What's new

Maruti Gypsy gets repeat order from Army, 4,100

SOURCE: EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE

Gypsy was a very relaible vehical. But I'm bit disappointed as I was expecting IA to go for somthing likw M&M Axe.

big_809_119313351310.jpg

big_809_11931335136.jpg

th

th

Nope!! Can you believe that those antique Jongas were made by hand at Jabalpur? :lol: There was no automation. It sucked! We got one specially made for the Himalayan Car Rally in 1985 in which I took part. Took us a couple of weeks to modify it, but it was pretty solid with an imported Nissan engine! We lost out on the last leg as we turned turtle, landed in a ditch and wasted four hours to get the bloody thing on road with the help of a recovery vehicle!! Jeeez!

But those were the days! :-)
No you are old. :coffee:

Nope!! Can you believe that those antique Jongas were made by hand at Jabalpur? :lol: There was no automation. It sucked! We got one specially made for the Himalayan Car Rally in 1985 in which I took part. Took us a couple of weeks to modify it, but it was pretty solid with an imported Nissan engine! We lost out on the last leg as we turned turtle, landed in a ditch and wasted four hours to get the bloody thing on road with the help of a recovery vehicle!! Jeeez!

But those were the days! :-)
I do remember spotting one in jabalpur few years back and so I was confused.I thought those were supposed to be replaced by mahindra vehicles.
I knew Jongas had Nissan engines infact afaik its inspired by Nissan patrol. I love nissan patrol, its new model looks better than the landcruiser.
I loved Jongas too (though it could have had better shockabsorbers :) ) and Jongas were very successful on the mountainous terrain.I remember one of our bachelor uncles (a capt then) driving a jypsy uphill,ended up with a heated engine while a jonga had no issues.
Ironically IA has still not been able to find out its true substitute so far, the diesel Mahindras have not yet proven themselves and Gypsy is too light an off road vehicles to suit the military requirement.
The article says new improved version of gypsy would 've the following features
A source said that the cars have convoy lights, which emits a green ray that the soldiers follow at the time of black-out in a war situation. Among other things, the cars are also provided with hooks in the rear for towing military equipment such as large guns and inside for mounting weapons
Really?
what say @OrionHunter? you think it can tow large guns??
I think other than commuting it is good for nothing.
How did IA make such a blunder?

Tweaking of suspension , steering and a better fuel efficient engine would do a lot of good.

Dude my car has more power than gypsy ..:lol:

It's a military vehicle we are talking about here .. :lol:

Toyota LCs,Toyota vigos,hilux,Defenders and some mitsu L series ... For special missions (arnoured...muhafiz,LAVs etc).. And now hopefully this:

View attachment 162232
How much safe it is against IED and Mines and I hope we equip our Army and Rangers and Police with thousands of these and similar safe vehicles

Why did you use this example for TATA's shortcomings?

This is actually a VRDE-DRDO/TATA project.

mbpv-jpg.14982

VRDE_Develops_R15127.jpg

DdT8pbu.jpg

VRDE+ATVs.jpg

small armored capsules

Why are they ordering Gypsies? Aren't they antiquated?

I hope there is no corruption and kickbacks involved.

Also funny is a month after, TATA show cased Kestral and LAMV.

Tata-at-DEFEXPO-India-2014-28.jpg

Tata-Kestrel-rear-three-quarter-left-live.jpg

Image-3-LAMV-Light-Armoured-Mobility-Vehicle.jpg

Tata-LAMV-Light-Armoured-Mobility-Vehicle-pic-1.jpg

Kestral will have like 16 variants, and it was developed and show cased A HEAD of schedule.

They also announced they're going to invest billions into the company recently, one of the special focus being the defense sector.

Tata Group to invest $35 billion in three years - The Hindu

Mr. Mistry said the group would be creating a special focus on four new clusters — Defence & Aerospace, Retail, Infrastructure and Finance.

TATA's not going anyway, it's portfolio keeps getting stronger each year. Eventually, they'll pitch to develop whole tanks.

Last edited:
How much safe it is against IED and Mines and I hope we equip our Army and Rangers and Police with thousands of these and similar safe vehicles

I did share he info .. didn't it? It can withstand a blast of 10 kg explosive material..

@Abingdonboy

You once showed off a Mahindra LSV from a screen shot, you can share that pic?

edit

95886478.jpg

found it, looks heavy compared to gypsy
This is going to be heavier and more powerful than the Gypsy. My understanding is this latest batch of Gypsys is for no-operational/utility roles only. The Scorpio in the pic is a light strike vehicle meant for rec., SFs and such so is not comparable to the latest Gypsy purchase. It looks great and sincerely hope it sees actual service with the Indian Mil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom