What's new

Making a Secular Hero, Out of Communal Tipu Sultan

@humanfirst

It seems Tipu Sultan also introduced mass circumcision in Kerela as he could foresee it would help prevent HIV AIDs in 21 century.:azn::woot:

A struggle for decent dress

Christian Nadar women got the right to cover the breasts in 1859,Ezhava women in 1865 and Nair & Namboothri women much later.
As far Muslims in Malabar , I'm not going to believe it until you post a link as Malabar Muslims have a soft corner for Tipu.

whats with the vulgar custom of not allowing women to cover their breast in Kerela ??

Often time i hear some two cent missionaries , pseudo secular pointing this particular custum of kerela as harbinger for conversion to islam or christianity though it was confined to kerela only.

whats with the vulgar custom of not allowing women to cover their breast in Kerela ??

Often time i hear some two cent missionaries , pseudo secular pointing this particular custum of kerela as harbinger for conversion to islam or christianity though it was confined to kerela only.

It depends on how you look at it. In some civilizations breasts are not associated with sex and not something to be ogled at. I remember seeing a documentary in discovery channel where some Polynesian islanders still go topless for their traditional ceremonies eventhough they typically wear western dress for the rest of the year. In India I heard that the modern saree blouse was a Victorian invention so that natives can be 'properly dressed' before Britishers.

This from wiki...

In 1791, some Maratha horsemen under Raghunath Rao Patwardhan raided the temple and monastery of Sringeri Shankaracharya, killing and wounding many, and plundering the monastery of all its valuable possessions. The incumbent Shankaracharya petitioned Tipu Sultan for help. A bunch of about 30 letters written in Kannada, which were exchanged between Tipu Sultan's court and the Sringeri Shankaracharya were discovered in 1916 by the Director of Archaeology in Mysore. Tipu Sultan expressed his indignation and grief at the news of the raid, and wrote:

People who have sinned against such a holy place are sure to suffer the consequences of their misdeeds at no distant date in this Kali age in accordance with the verse: "Hasadbhih kriyate karma ruladbhir-anubhuyate" (People do [evil] deeds smilingly but suffer the consequences crying).[36]

He immediately ordered the Asaf of Bednur to supply the Swami with 200 rahatis (fanams) in cash and other gifts and articles. Tipu Sultan's interest in the Sringeri temple continued for many years, and he was still writing to the Swami in the 1790s CE.[37]

It should be noted, however, that these letters were written in the context of his precarious situation after the battles of the Third Mysore War, during which he suffered many setbacks, including having to deliver his two sons as captives (Captivity of children was a common custom even during the days of Akbar and his successors) to the British. It is possible that his letters to the Shankaracharya were therefore a result of his desire to gain support of his Hindu subjects.

In light of this and other events, B.A. Saletare has described Tipu Sultan as a defender of the Hindu dharma, who also patronized other temples including one at Melkote, for which he issued a Kannada decree that the Shrivaishnava invocatory verses there should be recited in the traditional form. The temple at Melkote still has gold and silver vessels with inscriptions indicating that they were presented by the Sultan. Tipu Sultan also presented four silver cups to the Lakshmikanta Temple at Kalale.[38] Tipu Sultan does seem to have repossessed unauthorised grants of land made to Brahmins and temples, but those which had proper sanads were not. It was a normal practice for any ruler, Muslim or Hindu, on his accession or on the conquest of new territory.

There is such evidence as grant deeds, and correspondence between his court and temples, and his having donated jewellery and deeded land grants to several temples, which some claim he was compelled to do in order to make alliances with Hindu rulers. Between 1782 and 1799 Tipu Sultan issued 34 sanads (deeds) of endowment to temples in his domain, while also presenting many of them with gifts of silver and gold plate. The Srikanteswara Temple in Nanjangud still possesses a jewelled cup presented by the Sultan.[39]

To another temple, Nanjundeswara, in the same town of Nanjungud, he gave a greenish linga; to Ranganatha temple at Seringapatam he gifted seven silver cups and a silver camphor burner. This temple was hardly a stone's throw from his palace from where he would listen with equal respect to the ringing of temple bells and the muezzin's call from the mosque.[40]

^^^ Its Romila Thapar wikipidia.

Would you mind if I call this thread a rss half pant cadres propaganda?

In one end you will accuse people of half telling the truth, and at the same breath, when countered with facts and figures will crawl back to your usual hinduvta self.
Hypocrisy much?

Well, Hinduism will not take anyone back who's been converted to Islam.

Not true at all. Speaking from the philosophical viewpoint of Hinduism. There is no official way of converting into nor converting out of Hinduism or Sanatana Dharma. Hence the "Dharma" part, literally meaning "an individuals' duty"

You sure about that fool......in your part of the world you have folks who vote for illerate dumbassess. Wake up kid

Have you not been taught manners in childhood, or does it come naturally for you hinduvtas?

It was considered "vulgar" according to the standards of morality and etiquette prevalent during those times ( Victorian England) . The differences in dress , conduct etc . which the British brought over in their attempt to "refine" the "heathen natives " of India and to mold them into "brown gentlemen" in the image of Britishers is what some see as a civilizing influence , while others condemned in those times and condemn even now as servile worship of British customs .

And the missionaries have been cast in the same mold . They mention these practices as proof of Hinduism's inferiority in their conversion sermons.

Etiquette , ideas about sex, liberalism was quite wildspread in India before the advent of the British and their "Victorian prudery " .

Not true at all. Speaking from the philosophical viewpoint of Hinduism. There is no official way of converting into nor converting out of Hinduism or Sanatana Dharma. Hence the "Dharma" part, literally meaning "an individuals' duty"

Its true about "Santana Dharma " and Hindu Philosophy not recognizing conversion out of it ...but according to history , in medieval times any Hindu with close association with Muslims was ostracized by Hindu society at large. There has been scores of well documented examples.

Speaking from philosophical point of view, caste system should not be hereditary, but that is not the case in reality, is it?

It depends on how you look at it. In some civilizations breasts are not associated with sex and not something to be ogled at. I remember seeing a documentary in discovery channel where some Polynesian islanders still go topless for their traditional ceremonies eventhough they typically wear western dress for the rest of the year. In India I heard that the modern saree blouse was a Victorian invention so that natives can be 'properly dressed' before Britishers.

Yes, harpoon i'm perfectly understand of historical fact that indian women ,more so men wore scantly clothes which were suitable to our humid conditions.And also you said civilizational outlook toward female sexuality .

Why i raised the particular issue of Kerala women because it was due to , as i believe some royal decree of kings in medieval Kerala states that forced women specially those belonging to lower caste to keep their breast bare which i find vulgar and demeaning.

Blouse, petticoat etc were brought in India by Parsis, not the British. In Bengal's context, it was made popular by Tagore family in general, Jnanadanandini Devi in particular.

Its doesn't take much to get our on board self appointed liberals to go real self lowlife rowdy once you present alternate view point thats doesn't fit into their own half baked pseudo secular rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom