness among the fishermen community for this purpose, he said.

The Hindu : News / National : More MiG 29K aircraft to be inducted into Navy: Admiral Verma

Which AC is being built with italian help. IAC 1 OR IAC 2

Its is IAC-1. Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri's assistance was taken for integration of propulsion system. Thats it.

I hope Mig-29K gets hypersonic Brahmos and AESA upgrades in future.

Good. I was worried sick that IN would waste money for another platform of jets than existing ones. MiG-29Ks are more than enough to deal with current threats for at least next 2-2.5 decades. Wasting money on expansive 4.5 gen jets that too a third type would be such a waste. As always, IN shows much more grey matter than Army or IAF.

So 45 Mig 29Ks in all. Which is 1 squadron per carrier plus a few trainers. This will not do. 1 squadron is not enough. it is not a viable force. We need IAC 2 with a minimum of 2/3 squadrons on catapult. Other alternative is to speed up the development of Tejas-2 and make it available to the Vikrant. Vikramaditya with 2 squadrons of Mig 29Ks plus assortment of Kamovs and Seakings is OK.

Good. I was worried sick that IN would waste money for another platform of jets than existing ones. MiG-29Ks are more than enough to deal with current threats for at least next 2-2.5 decades. Wasting money on expansive 4.5 gen jets that too a third type would be such a waste. As always, IN shows much more grey matter than Army or IAF.

Relax buddy, no lack of grey matter in India.

No F-35s for the Indian Navy then? Was kinda hoping for the deal to go through.

Carrier based F-35s? Our carries would need F-35Bs. Future of the F-35B is extremely uncertain.

^^^ Yup,the F-35 Bs.The Indian Navy do show interest in the F-35 program,perhaps due to their association with Sea Harriers.

I hope Mig-29K gets hypersonic Brahmos and AESA upgrades in future.
If this deal hasn't been signed yet we should look for other options also may be MMRCA like Typhoon and Gripen because they haven't been developed yet and can be developed according to Indian requirements or why IN is not looking for Su33 ? I mean Mig 29 has a serious design flaw, i know correctional measures have been taken but flaw still exists.

Su33
gallery_1354_9_213212.jpg

The only problem with Su33 and future FGFA is they both are too big for smaller Indian aircraft carriers.

But if nothing changes then i think i agree with with you. We should definitely go for aesa but i doubt brahmos can be fit on Mig29 but if it doesnot i think we should purchase some MBDA Storm Shadow for right now and later we should purchase perseus to fit our medium category fighter jet since Brahmos is too big.

And who said that Russia's days are over when the MiG-35 was ovelooked for the MMRCA. Soviets are still playing ball - Super MKIs or these, the game is on for them...

So 45 Mig 29Ks in all. Which is 1 squadron per carrier plus a few trainers. This will not do. 1 squadron is not enough. it is not a viable force. We need IAC 2 with a minimum of 2/3 squadrons on catapult. Other alternative is to speed up the development of Tejas-2 and make it available to the Vikrant. Vikramaditya with 2 squadrons of Mig 29Ks plus assortment of Kamovs and Seakings is OK.

No F-35s for the Indian Navy then? Was kinda hoping for the deal to go through.

^^^ Yup,the F-35 Bs.The Indian Navy do show interest in the F-35 program,perhaps due to their association with Sea Harriers.

Why is everyone making out that the chances of other fighters is over? This isn't news- the confirmation of follow on (29) over original 16 was made earlier this year. 45 fighters is likely to be organised into 2 fighter and 1 training SQDs (with fighter SQDs also having 1-2 KUBs for "mini-AWACS", designation, strike and "live" training roles). These 2 fighter SQDs are just about enough for Vikramditya and IAC-1 if you don't take into account N-LCA, even then it is stretching it as I believe both carriers will be able to embark ~30 such fighters so if both CBGs were deployed then they could both not operate with full air wings. This follow on order for 29 has NOTHING to do with the IN's N-MMRCA which is likely to be for CATOAR fighters and primarily/solely for IAC-2 and other future 65,000+ ton carriers for which the MIG-29Ks are unlikely to be operated. My guess is IN is taking its time to not only wait for outcome of IAF's MMRCA but also for the induction of a carrier just to get a firmer grasp on what they actually want their future carriers to do along with the fighters they want. To this extent the F-35B/C is very much in with a good shot, especially at the timelines we are looking at, 2017-

Back
Top Bottom