What's new

'Made in India' trains to chug in Pakistan, Bangladesh

I have no objection over the purchase of 16 broad gauge Rly. locomotives from India. People are talking about the quality of these products, but, if they can pull trains in India they can also do the same in Bangladesh.

Since after 1947 then Pakistan and the present BD govts have been following a cart in the front policy. These govts would buy locomotives and coaches from other countries while India, from the very beginning went after self-reliance. It can also be said of most other products.

Today, India is exporting these manufactured goods, while both Pakistan and Bangladesh have become the end users. I think, it is a wake up time for my country. Govt must encourage the willing industrialists with a knack for manufacturing these heavy machines within the country. These industrialists may start from an assembling plant.

Then, of course, it is a very long and painful road ahead before a factory can build an entire locomotive or coach. I think, a solid experience in foundry will be needed to produce usable rolling stocks. However, it is a challenge that our country must accept.

Some people talk of an impossible $5 trillion GDP in 2050. Now, I ask these innocent propaganda victims how it is possible to do so when even a sewing machine needle is not produced in the country? I hope, people will not forward such trash thoughts in this forum.

I have no objection over the purchase of 16 broad gauge Rly. locomotives from India. People are talking about the quality of these products, but, if they can pull trains in India they can also do the same in Bangladesh.

Since after 1947 then Pakistan and the present BD govts have been following a cart in the front policy. These govts would buy locomotives and coaches from other countries while India, from the very beginning went after self-reliance. It can also be said of most other products.

Today, India is exporting these manufactured goods, while both Pakistan and Bangladesh have become the end users. I think, it is a wake up time for my country. Govt must encourage the willing industrialists with a knack for manufacturing these heavy machines within the country. These industrialists may start from an assembling plant.

Then, of course, it is a very long and painful road ahead before a factory can build an entire locomotive or coach. I think, a solid experience in foundry will be needed to produce usable rolling stocks. However, it is a challenge that our country must accept.

Some people talk of an impossible $5 trillion GDP in 2050. Now, I ask these innocent propaganda victims how it is possible to do so when even a sewing machine needle is not produced in the country? I hope, people will not forward such trash thoughts in this forum.

Dear Eastwatch:

If you are referring to me then I would like to say you that it was not my prediction. N for 5 trillion usd economy in terms of PPP by 2050 is not a big deal considering Bangladesh likely to have 270 million people by then which will translate only 18500 usd per capita gdp and in terms of nominal only around 6000-8000 usd per capita GDP.

Even though 5 trillion usd number seems pretty big but after 4 decades with 270 million population it is not that big. I can show you numerous example of countries those who have 6000-8000 usd nominal per capita gdp but does not produce anything. But for Bangladesh with such a huge population you just can not turn down that nothing can be produced in Bangladesh. Even in 2000 no one expected Bangladesh to take 2nd position in RMG or to earn more then 12 billion usd in terms of remittance. Even not in years but ina decade time if the electricity crisis and infrastructure can be developed there is a big possibility of attracting manufacturing jobs from whole world.

Just instead of having a underestimating attitude for own country you should be ambitious to attain something which is achievable. We are not talking about having 4.5 trillion economy like japan now with 36000 usd per capita gdp but a mare 7000-8000 usd gdp (nominal) or 18000 usd (ppp) per capita gdp in 40 years. If you think it is not possible to achieve maintaining 7-7.5% gdp growth then it is better for Bangladesh to dissolve.

Lastly I think economists of renowned banks has better knowledge then many other ordinary people like you and me. Obviously no prediction is 100% perfect or is certain to happen but it is based on the fact that it is achievable. If so one must go after it.

Even in all the India's poor eastern state's gdp growth is 10% or more despite the fact that they dnt have industrialized capacity or export more or earn big remittance like Bangladesh. Bangladesh should learn from it and go after high gdp growth as high as possible. Obviously current political system is a big road block and shortage of electricity to attain that. It should be fixed as soon as possible.

^^^ should not the calculation be, if population increases, per capita gdp will grow slower.
The 10 percent growth rate applies to states with low base, they wont sustain it for long.
Dont understand what remittance got to do with industrialization.

Everything is made in india now in bangladesh. Why not say Awami League and bangladesh are also made in india!!!!

^^^ should not the calculation be, if population increases, per capita gdp will grow slower.
The 10 percent growth rate applies to states with low base, they wont sustain it for long.
Dont understand what remittance got to do with industrialization.

Remittance offers a source of fund for the government instead of going to World bank or IMF. It depends on how the remittance money is spent by the government. If they spend it on infrastructure - say creation of economic zone with 24x7 uninterrupted power supply, proper and quick access to a port etc, it might trigger industrial growth.

Instead if they spend it on social programs, then in the long term it might not be beneficial.

The deal with Pakistan isn't going to materialize. Its over.

Dear Eastwatch:

If you are referring to me then I would like to say you that it was not my prediction. N for 5 trillion usd economy in terms of PPP by 2050 is not a big deal considering Bangladesh likely to have 270 million people by then which will translate only 18500 usd per capita gdp and in terms of nominal only around 6000-8000 usd per capita GDP.

Even though 5 trillion usd number seems pretty big but after 4 decades with 270 million population it is not that big. I can show you numerous example of countries those who have 6000-8000 usd nominal per capita gdp but does not produce anything. But for Bangladesh with such a huge population you just can not turn down that nothing can be produced in Bangladesh. Even in 2000 no one expected Bangladesh to take 2nd position in RMG or to earn more then 12 billion usd in terms of remittance. Even not in years but ina decade time if the electricity crisis and infrastructure can be developed there is a big possibility of attracting manufacturing jobs from whole world.

Just instead of having a underestimating attitude for own country you should be ambitious to attain something which is achievable. We are not talking about having 4.5 trillion economy like japan now with 36000 usd per capita gdp but a mare 7000-8000 usd gdp (nominal) or 18000 usd (ppp) per capita gdp in 40 years. If you think it is not possible to achieve maintaining 7-7.5% gdp growth then it is better for Bangladesh to dissolve.

Lastly I think economists of renowned banks has better knowledge then many other ordinary people like you and me. Obviously no prediction is 100% perfect or is certain to happen but it is based on the fact that it is achievable. If so one must go after it.

Even in all the India's poor eastern state's gdp growth is 10% or more despite the fact that they dnt have industrialized capacity or export more or earn big remittance like Bangladesh. Bangladesh should learn from it and go after high gdp growth as high as possible. Obviously current political system is a big road block and shortage of electricity to attain that. It should be fixed as soon as possible.

Today, Bangladesh has not even reached the very important milestone of an economic "Takeoff stage." It is is still in the "Preparation stage" for reaching that stage. I wonder if you have a real comprehension about these two terms. BD has virtually no big industries. It has only a few POCKETS of low value textile industries. It cannot produce engines, motors, railway coach, locomotives, bus, car, truck. It cannot even ASSEMBLE these high value TERTIARY products at this preparation stage.

I am not trying to insult you, but, I must ask, do you really understand the true meaning of 'Value added cost?' If you know, then tell me which high value added products BD is producing now? It is nothing or almost nothing. It means, BD economy is only in the Preparation Stage with only a few pockets of 'Primary industries,' and note that this stage is always very long and time consuming, may be another 40 or 50 years.

So, how do you expect its economy to rise astronomically within the next 38 years to reach a fully MATURED economy of $5 trillion? I truly hope you also understand the term 'Maturity.' Please learn the fundamentals of "National economic development" before you waste your precious time to propagate a $5 trillion projection. Your innocent assumption is not that innocent when I see your trait of pushing your IMAGINATIONS through our throats. Please, be realistic.

You are not the PM and you are not the FM. So, why do you come with all those trashes time and again? Who believes in all those predictions made by the Hedge Fund managers in the western countries forwarded by their investment agents?

Now, answer one simple question, at what stage of time a technologically innovative BD will finally manufacture the NEEDLES for the sewing machines used in the garments factories? Another question, will the brilliants of BD ever manufacture the sewing machines itself? Forget about producing all those Indian and Chinese high value products that we import every day, instead, give an exact answer, please, and not a $5 trillion dream.

Why do you always make fuss with the population figure? Is not it a way of putting carts in front of the horse? Do you think, only a big population is enough if other fundamentals do not change? How about small population developed countries like Singapore, malaysia, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Luxemburg, England, France and so? Why are they advanced with small population and why we are not advanced with a large population? Do you really have an answer? Do you also have an idea that there cannot be an unlimited increase of population?

People should learn first before they open their mouths. People at a young age must also cultivate a flexible mind. With your imaginative posts you bring shame to your countrymen in front of educated and knowing Indians and Pakistanis. Know the reality that when you are busy with your keyboard in Canada, there are millions of your own people who are working hard in the hot climate of Saudi Arabia just for a meagre earning.

While I agree with your general assertion, manufacturing in-house is not always possible or economically feasible. Unless the domestic demand is not there, no point building it.

For example, any investor, who will put in capital to setup a locomotive production company will need to look at future orders. BD will not have a long term commitment of locomotives, India will not buy since they are already manufacturing it in-house. Pakistan may but they have Indian and Chinese options which will be more cost effective. So building a rail locomotive domestically doesn't make sense when it can be acquired cheaply in the neighborhood.

