What's new

Tatas to bag Rs 1k cr Army contract to supply heavy duty trucks, Tatra trucks’ monopoly to end

Finally we'll not see anymore of those left hand drive vehicles on RD parades ....that was quite a tradition since 1980's.
And OP please correct the digits...its Rs7800CRORES.

So they should change the vehicles because you can't drive left-handed vehicles - How unfortunate ! :(

If women aren't emotionally blackmailing their brothers, fathers or husbands to drive them some place even when we're dead tired then they, if by some miracle can learn to drive, are incessantly complaining about something else ! :undecided:

I wish God created an 'Off' switch on women so that we men could have some peace & quiet ever once in a while ! :agree:

No, that's not what I quoted. Only the point about their progress, that's it.

Agreed.
So we agree that TATA has issues with its vehicles....we agree that it might progress in the future and that India needs to have more of such indigenous products....then why are we arguing????

Agreed.
So we agree that TATA has issues with its vehicles....we agree that it might progress in the future and that India needs to have more of such indigenous products....then why are we arguing????

Again, this is what I'm quoting from you -

just that they havent shown any progress in last few years.

And you use a shitty capsule to back that up, why not the APCs, SPH, etc, etc.

I never argued, they were perfect. Or that they're going to be better than a company that's been doing the same thing for decades. But that TATA is showing plenty of progress in the last 2 years alone.

And you use a shitty capsule to back that up, why not the APCs, SPH, etc, etc.
I guess you've some serious comprehension problem....I talked of their past and their present but I was positive about their future and their vehicles presence in Indian army

I guess you've some serious comprehension problem....I talked of their past and their present but I was positive about their future.

Nahii not much of a problem....just that they havent shown any progress in last few years.
They had showcased tata micro bullet proof vehicle 2 years back..which looked like a nano converted into MBPV :hitwall:

Nope, your claim of "havent shown any progress in the last few years" is utterly wrong.

In the defence sector, look what they have done, compared to lets say OFB. More than enough progress.

Nope, your claim of "havent shown any progress in the last few years" is utterly wrong.

In the defence sector, look what they have done, compared to lets say OFB. More than enough progress.
You know it so well that I was talking of TATA the company...and the lows that they're facing now. They don't invest much in R&D is a known fact.

You know it so well that I was talking of TATA the company...and the lows that they're facing now. They don't invest much in R&D is a known fact.

I dont know of the loses they're facing, only the products they're showing recently. And in the past years, they have shown they can integrate many weapons platforms onto their vehicles, MRAPs, APCs, etc, etc, etc.

Hell, they're going to Israel, Russia, etc. to integrate their weapons unto their platforms.

They may not be producing MBTs, and frigates, obviously, but their progress lately have been sufficient, if not more.

If you want to see some one not invest much into R&D, look no more --

dsc02667p.jpg

I dont know of the loses they're facing, only the products they're showing recently. And in the past years, they have shown they can integrate many weapons platforms onto their vehicles, MRAPs, APCs, etc, etc, etc.

Hell, they're going to Israel, Russia, etc. to integrate their weapons unto their platforms.

They may not be producing MBTs, and frigates, obviously, but their progress lately have been sufficient, if not more.

If you want to see some one not invest much into R&D, look no more --

dsc02667p.jpg

kunal biswas???
so I guess you picked up that pic from defence -forum -India........:lol:
never mind....

let me give you my view on some of tata's defence vehicles...
The MBPV that I had posted in this thread has its shortcomings....

mbpv.jpg

First and foremost its an utter lie to call it mine proof.They can tell you how much RDX and TNT it can with stand.Those use the same tyres,gear boxes and axles that trucks use..and we know what happens to those when 9kgs of gelatin are used.In short these are called mine proof to boost the morale of the force.Fine I am not completely against it.
Then it cant run cross country but at top speed of 20km/h damn even a tortoise sounds faster.
Next a maximum payload capacity of 200kg in short it can carry two personnel with their weapons.While it is projected as one of the most practical yet effective anti-terrorist vehicles..let me tell you it needs "roads" to travel...so it is useless in forests and mountainous terrains.

Another one...
Tata LSV inspired by windy 505.....now this one not just looks bulky but also doesn't look the promised "all terrain"...And you will give up the moment you get inside it.....nothing in comparison to the original windy505.

LSV.jpg

Windy505.jpg

here's another one...... Welcome to the Tata Mine Protected Vehicle (MPV) and don’t let anyone tell you anything else....this is way safer than a Volvo and it seats way more people too.:tup:
mpv.jpg

It turbocharged water-cooled 6.7-litre Cummins diesel that produces a modest 94.3 kgm of torque and a proper six-speed gearbox lifted from a Tatra, you can feel each one of the 14 tonnes as you go along....but then Indian army is used to that kinda quality.Poor fellas ...
But hell if the MPV takes a direct blast underneath it the driveshaft will be blown to smithereens .....still those pricey run flat Pirelli Pista tyres could get you home.Sounds decent...but clearly not the best.:(

Tata 5252c..... a12x12 all-wheel drive
When you fire it up a cloud of black smoke accompanied by a turbo whistle loud enough for a factory to think that their shift is over is produced. And holy lord once you get used to the fact that you have half of the Tata factory attached i hope it is the promised all terrain (once again).

5252c.jpg

Still I am hopeful that our defence vehicles provided by the Indian pvt sector would fare better and would improve once it starts to work with DRDO.

kunal biswas???
so I guess you picked up that pic from defence -forum -India........:lol:
never mind....

The guy posts defence expo pics there and Militaryphotos. His own personal pics.

That is OFBs R&D they've shown in Defence Expo 2012. After producing military vehicles like the BMP for many, many, years they show their junk at defence expo.

dsc02666ha.jpg

Tata LSV inspired by windy 505.....now this one not just looks bulky but also doesn't look the promised "all terrain"...And you will give up the moment you get inside it.....nothing in comparison to the original windy505.

I dont know how it did in trials, but you can see it's performance somewhat in this video here.

But hell if the MPV takes a direct blast underneath it the driveshaft will be blown to smithereens .....still those pricey run flat Pirelli Pista tyres could get you home.Sounds decent...but clearly not the best.:(

None of TATA's products are clearly the best, obviously. Especially if you're going to compare it to European examples. None of the Indian products Indian defence companies produce is best, period.

Even that APC platform they're going to show will not compare to German or other European models, but im sure they'll continue to improve on the design.

Last edited:
The guy posts defence expo pics there and Militaryphotos. His own personal pics.

That is OFBs R&D they've shown in Defence Expo 2012. After producing military vehicles like the BMP for many, many, years they show their junk at defence expo.

dsc02666ha.jpg

I dont know how it did in trials, but you can see it's performance somewhat in this video here.

None of TATA's products are clearly the best, obviously. Especially if you're going to compare it to European examples. None of the Indian products Indian defence companies produce is best, period.

Even that APC platform they're going to show will not compare to German or other European models, but im sure they'll continue to improve on the design.

This is what I said in post#33 too.:hitwall:
Why did we argue???

Thanks for the video....but you know the issue ......the LSV is not aerodynamic in its shape...a little too long for comfort.With just 2 men in it ,the vehicle had issues making a sharp turn on sand...even the video shows up defects.
They even are going to introduce the sumo and tata safari models to the armed forces.
But again I maintain that DRDO might help TATA overcome some of its defects when they make completely customized vehicles for army.

This is what I said in post#33 too.:hitwall:
Why did we argue???

Thanks for the video....but you know the issue ......the LSV is not aerodynamic in its shape...a little too long for comfort.With just 2 men in it ,the vehicle had issues making a sharp turn on sand...even the video shows up defects.
They even are going to introduce the sumo and tata safari models to the armed forces.
But again I maintain that DRDO might help TATA overcome some of its defects when they make completely customized vehicles for army.

Because, I was never arguing about the point of them improving in the future. But that in the last few years, they're progress wasn't anything but lackluster. Their portfolio has only improved, just in the last few years.

Why would TATA go for DRDO's help for vehicle platforms like LSVs? MBTs, etc maybe. Have they even made any HUMVEE type vehicles? Forget them, and rope in S. African, Israeli, etc companies.

Because, I was never arguing about the point of them improving in the future. But that in the last few years, they're progress wasn't anything but lackluster. Their portfolio has only improved, just in the last few years.

In the commercial market they've made no progress at all.All their models have reached a stagnancy in the market...who buys Indica these days??Scorpio if fighting with Innova....Sumo is no where in the league.
Except for Range Rovers will you be able to quote the "improvement in their portfolio"???
Tats has yet to flex its pecs in defence vehicles.IMO.

Rovers will you be able to quote the "improvement in their portfolio"???

I've posted examples already. They're showing they can integrate various platforms unto their trucks, offering to be the lead integrator of whole APCs, providing products for future soldiers programs, etc. This is all in a couple of years.

Their portfolio IS growing. And they dont have a free pass to everything like OFB had for decades. And they're still putting in their own money.

This most be a joke, right?

Even with the fact TATA is in a sector dominated by public sector companies like OFB for GOOOOOD knows how long, they have been making good moves in the past years.

Example

P1050040.JPG

1024-5.jpg

Tata_Mobility_Vehicle.jpg

5553715c-10fa-409b-9590-8c0bfe2ef765.jpg

Tor-M2KM_short-range_surface-to-air_defense_missile_system_on_Tata_8x8_truck_chassis_Russia_defense_industry_640_001.jpg

Integrating god knows how many armaments to their platforms. Even roping in blacklisted companies like Denel for their own use in the artillery sector. Which is in trials right now.

Aiming to be manufactures of APCs,

jn3vgvg.jpg

Putting efforts in future soldier programs.

dsc0019evz.jpg

I0hBXw2.jpg

nwXFhlx.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom