What's new

Long-range stealth bomber under development in China

I will appreciate that !

The GTRE GTX-35VS Kaveri is an afterburning turbofan being developed by the Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE), a lab under the DRDO in Bangalore.

. GTRE is now running two separate successor engine programmes, the K9+ programme and the K10 programme.

“In recent times, the engine has been able to produce thrust of 82 Kilo Newton but what the IAF and other stake-holders desire is power between 90—95 KN", senior officials told The Hindu. "On using the Kaveri for the LCA, they said the engine would be fitted on the first 40 LCAs to be supplied to the IAF when they come for upgrades to the DRDO in the latter half of the decade." Article further adds that in 2011,50-60 test flights will be carried out to mature the engine in terms of reliability, safety and airworthiness.

1. So far, 9 prototypes of Kaveri Engine and 4 prototypes of Kabani (Core) Engine have been developed.
  2. 2200 hours of test (ground and altitude conditions) has been conducted.
  3. The following two major milestones have been achieved:
    1. Successful completion of Official Altitude Testing (OAT) ; and
    2. Demonstration of First Block of flight of Kaveri Engine in Flying Test Bed (FTB)

Plans are also already under way for derivatives of the Kaveri, including a non-afterburning version for an advanced jet trainer and a high-bypass-ratio turbofan based on the Kaveri core, named as Kabini.

• GTX-35VS Kaveri:
    • HAL Tejas (planned for production models)
      • Kaveri Engine for LCA
        • Name of the Project / Programme -- Kaveri Engine for LCA
        • Date of Sanction—30 Mar 1989[18]
        • Original Probable Date of Completion (PDC) -- 31 Dec 1996
        • Revised PDC—31 Dec 2010[18]
        • Technologies / Products developed and status of Projects / Programmes on 3 May 2010—About 1880 hrs on engine test has been completed on various prototypes of Kaveri Engine. A total of eight Kaveri Engines and four core engines have been manufactured, assembled and tested. High Altitude testing on core engine has been completed successfully.[
    • HAL Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (conceptual)
    • Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
  • Derivatives:
    • The Indian government plans to adapt and further develop the Kaveri engine design and technology to create a gas-turbine powerplant for armoured fighting vehicles such as the Arjun tank.
    • Kaveri Marine Gas Turbine (KMGT), a recently developed derivative of the GTX-35VS Kaveri engine for ships.
    • Indian Railways has expressed interest in utilizing Kaveri to power locomotives

Specification (GTX-35VS Kaveri)
General characteristics
  • Type: afterburning turbofan
  • Length: 137.4 in (3490 mm)
  • Diameter: 35.8 in (910 mm)
  • Dry weight: 2,724 lb (1,235 kg) [Goal: 2,100-2450 lb (950-1100 kg)]
Components
  • Compressor: two-spool, with low-pressure (LP) and high-pressure (HP) axial compressors:
  • LP compressor with 3 fan stages and transonic blading
  • HP compressor with 6 stages, including variable inlet guide vanes and first two stators
  • Combustors: annular, with dump diffuser and air-blast fuel atomisers
  • Turbine: 1 LP stage and 1 HP stage
Performance
  • Maximum thrust:
  • Military thrust (throttled): 11,687 lbf (52.0 kN)
  • Full afterburner: 18,210 lbf (81.0 kN)
  • Specific fuel consumption:
  • Military thrust (throttled): 0.78 lb/(lbf•h) (79.52 kg/(kN·h))
  • Full afterburner: 2.03 lb/(lbf•h) (207.00 kg/(kN·h))
  • Thrust-to-weight ratio: 7.8:1 (76.0 N/kg)
Engine cycle
  • Airflow: 172 lb/s (78.0 kg/s)
  • Bypass ratio: 0.16:1 (it should be increased to 0.5:1)
  • Overall pressure ratio: 21.5:1 [Goal: 27:1]
  • LP compressor pressure ratio: 3.4:1 [Goal: 4:1]
  • HP compressor pressure ratio: 6.4:1
  • Turbine entry temperature: 2,218-2,601 °F (1,214-1,427 °C; 1,487-1,700 K) [Goal: 3,357 °F (1,847 °C; 2,120 K)]

GTRE GTX-35VS Kaveri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not as optimistic as you.

China still do not even have a indigenous car engine ,2017 is too too optimistic.

And also 10 years for india is not enough.
Actually, the military already has the WS10A in service with the J11B. The WS13 has been tested and an improved version is being built. The core of the WS15 has already made its maiden run. The WS20 is also being trialed. There are other engines under research, such as the CJ1000 and the SF variants.

Actually, the military already has the WS10A in service with the J11B. The WS13 has been tested and an improved version is being built. The core of the WS15 has already made its maiden run. The WS20 is also being trialed. There are other engines under research, such as the CJ1000 and the SF variants.

First ,In service does not mean it is mature tech.

second, compared to US or Ru engine,our parameter is still weak.

Our first priority goal is to get a mature engine and build a develop team.

This is the problem of we have or not .

First ,In service does not mean it is mature tech.

second, compared to US or Ru engine,our parameter is still weak.

Our first priority goal is to get a mature engine and build a develop team.

This is the problem of we have or not .

Please get yourself educated before make any statment, or you can just google it.

China have many Car engines, even Change An has its "Blue Core", not to mention other much stronger companies. And also, please search "BYD Qin". I hope it will availlable in HK, then I can buy one.

Last edited:
Please get yourself educated before make any statment, or you can just google it.

China have many Car engines, even Change An has its "Blue Core", not to mention other much stronger companies. And also, please search "BYD Qin". I hope it will availlable in HK, then I can buy one.
I stay in mainland , I know it , do not need you to yell at me !

Maybe, but your words just tell others you are an idiot.
Engine made by Qirui has been exported to Japan for many years.
For Qirui, it is firstly a car engine maker and then a car producer

Just ignore him.

we also have car / truck engines developed and manufactured by Great Wall, BYD (electric), Geely, Weichai, Sinotruk
BYD's Qin is very sexy but in Hongkong they have a different driving system so Qin wont be there anytime soon

do you know what engine that the indian bloke has offered to show you @post 31?
search "kaveri" engine to know something about it

You are not completely incorrect saying we dont have top notched car engines.
Yes we dont have right now at the level of Formula cars or luxury cars but we are getting there hopefully within the next decade

As far as jet engines are concerned, I think we are in the bottle neck of having to speed up productions / mass productions. You have to understand for jet engines to go into totally industrialized operations, you need the best equipment/machinery and a well developed supply chain for special material, lubrications, tools, bearings, nuts and bolts and the precision and high temperature testing equipment, gauges, precision lathes, sanding grinding polishing ...

I may draw analogies of a tailor and a family sized garment factory and a mass production garment factory if you see what I mean for our engine producing capabilities. I agree with some of the members above me that we have the technology but there are so many "mouths" to feed: J-10B; J-11B; J-15, J-16, J-20, Y-20, FC-01/JF-17

Priorities have been given to some models but for other jets, I guess we have to be a little bit patient!

Last edited:
This is one of the more sane posts I've seen here. Chinese can develop the technology, the problem is they don't have it right now. Same with the Indians, they can develop the technology, but the fine-tuning aspects of building a fighter jet engine don't just come overnight.

You have to gain knowledge either through an iterative process (trial and error like the Chinese), or have someone come in and teach you how to build it (India and Snecma).

Both methods will work, but right now neither country can mass produce reliable engines.

You are wrong
you are not on the same level with China on jet engine development
We have the technology but not the speed of production (mass productions that can meet orders sufficiently)

india has neither!

I do not want to argue with you such brilliant people , just baidu "奇瑞发动机"

Tell me about how did QR get the Tech.

And how many cars use indigenous car engine on the road of China.

At last , use toothbrush to clear your filthy mouth please.

I do not want to argue with you such brilliant people , just baidu "奇瑞发动机"

Tell me about how did QR get the Tech.

And how many cars use indigenous car engine on the road of China.

At last , use toothbrush to clear your filthy mouth please.

Stop this infighting please!

You are wrong
you are not on the same level with China on jet engine development
We have the technology but not the speed of production (mass productions that can meet orders sufficiently)

india has neither!
You are correct. Just ask him for a photo of LCA flying with kaveri engine , be it prototype of operation engine. We will eat back our words.
While just Google ws-10 engine. You can easily find proof and photo of J-10B fitted with WS-10 flying and powering in the skies.
So that is the different between Indian and China.

do you know what engine that the indian bloke has offered to show you @post 31?
search "kaveri" engine to know something about it

You are not completely incorrect saying we dont have top notched car engines.
Yes we dont have right now at the level of Formula cars or luxury cars but we are getting there hopefully within the next decade

As far as jet engines are concerned, I think we are in the bottle neck of having to speed up productions / mass productions. You have to understand for jet engines to go into totally industrialized operations, you need the best equipment/machinery and a well developed supply chain for special material, lubrications, tools, bearings, nuts and bolts and the precision and high temperature testing equipment, gauges, precision lathes, sanding grinding polishing ...

I may draw analogies of a tailor and a family sized garment factory and a mass production garment factory if you see what I mean for our engine producing capabilities. I agree with some of the members above me that we have the technology but there are so many "mouths" to feed: J-10B; J-11B; J-15, J-16, J-20, Y-20, FC-01/JF-17

Priority have been given to some models but for other jets, I guess we have to be a little bit patient!
About Jet engine , We do have great achievement , but the quality is still far away from US engine.

About Car engine , I just want to say , the So-called indigenous engine tech is imported from foreign company, we are only the producers.

Stop this infighting please!

Of course , I said I will not argue with him .

It is also not necessary in consideration of his words.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom