What's new

Lenovo emerges as top PC seller in India, overtakes Dell & HP

Let say the world joins together, no nukes, with good coordination and invade the US, you think she can defend against such a force?
In that case, these armies will be facing a couple hundred millions angry armed civilians. I bet most here have never fired a gun, least of all the Chinese boys.

I would not go as far as to say Lenovo is 'junk', but the most credit that Lenovo can earn is about preserving the institutional memory of the original IBM brand. A wise move on Lenovo's part.

But here is an illuminating article...

What Facebook says about America - CNN.com

Forgive the author's loose interpretation of 'invention' regarding the aircraft and the automobile. She is speaking in general terms.

An exceptional basic education system is for naught if the societal structure is rigid and confining the creativity that should have been fostered by that exceptional basic education system. The author may used America as an example but her larger argument is applicable to the notional 'West' as well.

The fact that America is an immigrant country is a sore point for most here.

And this is the clincher on why China will remain largely far less innovative than the notional 'West', that the Chinese government does not know when to remove itself from the capitalism flowchart. That does not mean the US does not have our flaws but what it means is that the US government have been institutionally restrained in meddling with capitalism in general. That plus the equally important institutional restrains on freedom of thought and dissent.

What this mean is that as long as China remains a politically oppressive country, the most that the Chinese entrepreneurs can accomplish is material wealth, not truly innovative products that changes people's lives when those lives are spread across societal spectrum. Microsoft's Windows affect the poor and the wealthy alike. That was Gates' mission. His wealth accumulation is secondary to that. Same for Jobs that despite his billions, he lived in an ordinary neighborhood. What the author is saying is that the US is a fertile ground for those who believe in his mission, whatever that may be, while the rest of the world struggles with that notion in varying degrees. Financial successes rewards the person for his hard work in his mission. The two is in a constant push-pull relationship.

You have more surplus resources due to low population density, unexploited coal/iron/oil, large farmland and get to pick and choose elites.

In that case, these armies will be facing a couple hundred millions angry armed civilians. I bet most here have never fired a gun, least of all the Chinese boys.

Iraqi civilians with guns didn't do so well against helicopter gunships, bombers and tanks. Why would you?

But I asked upfront what do YOU want to imply .. unless you wanted to put in some meaningless, irrelevant gibberish?

Jokes aside (non-offensive), where is this gibberish I spoke of?

And why this "shyness" about your Bengali identity .... that is, unless you don't have one.

Well, I've been accused of many things ranging from being an Indian bootlicker to a false-flagger Pakistani, or a wannabe Pakistani. Even as far as "Razakar".

But, I'd leave it to you to guess my identity :P

And then you have Jamaatis from Pakistan , Bangladesh who cant even make a decent scooter , trolling against India

:woot: :woot: :woot:

You have more surplus resources due to low population density, unexploited coal/iron/oil, large farmland and get to pick and choose elites.

Iraqi civilians with guns didn't do so well against helicopter gunships, bombers and tanks. Why would you?

In addition, in all of the external wars in the world, the land of usa is left unscathed (except for 9/11). They dont need a penny for rebuilding their country due to war destruction and that has brought prosperity to usa after ww2 for almost 3 decades from 1945–73 (28 years).

The Iraqi and Afghanistan wars are just 2 of the examples. The vietnam war, the korean peninsula war ..all of these military conflicts in which usa has the absolute upper hand in modern weaponry but has failed far short of victories.

PS:the guy is the biggest american fanboy on the forum who has forgotten completely his idols' massacre and poisoning on his race.

Then how do you explain how Japan and South Korea passed China after WW 2? Neither of them were paragons of democracy and capitalism but neither of them completely adopted the Chinese way. Bottom line is that you and your friends are uncomfortable with the generalized truths the CNN author laid out.

Microsoft Windows is a 'product innovation'. If I use Windows to make travel reservations easier, or to make me a better accountant, or to print documents faster, those are called 'service innovations'. Japan invented the NAND cell and that is a 'product innovation'. Someone comes along and make the flash drive a movie rental device and that would be both a 'service innovation' and a 'product innovation'. Sony-Phillips invented the compact disc storage device and that is a 'product innovation'. Someone else came along and turn that into a music and video transport device and that would be both a 'service' and 'product' innovations. India's reputation as a 'call center' country is a 'service innovation'. I can go on and on...

Your arguments have nothing or very little to do with what the CNN author was talking about. So if China is so well stocked with high IQ people, what happened to both types of innovations from China that the inferior Asians sped ahead of China for so long in both, and that only recently had China adopt what has been evident?

That is pathetic. The US military will handle all the hardware from these invading armies, assuming they can get here in the first place. Their soldiers will face an angry and armed American populace operating on home soil advantage. The Iraq analogy works only if there is the same gross technological disparity.

PS:the guy is the biggest american fanboy on the forum who has forgotten completely his idols' massacre and poisoning on his race.
And the biggest Chinese fanboy here is a Chinese-American living in the US but too cowardly to go live in China.

I have never owned a Lenovo product - and it is not because it is Chinese - I just prefer buying Acer and Dell. It is a matter of preference. At the end, Lenovo bought IBM's computing division just like Tata bought Jaguar. That doesn't make Jaguar an Indian car. Similarly, saying that the ThinkPad is a Chinese product is overstating. Sure, the ownership is Chinese. But China does make some products which can appeal to the lower end of the market and India has a huge appetite for cheap products. I recently saw a Lenovo Tablet at Croma the Indian version of Best Buy. It was priced at 15k and placed next to the Xooms and the Sony Tablet S - which were 35k and 39k. Obviously for someone with a budget of 15k, they would buy the Lenovo. What's the problem?

BANGALORE:

Coming out of a slump, the Indian PC market grew 7.7% in the first quarter of the year as a revival in consumer sentiment backed by strong sales in semi-urban areas pushed sales upwards.

...- Economic Times[/url]

no no no , "Slum" with no "P"! And I am certain it's not out of it yet.

Indian press :no:

The size of indian IT is about US$70 billion from overseas operations which accounts for 80-90% of the whole industry. So a simple grossing up will give you an amount of about $81.4 billion (say on 85%) for the size of the whole indian IT.

Revenue of Huawei in 2011 per the above report is RMB 204 bln yuan or US$32.36 bln

Revenue of Huawei, just ONE Chinese IT Company, despite of a shrinkage in sales and income performance as affected by the global downturn, can generate a size equivalent to 32/81, about 40%, of the whole indian IT!

One implication of being an IT ODM company is its impact on the country's economy is pervasive throughout the whole supply chain whereas human intensive companies like those in indian IT, the impact on indian's supply chain is far limited, and worse still, a proportion of its operations is situated overseas which can only provide opportunites to indians holding temp working visas at lower costs (than the equivalence of non-visa status employees) so as to remain competitive (bidder @ lowest price) !

Incorrect analysis.

In services industries, there is no raw material purchase.

Total Revenue (service industries) = Company profits + Wages to Employees.

Total Revenue (manufacturing industries) = Company profits + Wages to Employees + Cost of Raw Materials

RIL Total revenues = USD 58 Billion -> Doesn't mean Reliance alone is almost as big as all IT services companies in India, combined.

Reliance buys crude oil for $ 50 Billion and sells Petroleum products for $ 58 Billion (as an illustration).
Reliance profits = $ 4 Billion
Wages to Reliance employess = $ 4 Billion

So, the real value added by Reliance in only $ 8 Billion (and not $ 58 Billion).

Infosys Revenue = $ 7 Billion, of which profilts = $ 1.7 Billion and wages cost = $5.3 Billion
The real value added by Infosys = $ 7 Billion (comparable to Reliance)

It is foolish to think that Reliance is 8 or 9 times Infosys, just because it's Total Revenues are $ 58 Billion.

Unless Huawei produces everything from "mining silicon" to "foundry" to "polythene used to package", Total Revenue is not equal to value added.

As another illustration, if China imports $ 1200 Billion of electronics components from Japan, South Korea and Taiwan and sells assembled laptops and iPhones to US and EU for $ 1300 Billion .. the value add from China is only $ 100 Billion.

If IT services companies import no "components" from South Korea, Taiwan or Japan .. but simply sell "Employee Services" for $ 70 Billion .. the value add is $ 70 Billion.

Another example: If Bao Steel were to mine 100 million tonnes of iron-ore and 200 million tonnes of coal from "chinese mines", produce steel ... and sell the entire output for a Total Revenue= $ 200 Billion ... then the total value add will $ 200 Billion. The key is that they produce "everything" in house. Only then, Total Revenue = value added.

So, Huawei value add cannot be taken as Total Revenue of $ 32.36 billion, unless it runs a "mine to packaging material" production. Only it's profits + Employees wages is the total value add.

śūnya_0_Zero;2953064 said:
Incorrect analysis.

In services industries, there is no raw material purchase.

Total Revenue (service industries) = Company profits + Wages to Employees.

