What's new

Militants shoot down US drone in S. Waziristan: officials

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 hour ago

MIRANSHAH, Pakistan (AFP) — Taliban militants on Saturday shot down a pilotless US drone in a Pakistani tribal area bordering Afghanistan, officials said.

Residents and a local police official said two drones were flying low over a village in the South Waziristan tribal district when one of them was hit by militant fire.

"We heard the firing by Taliban and then a drone fell down," tribal police official Israr Khan told AFP.

Another security official said the drone crashed in a forest near a Pakistani border post.

"Apparently a drone has crashed in the nearby forest, we are searching for its wreckage," a security official told AFP.

Pakistan's chief military spokesman said the reports of a drone crash were being investigated.

"We have come to know that something has happened there, but we do not have any confirmation," major general Athar Abbas told AFP in Islamabad.

"We are further investigating and trying to find out."

More than two dozen suspected US drone attacks have been carried out in Pakistan since August 2008, killing more than 200 people, most of them militants.

At least eight militants were killed on March 1, in a US missile strike which destroyed a Taliban hide-out in South Waziristan, a known haven for Taliban and Al-Qaeda extremists.

Militant commander Baitullah Mehsud who heads the feared Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) is based in South Waziristan and is the country's most wanted militant, accused of plotting the 2007 assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto.

Pakistan is a key ally in the US-led "war against terror" but the strikes have fuelled anti-American sentiment in the country, particularly in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan.

US and Afghan officials have accused Pakistan of not doing enough to crack down on the militants, who cross the border to attack US and NATO troops.

Pakistan rejects the accusation, pointing out that more than 1,500 Pakistani troops have died at the hands of Islamist extremists since 2002.

The lawless tribal areas have been wracked by violence since Afghanistan's Taliban regime was toppled by a US-led invasion in late 2001, prompting hundreds of fighters to flood the region.

as i posted in my last of posts regurding US drones, it starts happening now!;)
i want to see , reaction from US?:lol::tup::pakistan:

hahahaha.... ya i remember ur words
have u got any link with those ppl :devil:

May be it is not shot by Taliban but by a proper ack-ack.

what can strike somthing flying app 30,000 feet ??????what taliban has , some special AA gun, which can't be. Only possibility left is technical problem in plane...

It could be possible but I doubt they could shoot it down. Militants always fire in the sky when they see an Apache or drone. Only reason a drone would be flying so low and get hit by small arms is if it was going to launch an attack and before they do they are usually flying high and in the area for a few hours. No mention of this in the articles.

well some are also sayin it developed techinal fault which lead to the crash. however i am quite sure we will never get to know the truth

What did they (the militants or Taliban) use to shoot down this UAV or Drone?

I'm guessing an RPG or perhaps there are still some stinger missiles left from the Soviet-Afghan War still being used by some militants...

"...i am quite sure we will never get to know the truth"

Does anybody get to know the "truth" from FATA anyway?

If shot down, it'll be replaced. Big deal. I wonder what would happen had there been an American pilot on board. More or less celebration here. What if it was flying with PAF markings? Many of you want control of these missions.

Would that please you? This is much ado about nothing save the reactions expressed here. If you're happy, then you're on the wrong side of this war.

PREDATOR attacks the enemies of your nation where you can't or won't go...and kills them. PREDATOR is a natural reaction to the use of your lands by these enemies to make war on Afghanistan. PREDATOR HITS it's targets with stunning accuracy and boring regularity. It is reliable and does not level entire cities unlike your forces at Loe Sam. IT IS NOT THE CAUSE OF 800,000SWAT AND BAJAUR REFUGEES.

If true and you're happy-congratulations. You've killed one pilotless drone and again proved the final value of such aircraft. Needless to say we won't be holding our breaths awaiting the next. It's not often. Certainly less often than the strikes which will be delivered by PREDATOR and REAPER.

If true, nice shot. Go for double or nothing? If you hit it, I'll give you the nice soft bunny for your girlfriend. You know?...the one that's right here-:bunny::usflag:

Happy hunting!

"...i am quite sure we will never get to know the truth"

Does anybody get to know the "truth" from FATA anyway?

If shot down, it'll be replaced. Big deal. I wonder what would happen had there been an American pilot on board. More or less celebration here. What if it was flying with PAF markings? Many of you want control of these missions.

Would that please you? This is much ado about nothing save the reactions expressed here. If you're happy, then you're on the wrong side of this war.

PREDATOR attacks the enemies of your nation where you can't or won't go...and kills them. PREDATOR is a natural reaction to the use of your lands by these enemies to make war on Afghanistan. PREDATOR HITS it's targets with stunning accuracy and boring regularity. It is reliable and does not level entire cities unlike your forces at Loe Sam. IT IS NOT THE CAUSE OF 800,000SWAT AND BAJAUR REFUGEES.

If true and you're happy-congratulations. You've killed one pilotless drone and again proved the final value of such aircraft. Needless to say we won't be holding our breaths awaiting the next. It's not often. Certainly less often than the strikes which will be delivered by PREDATOR and REAPER.

If true, nice shot. Go for double or nothing? If you hit it, I'll give you the nice soft bunny for your girlfriend. You know?...the one that's right here-:bunny::usflag:

Happy hunting!

I dont think so it was shot down. It is not an easy task to shoot a drone with a hand gun. or even AK-47 , If it was a helicopter i might have given some points to shooting down theory.

There must be some technical problem for the crash.

Stunning accuracy ? yeh yeh it was out of many drone attacks not one was accurate. If it was then why those so-called Al-qaeda top leader claimed to be attacked and killed by US in FATA somehow come alive and threatening India :lol: dead Al-qaeda leaders issuing threats.

For the celeberation part i would say it doesnt matter if it had crashed or if it was shot down as long as its US drone which intended to kill small childern and innocent women in FATA, the happines is due over crash of US killer drone.

:cheers:

Sooner or later, the insurgents/freedom fighters will develop tactics and acquire weapons to down the Drones or whatever. It is only a matter of time. If US or NATO is in illusion that Russia, China, Iran, and Pakistan (yes even Pakistan) will allow Afghanistan to go into their hands, they are living in the paradise of insanes (is there a better translation for 'ahmaqon ki jannat?). This is a gorilla war, the objective is not to defeat the enemy, but to bleed the enemy to death. And if one thing Afghans are good at, it is this.

Well Who said they can't be brought Down.

Our Defence Misiter used to say "we don't have the capability" well.....you better Ask the Pathans. :woot::rofl::rofl:

"It is reliable and does not level entire cities unlike your forces at Loe Sam..."

But drones don’t secure Loe Sam either, unlike our forces. An initial Predator strike was what exasperated, if not triggered, Bajour into open revolt which is what laid the ground for this operation…but I see facts of this nature are not often mentioned from your end, probably in light of all your ‘Pakistan is instigating the Taliban against us’ paranoia. Well, you’re doing a pretty good job of it yourselves as far as many people in the tribal areas are concerned I must say. The PA just had to go and clean up the supreme mess your blundering and misguided attempts at interfere heavily contributed to, if not completely resulted in…at the cost of much I might add. I’m surprised you have the audacity to come here, moan about our refugees and rant about how much more ‘effective’ your little UCAVs are in comparison to the PA, when it is the PA trying to unfcuk the both of us in Bajour.

Personally I’m pretty sure these drones are not flying PAF colors. Frankly, I’m not even certain if they’re worth it given the long term political and local implications. So yeah, we’re not too worried it was shot down, the Americans can afford more no doubt. The only reason we’re not the ones shooting them down over selves is because, well it is prudent to handle one annoying intruder at a time. But that don’t necessarily make them right, authorized or productive. However you go ahead and applaud them while they last…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom