What's new

Milgem's new Corvet - Made in Turkey

Dear Mark Sien, I am absolutely not opposed to the idea of JF17 I am only trying to look at the matters objectively. If the advanced version of JF17 is to be ready by 2015 then Turkey will already have received the first F35's.

Secondly all F16's of Turkey are currently in a modernization proces to upscale them all into a block50+ configuration + 30 new block50+ have been ordered.

IMO JF17 has only chance when Turkey decides to go for indigenous avionics, and I think there is a chance since Turkey has the goal to turn her aircraft industry (TAI) into a full design and construction center. The goal is that TAI can develop indigenous airplanes and satellites in the future so JF17 could fit in that strategy.

Hope we will see also cooperation in this area.
I think Turkish development in avionics & ECM/EW would be gold, and hope to see Pakistan cooperate with Turkey in this regard. I honestly don't see Turkey acquiring JF-17, though I hope Turkey begin a National Fighter Program sometime before 2020...what are the chances of that?

I hope Turkey begin a National Fighter Program sometime before 2020...what are the chances of that?
I don't see any program or plans in that regard. Developing a fighter plane from scratch is a very costly business therefore I regard the chance that Turkey will rather join joint development projects like the JF35 in the future. Secondly next to the cost you have to be able to design at very high standards, equall or better than the EF2000 / F35. Otherwise you get a plane like the Indian LCA which has close to no chance to be exported or build in big numbers and already outdated in the very begin.

The Turkish share in the F35 is rather limited and not even included in the design phase. In future programs Turkey will likely be part in the design phase of joint programs

I don't see any program or plans in that regard. Developing a fighter plane from scratch is a very costly business therefore I regard the chance that Turkey will rather join joint development projects like the JF35 in the future. Secondly next to the cost you have to be able to design at very high standards, equall or better than the EF2000 / F35. Otherwise you get a plane like the Indian LCA which has close to no chance to be exported or build in big numbers and already outdated in the very begin.

The Turkish share in the F35 is rather limited and not even included in the design phase. In future programs Turkey will likely be part in the design phase of joint programs
There's news that Pakistan is looking to develop a new frigate with Turkey and Germany to replace its Type-21s. I think this may be TF-2000, though I'm unsure if Germany is helping Turkey...perhaps in propulsion technology I assume?

On the design of the TF2000 we almost do not need any outside help, except for indeed the propulsion which will be most likely MTU diesel (the best on the market) combined with LM gas turbine, like the Milgem is using. The combat system of the TF2000 is the most difficult part, since Aegis and SM2/3 missiles are the prefered ones.

I hardly believe there will be any cooperation between Germany and Turkey on the frigate.

On the design of the TF2000 we almost do not need any outside help, except for indeed the propulsion which will be most likely MTU diesel (the best on the market) combined with LM gas turbine, like the Milgem is using. The combat system of the TF2000 is the most difficult part, since Aegis and SM2/3 missiles are the prefered ones.

I hardly believe there will be any cooperation between Germany and Turkey on the frigate.
sir, is it true turkey is looking at the south korean Dokdo class for their LPD requirement? also, we know that turkey is cooperating with the koreans for their battle tank. Do you think it's possible for cooperation between korea and turkey, to extend for the TF-2000 requirement? KDX-III is quite the AAW beast!

What engine is the Altay MBT using?

Will this tank be available for export when it enters production?

altay tank

engine 1500hp mtu
gun l55 120mm same gun as leopard2a6ex or xk2
armor ll be same armor as k2.
fcs ll be produced by aselsan.its name ll be volkan 2.it ll be improved version of volkan fcs which turkish land forces uses with her leopard1t
tower design is not clear yet.turkish firm otokar working on it.
transmission ll be renk.
it ll have 4 crew so it wont have autoloader system like k2.k2 has 3 crew.
so ı guess it ll be heavier than k2.k2 is 55 ton.i expect altay ll be around 57-63 ton

The main subject is Milgem here but I have to give some information about Altay according to going on the subjects.

You know, The main contactor of Altay is Otokar. Otokar will design and co-operate with Hyundai-Rotem for 4 prototype Altay MBT and then deliver all rights to SSM. Demonstration design of Altay has already shown to media but There can be some differences with demonstration design with prototype. If test phrases of Altay finish successful, Serial production phrase will be started by SSM.

MKE will produce XK-2 Korean barrel in Turkey with full technology transfer. We hope from MKE that It will be the last technology transfer to develop an indigenous 122 mm Tank barrel.

SSM has opened an institue for Roketsan to develop indigenous last generation armours and active protection systems of Tanks. First work will be to produce Korean armours in Turkey with full technology transfer. Turkey has already capable to develop indigenous armours that it has already stooped RPG and armour piercing ammonutions but SSM wants Roketsan-Tubitak to combinate Turkish and Korean armour technology to develop more sophisticated one in future. At next step of Altay, There will be an indigenous reactive armours on it. I have an graphic about Armour technology roadmap of Turkey. I will post it here.

As I said another thred about Fire control systems of Altay; SSM claimed that Altay will call the last generation tank due to its last generation fire control systems. Aselsan has officialy started to develop Altay's fire control system (TAKS). Critical design phrase has been finished and prototype production phrase has been started.

About System, Marksman and commander have two independent fire control system. It provides less volume usage and decreased mission work to commanders. Lots of mission work will decreased an intelligent card level module. This electronical modules is able to control many works of Altay automatically in battlefield.

Many probability, priority, target selection, possible threats and another important subjects will be controlled that module card of Taks. It will control not only all enviromentally target-threat objects but also turret movements, engine, best move condition against targets-threats, active defence systems. This intelligent module will warn - lead the commanders about many subjects to fire-escape possible target-threat with mentioned above specifications so Altay will be able to fire a target blindly.

Aselsan will integrate to Altay with 2 intelligent software (module). First one will be operational, Second one will be spare against an electronic jammer threat. Authorities reported S&H magazine that These technologies and lots of secret systems will bring to Altay the last generation Tank appellation in World...

About Engine, Turkey is planning to produce ( participate) Korean 1500hp tank engine project. There are also being performed lots of workshops to develop indigenous Naval, Land vehicles-ships engine in Turkey. In future, It will be more clear to make comments about it.

According to SSM roadway, Altay will be more nationalized in future. Turkey has began this road with full technology transfer agreements with Korean but Nationalized work will be performed step by step ....

Here is the roadwawy of SSM about armour technology...

Zırh- Armour
ZMA- IFV
ZPT-APC
UÇAK- airplane
Helikopter- helicopter
Ana Muharebe Tanki- MBT Altay
Geleceği Muharebe ortami- Future Combat environment.

Regards...

i personally would love to see Pakistan enter in to partnership with turkey, Pakistan could benefit hugely and would improve upon already close relations.

Does India have any sub hunting corvettes?

After many years, Pakistan Navy is able to strategize.

Thanks to Musharraf and team for allocating funds and building a better relationship with Turkey.

Nawaz Sharif and B. Bhutto were only allocating funds to their personal accts.

Last edited:
I was very intrested in ur MILGEM class, I think this class was nice and good designed one. PLA-N don't have the similar ship. But so far I only got one picture showing that the first ship launching. Do you guys have more pictures can be shared?

And I still don't know the name and construction schedule of this class, could you tell me more about MILGEM. Thanks!:toast_sign:

Hello HSH,

There ar not many pictures of the Milgem released because the first boat is a prototype. The idea to build the Milgem started in 1998, in 2004 the official design of the Milgem was initiated and in 2007 the start of the construction began. Last year in September 2008 the Milgem was set to float, moved from a dry dock to a 'wet' dock where the engines of the Milgem where installed. Also the start of the construction of the 2nd Milgem was initiated in September 2008.

Currently they are working on the installation of the basic systems that completes the ship and seafaring trials will be started this year. After completion of the sailing trials the Milgem gets her weapons and sensor pack installed followed by more trials. If everything goes according scedule the Milgem will be taken in service in 2011.

The first Milgem will have about 65% indigenous Turkish systems and in time when more indigenous subsystem developments have finished this amount will go to 85%. (critical parts such as engines etc. will remain foreign COTS products)

Back
Top Bottom