What's new

Lenovo emerges as top PC seller in India, overtakes Dell & HP

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
BANGALORE: For the first time, Chinese personal computer maker Lenovo has cornered the largest share in the overall Indian PC market, overtaking Dell and Hewlett-Packard (HP), according to data from market researcher IDC.

Latest data shows that Lenovo has a market share of 15.8% in the three months to March 31, compared to 10% in the previous period, which had put the Chinese PC-maker at 4th spot then. Dell, which is at number two spot, saw its market share shrink by 2.6 % while HP follows with a market share of 14.9 % in the March quarter.

With the top spot switching among HP, Dell and Lenovo, Indian PC market is witnessing high competition, especially as the PC penetration here is extremely low and hardware makers sense a long-term opportunity.

Lenovo's push to the top was aided by a large order from the Tamil Nadu government to supple free laptops to graduating school children - a promise made during last year's state assembly elections. A few months ago, Tamil Nadu announced procurement of 9 lakh laptops at about 14,000 a piece. Lenovo, along with HCL Infosystems and Acer, had bagged the contract.

Coming out of a slump, the Indian PC market grew 7.7% in the first quarter of the year as a revival in consumer sentiment backed by strong sales in semi-urban areas pushed sales upwards.

According to IDC, nearly 2.63 million units were shipped from January to March this year. Consumer segment grew the most at 19.6% in the first quarter of 2012 over the same period last year.

"Consumer-led sales are a healthy sign," said Adwaita Govind Menon, associate director & head of new products at the Indian arm of IDC.

"The growth in the consumer category is seen primarily in the portable PCs as consumer purchase pattern shifts away from the desktop devices towards more compact and mobile devices such as notebooks, mini-notebooks and other ultra portable PCs," said Kiran Kumar, senior market analyst at IDC.

As governments in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab gear up to fulfil election promises, more such government deals are likely to happen in the last quarter of this fiscal year.

Despite being the festive season, computer sales had gone down in the December quarter last year because of a shortage of hard disks and fluctuations in the value of rupee against other currencies, especially dollar. Brands that are importing components or the whole PC to sell it in India are struggling because of the price rise and foreign exchange fluctuations.

"Everyone is making a loss in the Tamil Nadu deal," said Menon. Though sequential growth of 7.7 % is encouraging, a year-on-year growth of 3.5% is not enough, feel PC makers.

"Comparatively, emerging markets are growing 15-16%," said Amar Babu, Managing Director, Lenovo India. Going by the low PC penetration level, India should grow much faster and consumer buying needs to go up, said Babu.

Lenovo emerges as top PC seller in India, overtakes Dell & HP - Economic Times

^^^ The reason is Most Indians Dont Buy Branded PC... & there r very Few Branded PC available apart from Few Indian players ... Most Indians Assembly there PC's rather than Buying a Branded Cheap quality Branded Stuff... its always better to Hand pick the Stuff u need then going for Stuff u dont need which u get along with a Branded PC...

Last week I posted in the Sino-German Affair thread a similar article with the difference being Lenovo the top PC seller in Germany. It would be interesting to know which price range Indians prefer. In Germany it's around 800 to 1200 €.

Get Lost thats because we like meddling up with Chinese ... every time we type on Key board its like a Punching a PLA soldier ... when we play CS 1.6 we name the bot as PLA1, PLA2, PLA3... respectively & Put the game at easy level killing the BOTs...

even in this very forum we r using Chinese PC to spread our propaganda against Chinese & Trolling every Chinese member...

we r using ur made Goods against U hahahahahahaahahahaha we evil yindoo India...

You still play Counter-Strike 1.6? :rofl:

Buy a better computer, and buy a game that has been released in the past 10 years.

Chinese you have to know the double edges that these development made. Helping a potential foes' modernization especially at low cost is not always at your interest.

Think twice when your venders provide building constructions, contracting power generation equipments, facilitates governmental projects , etc.

Chinese you have to know the double edges that these development made. Helping a potential foes' modernization especially at low cost is not always at your interest.

Think twice when your venders provide building constructions, contracting power generation equipments, facilitates governmental projects , etc.
1. china officially does not consider india as potential foes.
2. even to real enemy. we will keep make business with them.
money is never our enemy.
3.Lenovo is not low cost.

You're right. :tup:

The idea here is to get India to continue relying on foreign goods. It doesn't matter if it is Chinese computers or French planes, as long as it is not Indian.

India even asks China to help us build their infrastructure, roads/trains/buildings etc. That is how bad it has become.

I don't know how people tolerate junk.. Thinkpad was a brand and Lenovo has turned that into another Chinese junk..

Hate to say - Junk sells and Chinese sweatshops are running because of all the junk being in demand..

Have used both Thinkpads and Lenovos for official work. I had Thinkpad T-40 series for a while and had no issues whatsoever and as soon as Lenovo came into play and I had to switched over to it as part of company wide change and soon the crashing tale started with the laptop crashing because of hardware issues every few months.. At the end, company decided to switch over to Dell and my experience with them since then is pretty good..

I think IBM should stop promoting Lenovo and it will get what it's worth of.. I think half the Lenovos in India are sold in IBM offices itself because of the legal obligation they have as part of contract signed at the time of sselling Thinkpad to Lenovo..

I don't know how people tolerate junk.. Thinkpad was a brand and Lenovo has turned that into another Chinese junk..

Hate to say - Junk sells and Chinese sweatshops are running because of all the junk being in demand..

Have used Thinkpads and Lenovos for official work and had Thinkpad T-40 for a while with no issues and as soon as Lenovo came into play and I had to switched over to it as part of company wide change and soon the crashing tale started with the laptop crashing because of hardware issues every few months.. At the end, company decided to switch over to Dell and my experience with them is pretty good..

I think IBM should stop promoting Lenovo as I think half the lenovos in India are sold in IBM offices itself because of the legal obligation they have as part of contract when they sold Thinkpad to Lenovo..

:rofl: lenovo is number 2 PC seller worldwide.

im surprised indians can afford a lenovo.

india laughing at china is like an african laughing at some poor people in china.
you cant make this sh*t up.

The Indians here love to say that they are "boycotting" Chinese goods, however the Indian trade deficit to China continues to increase every day.

indians can only afford chinese goods, we produce low cost, high quality goods.
indians are faaaaaaar too poor to afford expensive european goods.

indian poverty levels are worse than most sub-saharan african countries.

indians can only afford chinese goods, we produce low cost, high quality goods.
indians are faaaaaaar too poor to afford expensive european goods.

indian poverty levels are worse than most sub-saharan african countries.

we produce low cost, high quality goods for the rest of the world. we ship our reject and defect goods to India. That's because that's what they deserve.

Back
Top Bottom