What's new

Militants attack Iraq's Samarra, sparking heavy fighting

Falcon29

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Militants attack Iraq's Samarra, sparking heavy fighting | Maan News Agency

SAMARRA, Iraq (AFP) -- Militants launched a major attack on the Iraqi city of Samarra Thursday and occupied several neighborhoods, sparking house-to-house fighting and helicopter strikes in which dozens of people were reportedly killed.

Security forces ultimately regained control of the militant-held areas, a senior army officer said, but the attack was yet another example of the long reach of militants in Iraq.

On Thursday morning, militants travelling in dozens of vehicles, some mounted with anti-aircraft guns, attacked a major checkpoint on the southeast side of Samarra, killing the security forces guarding it and burning their vehicles, witnesses said.

They then took control of several areas of the city, located north of Baghdad, according to witnesses, who reported seeing the bodies of both security forces and gunmen in the streets.

The assault sparked heavy fighting, and a police officer said reinforcements including members of Iraq's elite counter-terrorism forces were dispatched to Samarra to combat the militants.

At one point, an AFP journalist saw helicopters firing into the city.

Staff Lieutenant General Sabah al-Fatlawi said on Thursday night that security forces and tribal fighters were able to regain control of the city.

"We have completely dismissed the armed groups from Samarra and we are now pursuing them outside the city," Fatlawi said.

"We were able to kill 80 (militants) in strikes and attacks and clashes, from house to house and one street to another," he said.

A police colonel and a doctor said that 12 police were killed in the violence.

Militants also attacked the home of Science and Technology Minister Abdulkarim al-Samarraie in the Khadra area of Samarra, killing three of his guards, police and a doctor said.

In other violence on Thursday, bombings in the Baghdad area killed three people, while four more were shot dead with silenced weapons in the northern city of Mosul, security and medical officials said.

Security forces killed 40 militants south of Mosul and one inside the city, officials said.

The assault in Samarra came as a standoff between anti-government fighters and security forces in Iraq's Anbar province, west of Baghdad, entered its sixth month.

More fabricated numbers by the Al-Haliki regime, LOL.

They should try this again, liberate Iraq inch by inch. :cheers:

@1000 @Dizer

Last edited:
Deadly fighting breaks out in Iraq's Mosul - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Gun battles and car bombs targeting the military in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul have killed 20 people and injured over 60, according to local journalists.

Clashes were reported in 12 districts of the city as an army base and military posts were attacked.

The violence comes a day after fighters launched an offensive on Samarra, also in the country’s north, killing seven members of the security forces and taking control of some areas of the city, officials said.

The assault on Samarra, a Sunni-dominated city 95 kilometres from Baghdad, started with dozens of gunmen driving into the city in SUVs and attacking security checkpoints and police stations on Thursday morning.

Reinforcements were sent in and local authorities imposed a curfew.

Helicopter gunships bombed fighters’ positions, pushing the attackers back, though they remained in control of some areas of the city by the late afternoon. Security forces said on Friday that they had regained control

Local hospital officials said that apart from the seven policemen and soldiers killed, several attackers also died. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to talk to media.

Samarra was the scene of a major turning point in the Sunni-Shia sectarian struggle in Iraq following the 2003 US-led invasion. In 2006, al-Qaeda-linked Sunni fighters bombed the city's revered Shia al-Askari shrine, triggering a wave of sectarian violence that brought Iraq to the brink of civil war.

Minority targeted

in a seperate development, authorities said back-to-back car bomb attacks killed seven people belonging to an ethnic minority in the north.

Police officials said the explosions on Friday morning took place in Tahrawa, a village inhabited by families from the Shabak ethnic group, who have their own distinct language and belief system.

The village is near the city of Mosul, 360 kilometres northwest of Baghdad.

Police say about 37 people were wounded in the blasts.

Hospital officials confirmed the toll from the attack. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to release details to journalists.

Is this random sporadic violence or are their any objectives by both sides?

They should try this again, liberate Iraq inch by inch. :cheers:

@1000 @Dizer

Yeah people are getting killed and you celebrate it.

Here in Mosul like you proudly posted your news while ISIS killed children, some look 5-6 year old.
ISIS blowing themselves up and firing mortars random on populated areas.

Should I celebrate Israeli airstrikes on your Falasteezi friends ? you were crying about your cousin and your friends yet you celebrate it when others die.

Don't cry to anyone in the region about arms or money anymore, 'free' your 'country' on your own.

Btw don't come back with RIP or any of that bullshit, just gtfo.

Last edited:
Yeah people are getting killed and you celebrate it.

Here in Mosul like you proudly posted your news while ISIS killed children, some look 5-6 year old.
ISIS blowing themselves up and firing mortars random on populated areas.

Should I celebrate Israeli airstrikes on your Falasteezi friends ? you were crying about your cousin and your friends yet you celebrate it when others die.

Don't cry to anyone in the region about arms or money anymore, 'free' your 'country' on your own.

Btw don't come back with RIP or any of that bullshit, just gtfo.

Mosul is a Sunni town, which the Iraqi army was shelling. The Iraqi army has already killed over several hundred civilians in Fallujah alone. The Sunni rebels targeted an Iraqi military base, the losses are from the army. No reliable sources have come out to accuse the rebels of killing civilians. All deaths are unfortunate, what are you going to do when you're being persecuted by a government and it's army.

The last I'd believe is a shia facebook source, Shia are accumulated to lying. Of course save us your crocodile tears, where were you over the hundreds of civilians killed in the past two months?

As for my people, your kind was saying the same thing in 2012 and celebrating. Your kind said we would be destroyed and your kind said 'see what Qatar will do for you'. I could dig up the posts of your kind on this forum. Then your kind all became silent after Hamas brought Israel to the ceasefire table in 7 days. Hamas never retaliated on the first day except with several rockets at the night. All of that was done in seven days.

My nation isn't going to be liberated in the way you think it will be. People that fight to liberate a holy land don't do so for X or Y. They do so to reap a reward from God. Get that through your head.

And none of your kind shed a single tear on the dozens of thousands of civilians killed by your kind in Syria. Or the tens of thousands of woman raped by your kind in Syria. Why do you think people will tolerate your kind? Keep this up and all of you will go back to your home in Iran. And you will see what's going to happen to the so called 'anti-israel' Hezbollah which already lost all it's experienced fighters in Syria. All of this because you guys supported a dictator of your kind against the people. Don't blame us for the mess you created. Now there's no going back unless any of you start denouncing the regime and distance yourselves from them.

Whether you like it or not we're going to see increased violence and much more Jihadism in this region as foretold to us by God. There's only double digits left in this world.

Iraq Militants Attack Anbar University, 3 Guards Killed

Iraq militants attacked Anbar University, located in the central Iraq city of Ramadi, on Saturday. The gunmen are reportedly from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL also known as ISIS) and seized the university, holding several students hostages and killing three guards before a counterattack led to the withdrawal of the militants.

Mosul is a Sunni town, which the Iraqi army was shelling. The Iraqi army has already killed over several hundred civilians in Fallujah alone. The Sunni rebels targeted an Iraqi military base, the losses are from the army. No reliable sources have come out to accuse the rebels of killing civilians. All deaths are unfortunate, what are you going to do when you're being persecuted by a government and it's army.

The last I'd believe is a shia facebook source, Shia are accumulated to lying. Of course save us your crocodile tears, where were you over the hundreds of civilians killed in the past two months?

As for my people, your kind was saying the same thing in 2012 and celebrating. Your kind said we would be destroyed and your kind said 'see what Qatar will do for you'. I could dig up the posts of your kind on this forum. Then your kind all became silent after Hamas brought Israel to the ceasefire table in 7 days. Hamas never retaliated on the first day except with several rockets at the night. All of that was done in seven days.

My nation isn't going to be liberated in the way you think it will be. People that fight to liberate a holy land don't do so for X or Y. They do so to reap a reward from God. Get that through your head.

And none of your kind shed a single tear on the dozens of thousands of civilians killed by your kind in Syria. Or the tens of thousands of woman raped by your kind in Syria. Why do you think people will tolerate your kind? Keep this up and all of you will go back to your home in Iran. And you will see what's going to happen to the so called 'anti-israel' Hezbollah which already lost all it's experienced fighters in Syria. All of this because you guys supported a dictator of your kind against the people. Don't blame us for the mess you created. Now there's no going back unless any of you start denouncing the regime and distance yourselves from them.

Whether you like it or not we're going to see increased violence and much more Jihadism in this region as foretold to us by God. There's only double digits left in this world.

Mosul is an Iraqi town, it existed thousand of years before the era of Islam.
Keep to your own falasteez 'country', you think your Egyptian one day the next you think your from Iraq ?

@Alshawi1234 knows you guys well enough now he has another confirmation that your all terrorists.

Enjoy the Israeli air force in the mean time since you like the killings in Iraq.

@Serpentine you Iranians should open your eyes about these guys, they only bow for your money and missiles they're trash in reality.

Mosul is an Iraqi town, it existed thousand of years before the era of Islam.
Keep to your own falasteez 'country', you think your Egyptian one day the next you think your from Iraq ?

@Alshawi1234 knows you guys well enough now he has another confirmation that your all terrorists.

Enjoy the Israeli air force in the mean time since you like the killings in Iraq.

@Serpentine you Iranians should open your eyes about these guys, they only bow for your money and missiles they're trash in reality.

Like a little baby can't handle a conversation and tag your friends that you must be assuming I'm afraid of. :lol:

Hamas hasn't gotten arms from Iran since 2011, of course Iran wanted this relationship to be back in 2014. They're the ones who need a connection to Palestine and also need to make sure Israel's enemies aren't weak. You wouldn't understand politics though.

As for Iraq, Iraq is responsible for sending tens of thousands of fighters to support the Syrian regime and a consistent weapons supply to the regime. Not to mention their persecution of the Sunni community. Or their attacks on Sunni cities with hundreds of civilian casualties. And now you're asking America to help you out. So much for your 'resistance'.

Iran, Iraq and Hezbollah could have solved this issue during the months of protest in Syria. They could've shuffled the government and included people from the majority community into the governments influential positions. Everybody would have praised Iran for that. If they integrated some sort of democratic process. Of course Iran and Hezbollah and the regime tell us this was all to fight Israel as the sunni population is trying to protect Israel. Give me a break. Assad is a front line of defense for Israel and Israel acknowledges this. So do Israelis.

It wasn't about Israel, it was Shia trying to keep their Shia sect government in power because they want to dominate Arab nations. They had no problem massacring tens of thousands of civilians in the process or committing other atrocities.

So you tell us, this is about making sure you fight Israel rigth? Yeah sure. Any body with half a brain can see what it's about. You reap what you sow and you haven't seen anything. We've only done less than 1% of what your regime did to the Syrian people.

If it wasn't for the West trying to keep your regime in power in Syria you would have seen the consequences. Only people begging the West to side with them are you guys who are trying to portray yourselves as secular and under threat of genocide. Meanwhile, do all you want and cry to them all you want. See what's going to happen.

These are victims of Malki regime shelling Mosul city a few days ago, Sine you're an Iraqi then i assume you understand Arabic and hear what the guy in the vid is saying, so enough with your boring Taqiyya and stop lying and hiding the truth.

"Hada al Islam"

ISIS uses Islam all the time, The government does not. If it was the government you would hear 'Maliki' all the time in the video, ISIS says they are the real Muslims therefor you hear about Islam in the vid.

You know what ISIS does in Syria and what they think about the Saud family, I don't have to go into details.

Like a little baby can't handle a conversation and tag your friends that you must be assuming I'm afraid of. :lol:

Hamas hasn't gotten arms from Iran since 2011, of course Iran wanted this relationship to be back in 2014. They're the ones who need a connection to Palestine and also need to make sure Israel's enemies aren't weak. You wouldn't understand politics though.

As for Iraq, Iraq is responsible for sending tens of thousands of fighters to support the Syrian regime and a consistent weapons supply to the regime. Not to mention their persecution of the Sunni community. Or their attacks on Sunni cities with hundreds of civilian casualties. And now you're asking America to help you out. So much for your 'resistance'.

Iran, Iraq and Hezbollah could have solved this issue during the months of protest in Syria. They could've shuffled the government and included people from the majority community into the governments influential positions. Everybody would have praised Iran for that. If they integrated some sort of democratic process. Of course Iran and Hezbollah and the regime tell us this was all to fight Israel as the sunni population is trying to protect Israel. Give me a break. Assad is a front line of defense for Israel and Israel acknowledges this. So do Israelis.

It wasn't about Israel, it was Shia trying to keep their Shia sect government in power because they want to dominate Arab nations. They had no problem massacring tens of thousands of civilians in the process or committing other atrocities.

So you tell us, this is about making sure you fight Israel rigth? Yeah sure. Any body with half a brain can see what it's about. You reap what you sow and you haven't seen anything. We've only done less than 1% of what your regime did to the Syrian people.

If it wasn't for the West trying to keep your regime in power in Syria you would have seen the consequences. Only people begging the West to side with them are you guys who are trying to portray yourselves as secular and under threat of genocide. Meanwhile, do all you want and cry to them all you want. See what's going to happen.

Why should I bother when next week you will bow for Ayatollah Bashar like previously, let's see when you will change your mind again like always.

I know mate, I would regret every single dollar and every single bullet given to people like this by my country. I hope the majority aren't like this so what has been spent till now wouldn't go to waste. We should also have it in mind that random guys on internet don't represent a large group of people.

They should try this again, liberate Iraq inch by inch.
Next time, don't complain about me when I say you advocate ISIS-like policies, because what you did here, by this sentence, exactly proves my point. They weren't militants, they were purely ISIS trash who again brought the war to civilian areas and to a city that all people despise them. That's why they lost all of the areas they captured first in the area.

We'll keep this as a proof next time you claim you don't support ISIS or their mentality.

Why should I bother when next week you will bow for Ayatollah Bashar like previously, let's see when you will change your mind again like always.

I was against the Syrian regime since day one. Please show us where I change my mind here. Iran isn't the Syrian regime. I've expressed disappoint with Iran over Syria many times before.

I was against the Syrian regime since day one. Please show us where I change my mind here. Iran isn't the Syrian regime. I've expressed disappoint with Iran over Syria many times before.

Only retards support things half way like you support Hezbollah, your either with them or your not, not 20% as long as they attack Israel ( only care about Palestine nothing else, yet an 'Islamist' ).

I know mate, I would regret every single dollar and every single bullet given to people like this by my country. I hope the majority aren't like this so what has been spent till now wouldn't go to waste. We should also have it in mind that random guys on internet don't represent a large group of people.

You give weapons for your own benefit, genius. Iran doesn't simply 'help' people like you try making it. Keep your money and your very few weapons in contrast to what you give to Hezbollah to yourself. If Iran was doing this simply out of religious sentiment they would've ended it as they initially did in 2011. And all of you were saying we don't want Hamas, yet Iran had no problem getting the relationship back on track.

As for Iraq, what is Iraq your business anyways? So you dislike me because of my views on Iraq and that somehow relates to Iran-Hamas ties? Are you a Shia suprmeacist or seomthing?

Next time, don't complain about me when I say you advocate ISIS-like policies,

How atrocious of Sunni rebels defending their cities from an 'Iraqi' army assault. You advocate regime policies which include all sorts of atrocities ever seen. Save us the crocodile tears.

Only retards support things half way like you support Hezbollah, your either with them or your not, not 20% as long as they attack Israel ( only care about Palestine nothing else, yet an 'Islamist' ).

I could care less about what Hezbollah does as a movement. That is their decision and up to the Lebanese people. Hezbollah isn't there to attack Israel for Palestine. It's there to attack Israel if Israel attacks Iran. I support anybody, regardless of whom they are in a policy which doesn't recognize Israel and encourages change in the region. Which is why I used to support Hezbollah. As an 'Islamic' movement, they lost that credibility after taking part in Syria in support of the regime. You have trouble comprehending English though, as I've said before and I'll say it again.

If a conflict erupts between Lebanon and Israel I will support the Lebanese people irregardless of who initiated the conflict. This is because I'm not of them. I'm not an Israeli or one of their supporters or someone who advances their interests and it will be this way forever.

Politically I support Islamists as evident by my views, it's related to a number of issues which you probably won't understand anyway.

Last edited:
You give weapons for your own benefit, genius. Iran doesn't simply 'help' people like you try making it. Keep your money and your very few weapons in contrast to what you give to Hezbollah to yourself. If Iran was doing this simply out of religious sentiment they would've ended it as they initially did in 2011. And all of you were saying we don't want Hamas, yet Iran had no problem getting the relationship back on track.
Is it really Iran who is trying to get relations back on track or vice versa? Because every single analyst and news source is saying otherwise and it's Hamas who is trying to send its leaders to Iran to resume or increase their money/arms receiving.

As for Iraq, what is Iraq your business anyways? So you dislike me because of my views on Iraq and that somehow relates to Iran-Hamas ties? Are you a Shia suprmeacist or seomthing?
No, I don't 'dislike' you as a person, but I dislike your attitude towards Shias, Iraq, Syria and Bahrain. I'm not a religious person as you think, and I don't like my country giving money to people who hate us (if all of them have your attitude). However as I said earlier, you don't represent Palestinians.
How atrocious of Sunni rebels defending their cities from an 'Iraqi' army assault. You advocate regime policies which include all sorts of atrocities ever seen. Save us the crocodile tears.
What? you are kidding right? These people were living safely in city of Samarra. There wasn't even a fighting there. Then the ISIL scums tried to have some adventure by launching an attack on civilian neighborhoods. They are kicked out though, but that doesn't make them any less animals. If you can't distinguish between normal Sunni citizens in Iraq (who are also victims of ISIL), and ISIL, I clearly can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom