What's new

Midrise Architecture in Dhaka Bangladesh

Aachha thik hai - let me solve this issue once and for all.

Dhaka architecture has its unique quality in that everything is locally designed by very talented, internationally renowned, award-winning architects. I personally like Dhaka Architecture better only for the simple reason that I've personally known many of the teachers and students personally and am aware about the quality of their artistry and their work. I am not aware of any commercial building in the subcontinent that has Bengali, Hindi or Urdu poetry inscribed all over it's sides. But Dhaka has one. Dhaka's architecture is an extension and a delicate reflection of its cultural aura and scene as well as practical considerations given its tropical location and seasons. Ten years ago Dhaka as a modern architectural showcase was probably ahead of Kolkata - but now, I'm not so sure.

On the other hand - Kolkata has had lots of real estate investments very recently made by (among others) larger Indian commercial groups like DLF. So its face is recently more modern in some cases. The town-planning and investments have been done professionally (especially in Rajarhat and Salt Lake Sector 5 near the airport) and the infrastructure is quite nice. This is a result of IT BPO and call-center business moving into town because of higher salaries in the rest of India. As a result the IT parks have seen huge investments by Indian companies in new buildings and road infrastructure. Lots of work by the renowned Charles Correa and Hafeez Contractor among others.

However Dhaka's architecture is well ahead in modernity even compared to the rest of the subcontinent. There is no reason why Dhaka should not boast of its modernity - even as some uninformed people in the subcontinent may see Dhaka as a 'provincial' place. Dhaka's movement of modernity in architecture goes back to the mid-1800's and has a record of urbanity no less glorious than Kolkata.

This being said - you cannot feel the architectural vibe of either city if you are not actually in town and in person to see the buildings. Just a few images on the internet does not give a proper contextual feel. And Kolkata maybe far ahead today - but Dhaka is just getting started building its new planned suburbs and exurbia, with both residential and commercial areas. New areas like Purbachal, Nikunjo etc. are just coming up and this is only a start. I hope the new neighborhoods concentrate on what is clearly lacking at this time - civic facilities, open air breathing space, green areas, trailways and bike-ways. Scores of complete planned towns like Rajarhat have been in planning for the last couple of years. I will divulge details as I find them.

Also - @extra terrestrial is right - there is a growing number of 40 story buildings in Dhaka - although I suspect the piling costs are in the crores - keeping a check on that activity. Dhaka's commercial building activity however isn't waning anytime soon though.

And nobody is saying we cannot visit Kolkata and enjoy the scenery while we take in shopping and dining pleasures :-). The more nice neighborhoods - the merrier it is.

Thanks for the detailed post!! :) Have you visited Kolkata?? Many Bangladeshis come here for shopping, business or tours. Btw, though off-topic but can you tell me if Bangladesh has PIN code (Postal) system?

Using Bengali poetry & fonts on structures is a trend here also, as @Bombaywalla mentioned about the ceiling of new airport terminal at Kolkata, I can remember "Nazrul Tirtha" also has Bengali texts on it, check the black square structure below:

nazrul tirtha kolkata - Google Search

new terminal of kolkata airport - Google Search

Bhai mo-ney hoi tomar energy channelize kora dorkar. Internet -e maramari koira faida ki ? Ekta girlfriend jogar koro - energy balance hoia jabey.:tongue:

Ha ha, bhalo buddhi diyaso, ami to bibahito, ebar ekta girlfriend hoile besh jompesh ekkhan maramari lage!! :P

Btw, check this thread of @Bombaywalla , nice photos, the forum is boring though, nobody seems to fight there!! :D

Bombay - Srinagar (Jammu & Kashmir) - Bombay - 240378

Last edited:
Would you happen to know if the new Bangladesh Chancery in Islamabad finally got built?

image_071.jpg
I will have to look/search for it.....ill let you know in coming days.....

You're right, forgot about that one. Dhaka's example however is embedded in exterior concrete panels (and etched in glass) and goes up all the way to fourteen floors or so. I'm talking about 'Nina Kabbo' of Nina Holdings Group of course. Is there Urdu poetry inscribed architecture in Pakistan? @Marshmallow Sahab might know.

IMG_0044_For_Printing.jpg
DSC_2923.JPG

DSC_2935.JPG
Not as in the exterior of any building like this one as far as i know :(..although Urdu Poetry is quite popular and rich and covers almost all aspects of life so would be great to use them in exterior of different sorta buildings that can be constructed at different sorta locations here ...You people are doing some great work in this field.Im sure some foreign architects are also associated with these projects along with the local ones?

Really excellent thread - please keep up the good work. :enjoy:

Pictures of any new developments in road and transport infrastructure would also be most welcome.

@qamar1990 Alcohol is banned in BD except for non-Muslims at specified places.

Thanks for the detailed post!! :) Have you visited Kolkata?? Many Bangladeshis come here for shopping, business or tours. Btw, though off-topic but can you tell me if Bangladesh has PIN code (Postal) system?

Been to Kolkata many times - especially after her majesty decided to hook up with me. Not a fan of the shopping so much (she is) but I like hanging out in the Oxford book store in Park street and also Boi-Para at College Street.

List of Bangladesh four digit postal codes here -
List of postal codes in Bangladesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Using Bengali poetry & fonts on structures is a trend here also, as @Bombaywalla mentioned about the ceiling of new airport terminal at Kolkata, I can remember "Nazrul Tirtha" also has Bengali texts on it, check the black square structure below:

nazrul tirtha kolkata - Google Search

new terminal of kolkata airport - Google Search

Ha ha, bhalo buddhi diyaso, ami to bibahito, ebar ekta girlfriend hoile besh jompesh ekkhan maramari lage!! :P

I think you will be the subject of Missile hits from both sides in that one (flying kitchen items). :lol:

Btw, check this thread of @Bombaywalla , nice photos, the forum is boring though, nobody seems to fight there!! :D

Bombay - Srinagar (Jammu & Kashmir) - Bombay - 240378

Not as in the exterior of any building like this one as far as i know :(..although Urdu Poetry is quite popular and rich and covers almost all aspects of life so would be great to use them in exterior of different sorta buildings that can be constructed at different sorta locations here ...You people are doing some great work in this field.Im sure some foreign architects are also associated with these projects along with the local ones?

Thanks for the complement - all local work is 100% local. I personally know some of these architects and can vouch for this.

Last edited:
Jamuna Future Park, commonly abbreviated as JFP, is a shopping mall located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The mall is the largest of its type in South Asia. Still... under construction.

^^ a lot of the images in the second video are from the high-end Emporio mall in Delhi, a few from the Dubai Mall, and there's one from north America too.

^^ a lot of the images in the second video are from the high-end Emporio mall in Delhi, a few from the Dubai Mall, and there's one from north America too.

Well I had no clue. Obviously these people swindled everyone including me. I will post some good pics in a bit. People are just too enthusiastic.:rolleyes:

What I hear is that only the topmost floor is open nowadays.

Roller coaster ride installed in front of Jamuna Future Park.

Futurepark2.jpg

Red Chicken - notice the 'egg related' modern decor.

3234578.jpg

3234580.jpg

3234577.jpg
3234575.jpg

3234576.jpg

3234574.jpg

Bowling lanes
IMG_5450_zps9c308298.jpg

Coffee place
IMG_5448_zpse7194d5e.jpg

IMG_5440_zpsc417e580.jpg

Pool/snooker