Total Revenue (manufacturing industries) = Company profits + Wages to Employees + Cost of Raw Materials

RIL Total revenues = USD 58 Billion -> Doesn't mean Reliance alone is almost as big as all IT services companies in India, combined.

Reliance buys crude oil for $ 50 Billion and sells Petroleum products for $ 58 Billion (as an illustration).
Reliance profits = $ 4 Billion
Wages to Reliance employess = $ 4 Billion

So, the real value added by Reliance in only $ 8 Billion (and not $ 58 Billion).

Infosys Revenue = $ 7 Billion, of which profilts = $ 1.7 Billion and wages cost = $5.3 Billion
The real value added by Infosys = $ 7 Billion (comparable to Reliance)

It is foolish to think that Reliance is 8 or 9 times Infosys, just because it's Total Revenues are $ 58 Billion.

Unless Huawei produces everything from "mining silicon" to "foundry" to "polythene used to package", Total Revenue is not equal to value added.

As another illustration, if China imports $ 1200 Billion of electronics components from Japan, South Korea and Taiwan and sells assembled laptops and iPhones to US and EU for $ 1300 Billion .. the value add from China is only $ 100 Billion.

If IT services companies import no "components" from South Korea, Taiwan or Japan .. but simply sell "Employee Services" for $ 70 Billion .. the value add is $ 70 Billion.

Another example: If Bao Steel were to mine 100 million tonnes of iron-ore and 200 million tonnes of coal from "chinese mines", produce steel ... and sell the entire output for a Total Revenue= $ 200 Billion ... then the total value add will $ 200 Billion. The key is that they produce "everything" in house. Only then, Total Revenue = value added.

So, Huawei value add cannot be taken as Total Revenue of $ 32.36 billion, unless it runs a "mine to packaging material" production. Only it's profits + Employees wages is the total value add.

Huawei has processor design (like Qualcomm and NVIDIA, its design division is Huawei Hisilicon), optical system design, software design, system integration, assembly, construction, management and consulting. It just doesn't have the physical fab, which is outsourced to others. However, fab services are not very expensive, as the profitable model of NVIDIA and Qualcomm show. So yes, Huawei is pretty much everything after the fab.

Yep, it's party-time in Beijing once again. While the PC industry as a whole reportedly grew by a tight handful of percentage points over the past year, Lenovo has somehow managed to continue its long-running growth spurt, with shipments up 44 percent and operating profits up 46 percent. Sales of both laptop and desktop (including IdeaCentre all-in-ones) grew roughly equally, helped along by blossoming demand in emerging markets, while fledgling smartphones and tablets also proved popular in Lenovo's homeland. The manufacturer reckons it's now second in command of the market behind HP, although it conveniently disregards Apple's iPad from its ranking.

· Record full-year sales of $US29.6 billion
· Record full-year pre-tax income of $US582 million
· Profit attributable to equity holders of $US473 million
· Record full-year market share of 12.9 percent *
· Full-year basic EPS of 4.67 US cents , or 36.32 HK cents
· Net cash reserves of $US4.1 billion (as of March 31, 2012)

Lenovo beats PC market with 46 percent profit surge -- Engadget

Then how do you explain how Japan and South Korea passed China after WW 2? Neither of them were paragons of democracy and capitalism but neither of them completely adopted the Chinese way. Bottom line is that you and your friends are uncomfortable with the generalized truths the CNN author laid out.

Microsoft Windows is a 'product innovation'. If I use Windows to make travel reservations easier, or to make me a better accountant, or to print documents faster, those are called 'service innovations'. Japan invented the NAND cell and that is a 'product innovation'. Someone comes along and make the flash drive a movie rental device and that would be both a 'service innovation' and a 'product innovation'. Sony-Phillips invented the compact disc storage device and that is a 'product innovation'. Someone else came along and turn that into a music and video transport device and that would be both a 'service' and 'product' innovations. India's reputation as a 'call center' country is a 'service innovation'. I can go on and on...

Your arguments have nothing or very little to do with what the CNN author was talking about. So if China is so well stocked with high IQ people, what happened to both types of innovations from China that the inferior Asians sped ahead of China for so long in both, and that only recently had China adopt what has been evident?

That is pathetic. The US military will handle all the hardware from these invading armies, assuming they can get here in the first place. Their soldiers will face an angry and armed American populace operating on home soil advantage. The Iraq analogy works only if there is the same gross technological disparity.

And the biggest Chinese fanboy here is a Chinese-American living in the US but too cowardly to go live in China.

Easy, they got big $$$$$ from uncle Sam, China didn't.
Japan and Korea used US aid to build their economy.
China had to start from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom