London 2012 Olympics: China's Yi Siling wins first gold medal of the Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
London 2012 Olympics: China's Yi Siling wins first gold medal of the Games in 10m air rifle
China's Yi Siling shot straight into the history books today, clinching the first gold medal of the London 2012 Games in the women's 10m air rifle discipline.

London 2012 Olympics: Yi Siling wins the first gold medal of the Games in shooting
Golden girl: Yi Siling has won the first gold medal of the Games Photo: PA

By Tom Rowley, at the Royal Artillery Barracks

11:34AM BST 28 Jul 2012

The 23 year-old world No 1 beat Poland’s Sylwia Bogacka by 0.7 points in a nail-biting final at the Royal Artillery Barracks in Greenwich, London.

She had long been favourite to triumph, securing the first medal with a score of 502.9 less than 11 hours after Sir Paul McCartney closed last night’s Opening Ceremony of the Olympics. Fellow Chinese shooter Yu Dan took the bronze medal.

Yi's win continues a very successful year, after winning gold in Munich and silver in London in the International Shooting Sport Federation’s World Cup series.

She fought off 56 rivals, including Malaysian shooter Nur Suryani Mohamed Taibi, who is eight months pregnant.

She finished 34th in the qualification round, but was mainly thankful she did not go into labour during the competition.

“I just prayed that I could get to a labour room,” she said. “I would accept it with an open heart. I am not a normal mummy doing everything slowly.

“The baby is quite fine. She hasn’t made an appearance during training or competition. I told her to behave herself. I felt only three or four kicks during the competition. When she kicked I tried to breathe in, breathe out and make myself calm.”

Bogacka and Yi were tied for much of the final, with small gaps only appearing occasionally in a tense 20 minutes with 10 shots each.

The Pole narrowly beat Yi in this morning’s qualification, despite the Chinese shooter’s near perfect 399 out of 400.

Yi only took up shooting in 2007 after failing to make it in track and field and toying with dancing. But she quickly rose to dominance, winning gold at the 2010 world championships.

Katerina Emmons, the Czech who claimed gold in Beijing, very nearly failed to reached the final after facing a shoot-off for the eighth place, which she won by just 0.3 points.

She finished fourth, a disappointment after winning the Milan event of this year’s World Cup.

But several shooters failed to make the final. Jennifer McIntosh, the youngest member of Team GB's shooting squad finished 36th, shooting 392 out of 400.

The 21 year-old was competing in her first Olympics, after securing two gold medals and a bronze in the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

Germany's decision not to send Sonja Pfeilschifter, the world number two, backfired spectacularly when their top-ranked shooter, world number seven Jessica Mager finished 20th.

6591748520120728190153056.jpg

get_image.php

Country
People's Republic of China
Birth date and place 06/05/1989 - Guangdong (CHN)
Age 23

Height Weight Gender
165 cm / 5'5" 54 kg / 119 lbs F
Sport
ShootingShooting
Women's 10m Air Rifle

World champion Yi Siling of China won the first gold medal at the London Olympics on Saturday, in the women's 10 metres air rifle shooting.

Long-time leader Sylwia Bogacka of Poland took silver and Yu Dan of China bronze.

Another 301 gold medals are up for grabs at the Games.

U know why she cried after winning a gold medal. Cos for those athletes who fail to get any medals in London, they are likely to be sent to reeducation through labour camps.

haha,the brozen medalist is also a Chinese athlete,so she will be shot after the awarding ceremony.she is also very happy.

659174852012072819312703.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom