What's new

Mamata hopes for stronger ties with Bangladesh

I don’t think that’s the point of this thread - you may start a different thread if you want to have a discussion on economy. Lets not derail the topic.
Actually, the economy is the topic and the base of the discussion. What you are talking about is the socio-political affairs of the state of WB. How is that connected to Bangladesh? So, advise yourself to stick to the topic which is actually more about economics.

As far as I understand, BD cannot create new neighbors arbitrarily to choose better friends among them. Or, can it really do so? If not, it is better not to deliberately create more animosity with our current neighbors.

Is there any real issue/reason to be an enemy of WB?

My point exactly. This is called "having diplomacy and tact", rather than what in Bengali is called "Khorog-hosto" or openly hostile all the time and shutting down avenues of trade.

Yes sometimes our interests and diplomatic directives will not coincide. And we must draw a line in the sand. But trade relations (to our benefit) needs to continue.

Like @Atlas bhai said, we must resist cultural aggressions from WB which they have foisted on us (witness Chetona Gong) for over fifty years.

But they are now economically weak and largely dependent on our economy in Bangladesh - which is the point of Mamata wishing better relations (i.e. the subject of this thread).

However if we can apply leverage, the cultural influence should go the other way. And we have plenty of leverage any way you look at it. WB Hindutvas must not be allowed to succeed in WB and we should actively (overtly or covertly) help our Muslim brothers (and educated liberal Hindu folks) in WB to resist that state falling into the hands of the BJP (which is in our interest). The reason is simple, trade and business for a market of tens of crores of people.

Same process should continue in Tripura and Assam, though the latter is a lost cause of sorts, being led by diehard provincial minded Hindutva people. But part of it is our fault, because we have not actively engaged with these bordering states while Hindutvas have. Active engagement could have prevented some of these policies they undertook.

Assam at the time of partition had well over 30% Muslim population (just like WB) however nowadays thanks to BJP influence they are trying all kinds of nasty ethnic cleansing exercises, which may become issues for us, especially when our economy is doing better than these bordering areas and we have a refugee problem.

I am not naïvely asking that WB, Tripura or Assamese/Meghaloy folks be given no-visa access, but diplomatic avenues should be open and patronization from our side should be ongoing for trade.

Our companies are doing good business in WB, Assam, Tripura (Pran Foods, Rahimafrooz, others) and Pran Foods even have packaging plants in these places. More Bangladeshi manufactured products should go to these areas, while we can utilize their raw materials (forest/agri produce/clinker) to add value within our borders. This makes supreme economic sense.

This arrangement is completely in contrast with what the Indian center wants, which is open up Bangladesh with transit, so Indian industrialists can control the trade in WB and these seven sisters states. That is not what should be in Bangladesh' interest. never has been and never will.

While I realize @mb444 bhai's cautionary approach, you cannot severe lines of communications even with sworn enemies.

When "Faida Uthana" game is on, if you are not actively in a position of lifting Faida somewhere (like exacting mutual economic trade and goals in these states to our benefit) someone else (Indian Baniyas) will do their Faida lifting with you (meaning us in Bangladesh). I'd rather not be in a position for us to be exploited in Bangladesh by Indian Banyas.

No one expects people of these bordering states to forego their religious/political interests but trade detente can continue, and ACTIVELY, PROVIDED it is for our interest.

Last edited:
My point exactly. This is called "having diplomacy and tact", rather than what in Bengali is called "Khorog-hosto" or openly hostile all the time and shutting down avenues of trade.

Yes sometimes our interests and diplomatic directives will not coincide. And we must draw a line in the sand. But trade relations (to our benefit) needs to continue.

Like @Atlas bhai said, we must resist cultural aggressions from WB which they have foisted on us (witness Chetona Gong) for over fifty years.

But they are now economically weak and largely dependent on our economy in Bangladesh (which is the point of Mamata wishing better relations (i.e. the subject of this thread).

However if we can apply leverage, the cultural influence should go the other way. And we have plenty of leverage any way you look at it. WB Hindutvas must not be allowed to succeed in WB and we should actively (overtly or covertly) help our Muslim brothers (and educated liberal Hindu folks) in WB to resist that state falling into the hands of the BJP (which is in our interest). The reason is simple, trade and business for a market of tens of crores of people.

Same process should continue in Tripura and Assam, though the latter is a lost cause of sorts, being led by diehard provincial minded Hindutva people. But part of it is our fault, because we have not actively engaged with these bordering states while Hindutvas have. Active engagement could have prevented some of these policies they undertook.

Assam at the time of partition had well over 30% Muslim population (just like WB) however nowadays thanks to BJP influence they are trying all kinds of nasty ethnic cleansing exercises, which may become issues for us, especially when our economy is doing better than these bordering areas and we have a refugee problem.

I am not naively asking that WB, Tripura or Assamese/Meghaloy folks be given no-visa access, but diplomatic avenues should be open and patronization from our side should be ongoing for trade.

Our companies are doing good business in WB, Assam, Tripura (Pran Foods, Rahimafrooz, others) and Pran Foods even have packaging plants in these places. More Bangladeshi manufactured products should go to these areas, while we can utilize their raw materials (forest/agri produce/clinker) to add value within our borders. This makes supreme economic sense.

This arrangement is completely in contrast with what the Indian center wants, which is open up Bangladesh with transit, so Indian industrialists can control the trade in WB and these seven sisters states. That is not what should be in Bangladesh' interest. never has been and never will.

While I realize @mb444 bhai's cautionary approach, you cannot severe lines of communications even with sworn enemies.

When "Faida Uthana" game is on, if you are not actively in a position of lifting Faida somewhere (like exacting mutual economic trade and goals in these states to our benefit) someone else (Indian Baniyas) will do their Faida lifting with you (meaning us in Bangladesh). I'd rather not be in a position for us to be exploited in Bangladesh by Indian Banyas.

No one expects people of these bordering states to forego their religious/political interests but trade detente can continue, and ACTIVELY, PROVIDED it is for our interest.

I am not advocating a scenario of zero trade nor am I advocating openly hostile positioning. But what i would say is for us to be forever vigilant of WB and its evil intentions towards us.

Do not open our borders or economy to them. Trade only where it is beneficial for us and do not create a scenario where we hand leverage to them. I would personally reduce general people to people contact but would actively suggest cultivating stategic assets in WB political, security and business arenas.

It is all about mainintaining BDs interest and her interest alone. I do not even have a moment for apar opar nonsense.

Pure duplicitous nonsense...
Screenshot_20210509-211449_WhatsApp.jpg

I am not advocating a scenario of zero trade nor am I advocating openly hostile positioning. But what i would say is for us to be forever vigilant of WB and its evil intentions towards us.

Do not open our borders or economy to them. Trade only where it is beneficial for us and do not create a scenario where we hand leverage to them. I would personally reduce general people to people contact but would actively suggest cultivating stategic assets in WB political, security and business arenas.

It is all about mainintaining BDs interest and her interest alone. I do not even have a moment for apar opar nonsense.

Why not use BD's far larger economy to in effect make W Bengal a proto-satellite economy of BD over time?

Indian economy will probably never flourish for multiple reasons, one of which is their embrace of Hinduvta nationalism.

Make them so dependent on tourists from BD and exporting to the much larger BD economy that BD itself can make them more amenable to it's interest.

No i dont. Where in the world have you seen any country in the world being able to control a major river system. Does BD have enough land to create reservoirs for water in country?
The river Padma is more than 5 km wide. If 200 km is kept as the length of a reservoir with a total depth of 15 m (including the height of dykes to be built), what becomes the volume of that reservoir? Do your own calculations. I am quite weak in math.

The same goes for Teesta. Build another barrage near its juncture with Jamuna and do your math. The reservoir length becomes 90 km.

Better not to blame others for our own ineptitude. Perhaps you know the meaning of the Rainfall Catchment Area of a river system. This area falls 95% in India/Nepal. It is basically an Indian river. Our contribution is less than 5%.

Last edited:
The river Padma is more than 5 km wide. If 200 km is kept as the length of a reservoir with a total depth of 15 m (including the height of dykes to be built), what becomes the volume of that reservoir? Do your own calculations. I am quite weak in math.

The same goes for Teesta. Build another barrage near its juncture with Jamuna and do your math. The reservoir length becomes 90 km.

Better not to blame others for our own ineptitude. Perhaps you know the meaning of the Rainfall Catchment Area of a river system. This area falls 95% in India. It is basically an Indian river. Our contribution is less than 5%.

Think for a moment the cost of a 200km reservoir. Does BD have the landmass or money... does any country?

It has nothing to do with BD ineptitude. A river system can not be so easily managed... it requires all countries upper and lower riperian to act in unison. India has failed to do so.
Why not use BD's far larger economy to in effect make W Bengal a proto-satellite economy of BD over time?

Indian economy will probably never flourish for multiple reasons, one of which is their embrace of Hinduvta nationalism.

Make them so dependent on tourists from BD and exporting to the much larger BD economy that BD itself can make them more amenable to it's interest.

Its a double edged sword.... i am perfectly fine with what you say but with appropriate safeguards.

Think for a moment the cost of a 200km reservoir. Does BD have the landmass or money... does any country?

It has nothing to do with BD ineptitude. A river system can not be so easily managed... it requires all countries upper and lower riperian to act in unison. India has failed to do so.
BD has a lot of money to build some unnecessary prestigious projects but lacks the money to build reservoirs on the rivers that really help the country with agriculture. BD and its people like just to blame others and avoid doing anything substantive by themselves.

The underdeveloped river system causes floods and droughts in cycles and keeps the people in poverty.

A very sad attitude for any nation. It is a sign of shamelessness. Water is a precious thing to be thrown away at ease to the Sea and blame other countries for its shortage when the farmers need it.

WB with Mamata is a great buffer state for Bangladesh, as long as they are at loggerheads with the center.

Keeping Didi happy will pay dividends, send her more Hilsa fish and Jamdani Sarees and medical tourists. Maybe also get some Bengali IT Dadas to teach our kids programming skills in our IT parks.

I am hearing that Mamata will run for Indian PM next time around. :-)

She won't make any worse a PM than the current one. 8-)

Didi should not be kept happy. ওরে লাত্থির উপর রাখা দরকার। BJP wants to do the Teesta treaty, it's because of her it didn't happen.

And no thanks we don't need no dadas to teach us programming or IT. If our incompetent nincompoop leaders had any vision, IT skills could be rapidly achieved.

And Mamata being the PM is not going to be any better than the bhakt roadshitters. Hopefully Congress comes to power.

WB with Mamata is a great buffer state for Bangladesh, as long as they are at loggerheads with the center.

Keeping Didi happy will pay dividends, send her more Hilsa fish and Jamdani Sarees and medical tourists. Maybe also get some Bengali IT Dadas to teach our kids programming skills in our IT parks.

I am hearing that Mamata will run for Indian PM next time around. :-)

She won't make any worse a PM than the current one. 8-)
Mamata banergee becoming PM you say ? Rahul Ghandhi has better chance :woot:

At best Congress and TMC working together may get gain better seat share compared to last time. No one will be able to dislodge the BJP from Delhi in 2024. At best case their seat share decrease. But they will still have majority

Why do you think Modi G / BJP does not give a single solitary **** about the Covid crisis ? They knows when they need they can change the public opinion in their favor. Don't forget, the election season is not now. From 2023 is the time for BJP to worry about that as re- election will be in 2024 may.

Didi should be more worried about remaining CM for the next 3 years. These BJP fellows are very crafty... Bengal is very critical to achieve NRC.

The biggest worry is a defeated BJP. What if they pull a trump like move but in Delhi after election defeat ? India is not USA...

BJP has become a problem for everyone . In power dangerous, out of power even more dangerous.

BJP wants to do the Teesta treaty, it's because of her it didn't happen.
Bjp Mukhe bolleo teesta Treaty korto eta vabar khub beshi obokash ache bole mone hoy na amar.

Mamota o korbe na, tobe at least NRC ,CAA er karone amader border er risk ta kome gelo apatoto. By this time airforce ta developed hok , dhire susthe. Muscle power thakle ora kotha o kaje norom thakbe.

Last edited:
Bjp Mukhe bolleo teesta Treaty korto eta vabar khub beshi obokash ache bole mone hoy na amar.

Mamota o korbe na, tobe at least NRC ,CAA er karone amader border er risk ta kome gelo apatoto. By this time airforce ta developed hok , dhire susthe. Muscle power thakle ora kotha o kaje norom thakbe.
Teesta Treaty or no Treaty, BD's water shortage or floods will remain as it is now unless it builds a Teesta system whereby water does not flow to the BoB. WB is not really responsible for Teesta water issue.

It is the GoB that hiccups because it is unable to solve the issue that requires it to retain the rainy time water in that river. This is how the GoB keeps our people complacent, blaming WB.

Last edited:

Bjp said they wanted to at least.

Bjp said they wanted to at least.
Eta khali bjp na Indian sob govt e bolese. Central govt pani dite chaibe, state govt atke debe nana ojuhate.Er counter er jonno muscle power dorkar.

Soja angule konodin ghee uthe dekhechen?

Back
Top Bottom