What's new

MiG-27 crashes in West Bengal, pilot killed

lilaspr

Reaction score
A MiG-27 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed in West Bengal on Tuesday, Defence Ministry officials said. The pilot was killed in the accident.

The fighter plane took off from the Hashimara air force base. The pilot, Wing Commander Aswal, was killed in the crash.

The IAF lost two of its Russian-made MiG-27s in crashes last year.

In May 2009, a MiG-27 crashed at Jodhpur, and in October another MiG-27 crashed near New Jalpaiguri in West Bengal. In both cases, the pilots ejected safely.

A MiG-27 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed in West Bengal on Tuesday, Defence Ministry officials said. The pilot was killed in the accident.

The fighter plane took off from the Hashimara air force base. The pilot, Wing Commander Aswal, was killed in the crash.

The IAF lost two of its Russian-made MiG-27s in crashes last year.

In May 2009, a MiG-27 crashed at Jodhpur, and in October another MiG-27 crashed near New Jalpaiguri in West Bengal. In both cases, the pilots ejected safely.

Few days back "A Cobra helicopter gunship of Pakistani army crashed, killing its two-member crew".

Now this.

Govt. should fast tracked the fighter aircraft tender and induction.

Lol Now I see the reason why India needs 126 of them, 120 is the actual need and 6 will crash, IAF is sure about that.

Sorry for the Pilot. God bless his family may his soul rest in peace.

Few days back "A Cobra helicopter gunship of Pakistani army crashed, killing its two-member crew".

Now this.

Govt. should fast tracked the fighter aircraft tender and induction.

I guess you are taking this with a pinch of salt.
How do you associate the two crashes with each other. ???:disagree:

RIP to the pilot its well known that human life is of utmost importance i think hate does not come between lives lost

about InAF crashes its high time they pay attention to maintenance and lessen the flying hours this can be done by better trainers need to fast tract trainers and get more flying hours on those

let me add MIG27 is one of the better fighters in th InAF records although its very very tough to get spares for it i think that was the reason they closed down mig23 last year

Lol Now I see the reason why India needs 126 of them, 120 is the actual need and 6 will crash, IAF is sure about that.

Sorry for the Pilot. God bless his family may his soul rest in peace.

If india is serious about saving 120s of those for the war scenarios, it better order 240 or should never fly them after inducting until it is the war time.

India is adding variety of planes to its ascot. I wonder how will India able to service 6 different kinds of planes when it is struggling to maintain half of that number.

"The MiG-27 crashed today and a pilot was killed in the mishap," an IAF officer said here.

The aircraft had taken off from Hashimara air base where a fighter squadron is based and was doing a sortie to Bagdogra when the mishap happened.

Wing commander Oswald who was flying the aircraft was killed in the aircrash, the officer said.

The aircraft had taken off from Hashimara and within a few minutes he reported fire in the engines before it crashed within the airbase around 2.15pm.

The Eastern Air Command headquarters in Shillong has ordered a probe into the incident.

Last year, there were 11 air crashes including a couple of MiG 27s, denting the IAF's air safety record.

IAF MiG-27 fighter jet crashes in Bengal, pilot killed - dnaindia.com

Why don't Indian Pilots eject.

I mean isn't the ejection seat suppose to save pilot's life.

Back
Top Bottom