Manufacturing in todays world need a very strong economical backbone, competing with China and upto some extent with India in this dept is mighty tough. BD should instead focus on using its people as long term capital. Educate them and export them. Unfortunately BD is right now only exporting Janitors and under wears. Creating a knowledge based economy is a better bet for smaller countries.

Whether locos should have brought from bombardier or not but not from India. This is a big waste of money to buy all these low quality product mainly to facilitate transit. Looking at longer term prospect they should have gone for better locos not these junk which will be useless in couple of years.
indian rolling stock is of god quality and reliable. it has been built in india for many decades. you have to travel in indian trains to give your opinion. it is basic but reliable.

Everything is made in india now in bangladesh. Why not say Awami League and bangladesh are also made in india!!!!
i think you should say the sentence as.. everything in Bangladesh is made in INdia.

While I agree with your general assertion, manufacturing in-house is not always possible or economically feasible. Unless the domestic demand is not there, no point building it.

For example, any investor, who will put in capital to setup a locomotive production company will need to look at future orders. BD will not have a long term commitment of locomotives, India will not buy since they are already manufacturing it in-house. Pakistan may but they have Indian and Chinese options which will be more cost effective. So building a rail locomotive domestically doesn't make sense when it can be acquired cheaply in the neighborhood.

Manufacturing in todays world need a very strong economical backbone, competing with China and upto some extent with India in this dept is mighty tough. BD should instead focus on using its people as long term capital. Educate them and export them. Unfortunately BD is right now only exporting Janitors and under wears. Creating a knowledge based economy is a better bet for smaller countries.

Good points, there are concepts such as economies of scale and competitive advantage which are relevant, a country should do what it can do best, competing with others. Also there is a matter of Historical Continuity which Japan and Korea has, which Bangladesh and Pakistan has less of compared to India and then India itself has less of it than Japan, Korea or Germany. All these affect quality of leadership and management of country and how well fed, well educated and well trained the work force is. And finally then there is the matter of race and genetics, which also makes a big difference, but then that is a politically incorrect factor to bring up.

Given all negative factors, Bangladesh has several huge advantages:

- one language (almost)
- one ethnic group (almost)
- 90% belong to one belief system

So in capable hands, Bangladesh can be made into a Japan or even better, it is not theoretically impossible.

I think, your assumption that BD has a very very limited demand for locomotives is just not true. We have 3,000 or less kms of railway lines in service. But, how many trains run on them in a day? Only a few every day, sometomes two or three. There are certainly busy lines, but not to the scale of a developed country like Japan or France. We are trying to achieve development in railway transport system. It includes laying of many more hundreds of kms of steel lines. We also want to increase the frequencies of train communications.

These two factors are supposed to increase our demand for locomotives by ten or twenty folds. So, we can deduce that unless we build the production facilities of our own we cannot achieve progress in the railway sector. Moreover, a large railway factory does not have to produce locomotives only. Such a factory shall produce goods like rolling stocks, body and engine parts etc. for the locomotives. Subsequently, such a factory can also be asked to build passenger and freight coaches. Also, the same factory can be asked to produce also the railway lines, signals, points and many other things.

We have lagged behind because our half-educated politicians talk about dreaming big, but do not do economically important fundamental things. India is developing because its govt and industrialists are on the same boat surging ahead in small but important steps.

Bangladesh has no other way than to utilize its manpower to build bulk type of industrial goods, which are more labour intensive than they are technology intensive. This is how we can achieve industrial development that will raise our GDP figure. There cannot be any complacency only because the country has successfully sent its young labours to water the desert trees of Saudi Arabia.

Is pakistan ruled by Indian dalals too?:confused:

eastwatch there are better options and you can understand why India was selected don't you?
If we are looking for railway modernization we should go for the best desiel electric trains that
can travel at over 100km/h. We are still maintaining the british era junks that run on metre guage
at 44km/h.It takes over 5hr to travel from Dhaka to shylet. By modernization I understand complete overhauling of the system, not maintaining it. Indians built their trains under license from
germany and now they have trains that can travel at 130km/h. And if the the dalal fagots in
power wanted to buy from their master, why didn't they buy india's best. They have some good fast
locos but for that the whole railway tracks should be changed but awami kalobirals won't do that.

^^^ can we talk some specifics here. Which engines do you think they bought/are buying, and what are the specs.

india's fastest train can run at 185-190 km/h but usually run at 150km/h.....(bhopal to new delhi shatabdi express)
now, the new indeginous fastest train in india is going to be unvieled soon(BHIM) which can run at 210km/h..

Back
Top Bottom