What's new

MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian Navy aircraft carrier

Bond

Reaction score
A MiG-29KUB two-seat naval fighter jet made the first touch-and-go landings last week on Indian Navy aircraft carrier Vikramaditya, Russia's Sevmash shipyard said Monday.

The ship is currently undergoing sea trials in the Barents Sea off the north coast of Russia.

The jet, piloted by navy test-pilots Col Nikolai Diorditsa and Mikhail Belyaev, completed several approaches to the carrier and finally made a touch-and-go landing.

The Vikramaditya, formerly the Russian Navy's Admiral Gorshkov, is to be handed over to India following the trials after a much-delayed refit.

The ship was extensively modified to undertake STOBAR — short takeoff but assisted recovery — operations with MiG-29K naval fighter aircraft, as well as receiving new air defence, communications and navigations systems.

MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian Navy aircraft carrier - India - DNA

548993_10150993376668071_738510143_n.jpg

Should say MIG-29K is the best choice for Vikramaditya and its STOBAR configuration /

Yet another milestone passed !

I dont think Indians have the experience to land planes without using VTOL capability...

I guess Indian pilots might have to train in this..

@offtopic: the indian pilots will be Naval officers or Indian Airforce officers ? :)

I dont think Indians have the experience to land planes without using VTOL capability...

@offtopic: the indian pilots will be Naval officers or Indian Airforce officers ? :)
mhhhh we used non VTOL aircraft for decades on the first Vikrant.
Of course the pilots are all naval officers

Are you serious? IN pilots have been selected long back and have been trained and qualified for carrier flying in both US and Russia. In fact a few IN officers are now even certified carrier flight instructors from USN! With the simulators and setting up of SBTF the IN should have no trouble in this regard.

Our naval officers are undergoing training with Mig29Ks .

Back
Top Bottom