What's new

London riots: Violence erupts for third day

Ahhh

Unchosen 1 - Always Neutral 0

but I guess it would be a hollow victory since beating him is akin to winning gold at the special Olympics.

As if you will ever vote for me on this thread. Unchosen zero, me zero and you minus 10.

Seems like the only EU nations to not have a riot in last 20 years is France and Germany only.

Actually I think its ONLY Germany, France had its fair share of riots, it just never get the attention from the media because the French protest/riots so often.

That's what happens with increased numbers of jobless, poor parenting and levels of education. They think society is unfair to them, the government is unfair to them, police are targeting them and then all hell breaks lose. They don't need to provide anyone with sound reasonings, they will just go and do what they want to do to. It's like trying to reason with the mentally handicapped. The only solution is to go hard on them and change the country's social policies and economic structure.

The tories and Labour pandering to middle class sensibilities with things like ASBOs, basically tailor made for punishing young people.

As if you will ever vote for me on this thread. Unchosen zero, me zero and you minus 10.

Your wit continues to astound.

You know your system is broken when you turn from the politicians who wrecked the economy to the politicians who cut social spending to nothing and caused this riot. And still have faith enough to think that the politicians who wrecked the economy will make thing right again.

Love it a Chinese living abroad talks about Riots in the west. Forgets tianmmen, tibet and xingjiang.

Actually I think its ONLY Germany, France had its fair share of riots, it just never get the attention from the media because the French protest/riots so often.

great minds think alike lol

As long as Moamer Qaddafi's regime is alive, he is free to criticize British government. As long as he is alive which might not be true even tomorrow. We can only hope. Nice criticism though.

Londoners begin riot clean-up amid estimated £100m street violence damage

149435-110810-riot-clapham-cleanup.jpg

LONDONERS have begun cleaning up their city after a third night of riots, aided by a Twitter and Facebook campaign which rallied people to the most damaged areas.

The Association of British Insurers has so far estimated the damage caused by the riots across Britain as well over $A160 million.

The online-driven clean-up campaign is partly a riposte to the way that social networking sites and BlackBerry messaging services have been used by rioters to organise the violence in the British capital.

An online campaign, Clean Up London, (@Riotcleanup) had 27,500 followers on Twitter by mid-morning on Tuesday, as it instructed people to congregate to remove the glass and bricks strewn across the streets of the city.

In Clapham Junction, a relatively affluent area of south London, more than 200 people gathered at a police cordon waiting to be allowed access to a street full of burned-out terraced buildings and smashed glass.

158047-110810-riot-clapham-cleanup.jpg

The account had 70,223 followers on Twitter by mid-afternoon, as it instructed people to congregate to remove the glass and bricks strewn across the streets of the city.

Amid a party atmosphere in the area nicknamed "Nappy Valley'' because of the preponderance of young middle class families, volunteers brought their own brooms and bin-bags to help with the clean-up.

Organisers handed out brand new brushes to those who had come unprepared.

There were cheers as a police car drove through the cordon, even though the volunteers had to wait for more than four hours for officers to allow them through to what they had deemed a "crime scene''.

When they were eventually allowed through they all raised their brooms in the air.

But the mood turned when London Mayor Boris Johnson -- criticised for being away on holiday for the first two days of the riots -- later came to Clapham Junction to thank the volunteers, saying their work represents "the spirit of London''.

He was met with chants of "Where's your broom'' and questions about the response of the authorities to the violence.

Debris left by looters who targeted a huge Debenhams department store was littered across the street. Rioters had also targeted a party shop, stealing masks with which to disguise themselves.

In Peckham in southeast London, about 20 members of the community arrived on the high street today morning armed with dustpans and brushes to offer small businesses help in cleaning up their shops which had been smashed in.

"I was devastated when I saw what happened last night. I was really angry so I thought I'd channel my anger in a constructive way," said one woman in her 20s.

"We have never met each other before, we just spoke on Twitter this morning. Twitter can be used for good."

Many clean-up volunteers rejected arguments that the rioting was a sign of social ills or the harsh austerity measures introduced by Prime Minister David Cameron's coalition government to reduce Britain's record deficit.

"People are saying it's to do with the cuts - no!'' said Tom Ward-Thomas, 23, an actor who said he had come from the wealthy neighbourhood of Fulham to help out.

But Basma Hassan, a 29-year-old doctor who was also at the Clapham Junction clean-up, disagreed.

"We have to ask why this is happening,'' she said.

"These may not be the most politically articulate kids, and I agree they are expressing it in a mindlessly criminal way, but we need to step back and looks at why a section of society does this.''

In the badly-hit east London district of Hackney, local mayor Jules Pipe told AFP their response to the "outrageous and despicable'' rioting was "to restore normality as soon as possible.''

"All debris in the borough was cleared by 7:30am, apart from the burnt-out cars, which should all have gone by lunchtime.

"So that's one of the key things for us, to make sure that people feel safer by cleaning things up, allowing the businesses that aren't damaged to open and continue.''

Love it a Chinese living abroad talks about Riots in the west. Forgets tianmmen, tibet and xingjiang.

I live in England. Stop just reffering to our chinese freind. I actually agree with a lot of what he is saying.

That's what happens with increased numbers of jobless, poor parenting and levels of education. They think society is unfair to them, the government is unfair to them, police are targeting them and then all hell breaks lose. They don't need to provide anyone with sound reasonings, they will just go and do what they want to do to. It's like trying to reason with the mentally handicapped. The only solution is to go hard on them and change the country's social policies and economic structure.

GUESS RIOTS NEVER HAPPEN IN CHINA. JUST TO GOOD PARENTING OR MAYBE PARROTTING?

So what do failed countries like Libya and other such do, wait for a small problem in the west so that they can claim its the same as whats happening in their countries! Its noteworthy that Libya and such other countries have a history of state sponsored terrorism against the west for which the west has punished them, all that pent up anger manifests in the form of such rubbish.

its not a small problem hundreds of millions of £s damage has been done

As long as Moamer Qaddafi's regime is alive, he is free to criticize British government. As long as he is alive which might not be true even tomorrow. We can only hope. Nice criticism though.

I agree with you for a change except the bit about wishing the guy unwell.

The tories and Labour pandering to middle class sensibilities with things like ASBOs, basically tailor made for punishing young people.

Both parties are utter bs if you ask me. It has always been the case of promising the sky and giving people dirt once they get elected. Neither knows how to get their jobs done properly. They are simply too busy arguing with eachother in the house of commons, come out for some camera time, get paid handsomely whilst shamelessly claiming more to pay for their second or third houses, cars, travel, maids etc etc.

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom