What's new

Lee Kuan Yew

looks like foreigners really have hard time coming to terms with our country's HUGE diversity where people from so many different race, culture, tribes and religion who speak more than thousand different languages can live together in harmony
Man I am really very proud of my country's diversity

But he was correct to point out that India was created by the British as an artificial country. India is a geographic expression, not a country in the traditional sense. It only become a country because of the victory of the British over rival Europeans in India.

No it is not, India has done it for 65 years on the basis of "Secularism" and "Unity in Diversity". Any thing on top of it like economic development and empowerment of society can be built easily.

India has the world's largest population under poverty and famine and other disasters that would attract world press are a norm in India. So India is more of a failed state than many African countries.

India has the world's largest population under poverty and famine and other disasters that would attract world press are a norm in India. So India is more of a failed state than many African countries.

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

India is going to be the growth engine in about a decade and I am going by the predictions, By that time Chinese economy will be saturated. You people will watch us grow just like USA is doing right now.

Hi Taiwanese I heard with out USA you country will be over run by Chinese, worry about your self and your country who are right at the mouth of resource hungry China.

Chinese are trying to maintain their growth rate by venturing in Africa and other third world countries but you will not succeed there, Off late Africa is getting radicalized with Al qaeda and is doing lot of harm to your investments in Africa. In short Chinese growth dreams will be over with the increase of Chinese wages,GDP you people are also getting older and so no cheap work force.
India on the other hand has done so much for uplifting poor in the last decade and the percentage of poor in India are decreasing, we do it the saner way not the insane ways of CCP.

A failed state has lot of meanings going by human rights record,force full accusation of lands from the poor (insane ways of cutting water supply, electricity, beating etc...), No freedom of spech, no religious freedom I can safely say China has failed in these categories and there is no hope for Chinese as long as CCP exists, But if CCP is removed who knows what happens to China :whistle:

Be in your own delusions when you wake up in less than a decade you can listen to India's growth stories.

:wave: I have no time to troll right now.

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

India is going to be the growth engine in about a decade and I am going by the predictions, By that time Chinese economy will be saturated. You people will watch us grow just like USA is doing right now.

Hi Taiwanese I heard with out USA you country will be over run by Chinese, worry about your self and your country who are right at the mouth of resource hungry China.

Chinese are trying to maintain their growth rate by venturing in Africa and other third world countries but you will not succeed there, Off late Africa is getting radicalized with Al qaeda and is doing lot of harm to your investments in Africa. In short Chinese growth dreams will be over with the increase of Chinese wages,GDP you people are also getting older and so no cheap work force.
India on the other hand has done so much for uplifting poor in the last decade and the percentage of poor in India are decreasing, we do it the saner way not the insane ways of CCP.

A failed state has lot of meanings going by human rights record,force full accusation of lands from the poor (insane ways of cutting water supply, electricity, beating etc...), No freedom of spech, no religious freedom I can safely say China has failed in these categories and there is no hope for Chinese as long as CCP exists, But if CCP is removed who knows what happens to China :whistle:

Be in your own delusions when you wake up in less than a decade you can listen to India's growth stories.

:wave: I have no time to troll right now.

Until India have a higher rate of growth than China, any prediction of "India over take China in ### years" is premature. Its too early to make that prediction. And as what Mr Lee says, India is a country put together by British imperialism. Its actually 32 countries, each with its own language, culture and customs. India also has way too many voices that will hinder its growth. I believe that more Indians will be moved out of poverty. But the likelihood that it would become advanced like North East Asian economic powerhouse are none existent.

Until India have a higher rate of growth than China, any prediction of "India over take China in ### years" is premature. Its too early to make that prediction. And as what Mr Lee says, India is a country put together by British imperialism. Its actually 32 countries, each with its own language, culture and customs. India also has way too many voices that will hinder its growth. I believe that more Indians will be moved out of poverty. But the likelihood that it would become advanced like North East Asian economic powerhouse are none existent.

USA is also a multi ethnic society when it is formed and continuous to do so with immigrations from all over the world does that mean USA is not a power house??

This Singaporean guy failed in this logic. He also lack the historic knowledge about India.

@Srinivas why make comments like "insane ways of CCP", i request you not to make this a bashing thread.

China has done some great developments and remember in many fields we try to emulate them which means they have been successful. Let us not give the Idea that we Indians are jealous of Chinese success, all we want to do is emulate their success.

Request you to delete that comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Srinivas why make comments like "insane ways of CCP", i request you not to make this a bashing thread.

China has done some great developments and remember in many fields we try to emulate them which means they have been successful. Let us not give the Idea that we Indians are jealous of Chinese success, all we want to do is emulate their success.

Bashing the Chinese Government is fine, just not the Chinese people.

Lee says: “India is not a real country. Instead it is thirty-two separate nations that happen to be arrayed along the British rail line.”

Could agree with "was", "is" is a bit more difficult.

I believe that more Indians will be moved out of poverty. But the likelihood that it would become advanced like North East Asian economic powerhouse are none existent.

You may well be right in your conclusion but you may equally be wrong too. It still is not a settled thing.

This Singaporean guy failed in this logic. He also lack the historic knowledge about India.

Lee Kuan Yew is a pretty smart chap. Doesn't mean he is always right but you can't really argue with how it look for an outsider looking at India regardless of how it looks for us.

Mate Chinese growth story is an amazing one I agree with you but there are loop holes in that. A development without freedom and oppression is not worth it.

For every new road constructed or a new city planned there are thousands of common people tears associated with it. There are instances where when people reject to give their land to the authorities and they were forcefully evacuated.

i did not understand it.I think we can understand most of the languages in north india or most of the north india is hindi spoken.
so how its 32 countries with different languages?In past rulers fought against islamic invaders not only particular state.
I accept it in case of south india but not in north.

Lee Kuan Yew is a pretty smart chap. Doesn't mean he is always right but you can't really argue with how it look for an outsider looking at India regardless of how it looks for us.

Yes but right now we are discussing about the article and diagnosing it, On the other hand he agrees USA is a power house (lot of similarities with India, multiethnic and diverse culture and it will remain so with immigrations continuing and will so in future).
But fails to apply the same logic to India.

Mate Chinese growth story is an amazing one I agree with you but there are loop holes in that. A development without freedom and oppression is not worth it.

For every new road constructed or a new city planned there are thousands of common people tears associated with it. There are instances where when people reject to give their land to the authorities and they were forcefully evacuated.

Every development has such stories associated, when we are not located there how can we judge? Regarding loop holes even our development is called a skewed one isn't it. I think that we should not be judgemental.

USA is also a multi ethnic society when it is formed and continuous to do so with immigrations from all over the world does that mean USA is not a power house??

He made a straight forward analysis of India. Just because your disagreement with the ground reality doesn't mean that fail with his logic. US has immigrants from different country. But the parent country of US is Britain, same as India. So English is the language that unite Americans, same as English is the language that unite India. So Britain created US, Britain also created India. Prior to British, America consisted of various Indians tribes. India was consist of various Indian kingdoms.

The one difference between America and India is that most of Americans come from some where in the last 200+ years. Most of Indians have ancestors lived in the same state before the British came. So the relationships between the Indian states if more similar to European countries than American states.

Yes but right now we are discussing about the article and diagnosing it, On the other hand he agrees USA is a power house (lot of similarities with India, multiethnic and diverse culture and it will remain so with immigrations continuing and will so in future).
But fails to apply the same logic to India.

That is because India is not the U.S. The U.S. was not really a multi ethnic culture when it became as developed as it did. We are very different & therefore the outsider is justified in raising doubts. Take the last 5 years of the UPA as an example. Money was squandered left right & center (not talking about the scandals) by simply throwing away money for some silly programs which could have given us a much better RoI if it had been used wisely. This is done under political as well as regional pressure, therefore little use in blaming foreigners when they see as being incapable. Where Lee Kuan Yew is probably wrong is that India will grow inspite of the government, not necessarily because of it. That is something that neither he nor the Chinese who are obsessed with control can understand.

Back
Top Bottom