Lal Shahbaz Urs: A transcendental madness

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Lal Shahbaz Urs: A transcendental madness

1112454-Pic-1464530635.jpg

Known for its religious tolerance, Sindh welcomes thousands of devotees during Lal Shahbaz Urs – often called as Mela – who come to pay homage to the great Sufi saint of his times.

SEHWAN: The 764th Urs of Lal Shahbaz Qalandar was observed in Sehwan from May 26 to 28 with religious zeal and spiritual fervor.

Known for its religious tolerance, Sindh welcomes thousands of devotees during Lal Shahbaz Urs – the death anniversary celebrations – who come to pay homage to the great Sufi saint of his times.

Devotees from far and wide visit the Lal’s land and experience a transcendental feeling that brings them closer to god and divine spirits – the state associated with malangs.

Dhamal – the dance on drum beats – is the major feature of the festival where every devotee tries to forget his own being, existence while dancing and going into a trance-like state.

For that matter, a legion of devotees bring ‘dhols’ to the Urs to help believers reach the pinnacle of spirituality.

However, Lal’s Mela is not only about dance and dhamal. Scores of Shia believers throng the vicinity of the shrine and present their pursa — meaning condolences — in the form of chest-beating and self flagellation.

The beauty? Every devotee holds the diversity associated with Lal Shahbaz’s shrine in high regard, allowing everyone to celebrate or observe Urs in their own, distinct way.

Experience Laal’s Mela through these pictures:

pic26-1.jpg

Jameel Shah Khaak-e-Ali is from Multan. He has been attending the Laal’s Urs for 28 years now and loves to call himself a Faqeer.

On one hand, he carries a horn that is associated with Laal Shahbaz, whereas on other hand he has a bowl called ‘Kaasa’.

“This horn says ‘Mast Qalandar’ or ‘Ali Haider’ when played. This ‘Kasa’ is symbolic of Imam Hasan’s last meal when he was poisoned by his enemies. I carry these essentials because I am slave of Ali,” Shah says.

“I am not here for having wealth or any other demand. I have been blessed by Laal Saeen so much that I don’t need money at all. I like to stay a Laal’s faqir because this beggary suits me.”

Pic20.jpg

Three Malangs from Shah Jamal, Lahore came to pay their respect to Lal Shahbaz.

During their one week stay, these devotees will be camping near the shrine and will play dhool to make other devotees dance on its beat.

Pic1.jpg

Devotees carrying Lal’s chador are entering the shrine. The chador is prepared by the believers with religious zeal and is then presented for the tomb of the Sufi saint.

Pic17.jpg

A devotee is seen in a trance-like state while doing dhamal on drum beats played.

Pic14.jpg

An outside view of the tomb where Lal Shahbqaz Qalandar is buried.

Pic15-1.jpg

updated.jpg

A dholi – drummer – at the shrine.

Pic43.jpg

A Malang playing the horn.

pic29.jpg

A crippled person is seen making his way towards the shrine to pay respect to Lal Shahbaz Qalandar.

Pic13.jpg

A devotee chants slogan during the Urs celebration inside Lal Shahbaz’s shrine.

pic40.jpg

Devotees raise red flags in remembrance of Lal Shahbaz Qalandar while entering the shrine’s premises.

pic36.jpg

A devotee chants slogan in celebration of Lal’s Urs

Absolutely love it :)

I think there is a recently aired HUM TV drama of actor humayun saeed in which he visits this shrine in drama.

Spirituality is an ever surprising leap of love. It is usually said to visit a shrine if you find peace in your heart over there. The atmosphere softens nerves and relaxes the inner.

Seeing hordes and hordes of people flocking to this shrine, many must come for peace, many to get their prayers accepted by giving waseela of lal shahbaz qalandar, others drooling in ishq of lal shahbaz qalandar, and then again for many this will be a good chance to do business and make money.

Qawali and dhol makes the heart beat goes faster and faster. This should be a good moment to align heart with a name of God or even word Allah and sit in meditation posture and start reciting and meditating. Though dhol can make a body move, qawali immerses a person deep into love when a person concentrates on its wordings. Both dhol and qawali are spiritual entities.

Presenting garlands or flowers (sehras) is an act of respect and ishq. Its like taking cake or pizza when we go visit someone. Most people present lunger also, degs(cauldrons) and degs of rice and curry. Millions will get fed here for free.

Still lucky are those who see even the unseen with their inner eyes, luckiest being the ones who see the unseen with their open eyes.

and then i wonder if so much celebration is going on, on Earth, maybe bigger celebrations will be going on in the skies.

Indian movie "Dhanak" is being released near Urs Mubarak Of Lal Shahbaz Qalandar and one of its songs is "Dam a Dam Mast Qalandar"

Consider this as a the halal version of sex drugs rock and roll!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom