What's new

Military's role in the identity of Pakistan

Thank you!

extend my queries ? I have absolutely no idea of what that means...:blink:

I just start changing the topic here??

What I meant was you could use the same thread for rest of your questions about other provinces. Tag members you think are helpful and ask them for their input on other provinces.

@hinduguy and @LoveIcon

yes i guess you guys are right....
I have to focus on the most important related to my specific topic (role of military)

@Shahmir kashmir

thanks!! i never heard of it...
I am googling Jageerdar but not able to find anything... is there other type of spelling?

Punjabis had significant representation in British Indian army, so after partition Pakistan inherited army which was already Punjab dominated (and Pashtun were second largest group)- Even in Indian army Sikh Punjabis' ratio was too high as compare to their population and even today their share in Indian army is higher as compare to their share in Indian population.

Just Punjab's dominance in Army is not actual factor which caused dominance of Punjab in Pakistan, you have to look other aspects

Pakistan didn't inherited democratic systems unlike India. And we failed to establish it in early years as literacy rate was very low on top of that Southern Punjab & Sindh was/is in clutches of feudalism, Sardars/Head of tribes in Baluchistan, and tribalism in most of NWFP. And our elite was more interested in power than institute building - Our president "Eskandar Mirza" imposed first marshal law by saying that democracy is not suitable for country with low literacy rate. Absence of democratic institute and incompetent & opportunist ruling elite created space which army generals filled. By 1973 when we made proper constitution the Army's influence was already very strong.

In early decades Pakistan's economy was based on Agriculture as we didn't had industrial base. And Punjab had lion share in agriculture output, which gave her leverage in decision making.

The good thing which happen to Punjab & urban South Punjab (exc. rural south) was that it was not under feudalism/Sardars/Tribalism (thanks to British who distributed lands in smaller portions) - so, with economic prosperity Punjabis started focusing on education and started opting govt. jobs, other professions and industries.

So - imho, yes Punjabies dominated Pakistan for decades, but saying that just because of Army it dominated is gross injustice as common Punjabi had earn his/her prosperity by working hard.

Last edited:
These dogras are better looking than any Punjabi or Pakistani I've ever seen :smitten:
You need to go out more. Plenty of Punjabis look like that. That look is typical of Khatri, Brahmin, Arora caste Punjabis who tend to have this type of look.

Back
Top Bottom