What's new

London 2012 Olympics: China's Yi Siling wins first gold medal of the Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you live in some state where basement is not very common? Based on my observations, ping pong tables are so popular that I once thought it is the second most commonly seen sport equipment other than treadmills in a basement in the states(at least in New England and the mid-west area). And it is also a perfect game in offices or hallways. It is indeed not a 'real competition' for those who don't know how to play it, but that applies to all sports. Just like it won't be a real competition if I were asked to tackle Tom Brady. but by any means, Ping Pong is quite a lot of fun. Just like football, you don't have to be really competitive to participate yet you could still have a good time. That is why it is quite popular in some states despite the lack of top players.

I think the word you are looking for is not 'real competition', but 'commercial incentive'. not many people are serious about ping pong simply because it does not lead to a prosperous career or commercial success, and that is partly due to the low athletic level of ping pong players in the states. the poor financial yield in turn cannot maintain a considerably large pool of professionals, which is a must to improve the level.

No, its just table tennis (we call it ping pong) and badminton are not considered 'real competitions' (i.e respectable aside from a diversion) by most in the US and probably North America. Its on the same level as 'e-sports', that is, competitive gaming in terms of what most people would think about it.

It genuinely isn't anything against China, thats just the way it is.

I doubt the same thing could be said about the chinese posters desire to lower the medal count for swimming on here. If it was China dominating swimming they would be cheering and dismissive of the idea of 'too many medals'

I guess you live in some state where basement is not very common? Based on my observations, ping pong tables are so popular that I once thought it is the second most commonly seen sport equipment other than treadmills in a basement in the states(at least in New England and the mid-west area). And it is also a perfect game in offices or hallways. It is indeed not a 'real competition' for those who don't know how to play it, but that applies to all sports. Just like it won't be a real competition if I were asked to tackle Tom Brady. but by any means, Ping Pong is quite a lot of fun. Just like football, you don't have to be really competitive to participate yet you could still have a good time. That is why it is quite popular in some states despite the lack of top players.

I think the word you are looking for is not 'real competition', but 'commercial incentive'. not many people are serious about ping pong simply because it does not lead to a prosperous career or commercial success, and that is partly due to the low athletic level of ping pong players in the states. the poor financial yield in turn cannot maintain a considerably large pool of professionals, which is a must to improve the level.

Yea I think you explained it better than I did, it is a fun activity but it is not seen as something a person could live well on.

You can also note that the major events that attract a lot of attention, emotional and financial, have athleticism that came from military, war and combat related tasks.

Shot put - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Homer makes mention of competitions of rock throwing by soldiers during the Siege of Troy but there is no record of any dead weights being thrown in Greek competitions. The first evidence for stone- or weight-throwing events date back more than 2000 years in the Scottish Highlands.[1] In the 16th century King Henry VIII was noted for his prowess in court competitions of weight and hammer throwing.
The others like dash, hurdle, and the various swimming contests have clear and obvious military origins. Not to mention 'combative' contests like fencing, archery, rifle and judo.

Table tennis may have its own physical demands on the player but I doubt that the best male table tennis player can hold his own against the best female tennis player and it is that scale difference that elevated tennis to world class status, financial and everything else.

Super Dan and his also world champion wife Xiexingfang.

12117980.jpg

we need to get 9 more golds to retain our number 1 position go china go

WEYMOUTH and PORTLAND, Aug. 6 (Xinhua) -- China's Xu Lijia won Laser Radial class in the Olympic sailing regatta after medal race on Monday, the second gold ever in Chinese Olympic sailing history.

Xu finished the medal race first, and had a total score of 35 points. The Netherlands and Belgium won silver and bronze respectively.

I thought only european play sailing.
what a surprise!! congrat to our 31th gold.

during the last 7 days, China has 20 gold points, will got 10-13 golds; US has 27 gold points, will got 14-18 golds; China and US will nerely have the same number of golds.
so China will got 40-43 golds
US will got 44-46 golds from London

Lin Dan and his wife Xie Xingfang
123538158_41n.jpg

123538158_301n.jpg

c_123538158_3.htm

123538158_51n.jpg

123538158_61n.jpg

123538158_71n.jpg

He’s already had a wife?

LOL! That’s going to break lots girls’ heart! :lol: He is dubbed by Wall Street Journal as a “badminton bad boy”, perhaps based on tattoos on his both arms.

Man, he looks like a Chinese movie star, but I can’t remember the star’s name.

He’s indeed super!

:agree:

This is a war,it is not only a game,we know it and we must face it,
a war between China and the Anglo-Saxon piiiigs。:sniper:
Another gold was robbed by the fxxcking London whitey cheerleading game。:sniper:
But we know you are the champion---you are my proud!we love you--Chen Yibing!
Img349055392.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom