What's new

Krylov centre awaits order to develop aircraft carrier from India

ashok321

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
http://in.rbth.com/economics/defenc...to-develop-aircraft-carrier-from-india_629109

2_img112916233502.jpg

The Krylov State Research Centre is expecting to receive an order for development of a new aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy, Yuri Eremin, Head of Department for development of the military-technical cooperation centre told Tass at the "Army 2016" forum.

Russia offers nuclear aircraft carrier to India

He said the company had developed a conceptual design of the 23000E "Storm" aircraft carrier. The ship’s displacement would be around 95 thousand tons; the aviation group will comprise 65 aircraft. The power plant could be nuclear. Additionally, two parachute ejector mechanisms are provided on the ship.

"India and China act as possible foreign partners on this ship. Primarily it is India and we hope that they will order their third aircraft carrier from us, and there are certain grounds for that," said Eremin.

He said experts at the Krylov Centre held a presentation of the "Storm" for the Indian Navy’s Commanders in India.

"The Indian customers certainly have an interest in it," said Eremin.

If the project is approved, the Neva Design Bureau is likely to be involved in the project, Eremin said.

The Neva Design Bureau is already working with India for servicing of the "Vikramaditya" aircraft carrier (the former "Admiral Gorshkov") and to build the "Vikrant" aircraft carrier.

It was reported earlier that work on the new aircraft carrier, named "Vishal", started in India in 2012. It is expected that its displacement will be 65 thousand tons (compared to 40 thousand tons in "Vikrant"). The ship can be fitted with a nuclear power plant.

India had sent requests to USA, UK, France, Italy and Russia for help in certain things to build our nuclear powered AC. While USA was the first to come up with a lot of pomp and show , nothing much has happened.

Italy is one of our main partner in INS Vikrant project , but recent problems mean , they aren't going to get a pie.

UK ( BAE) has yet not responded in detail , but its expected that once a leader in building ACs, wont get it through this time.

DCNS and Russia are the other two who other that USA have responded positively , without much PR. French side is said to be in a preferable position here , as discussed earlier , w.r.t. Rafale deal....

But personally I feel the need for more powerful and compact Nuke Reactors will eventually mean Russia bagging both Aircraft Carrier and SSN project " CONSULTANCY ".

This topic actually deserves a big thanks to @hellfire . Hellfire may be you can open a thread and start a dedicated discussion

Here are my posts on this topics
1. My conversation (open not pm) with hellfire
upload_2016-9-13_20-45-41.png

and recently i wrote it here

upload_2016-9-13_20-46-19.png

https://defence.pk/threads/now-indi...mega-defence-deals.448124/page-2#post-8662456

The original plan is for 95000T as per documents below. But now it seems some tonnage may be decreased to 85K and may see a further refined version at 65-85T range .

23000_ARMIY-2015_12.JPG

23000E_MVMS-2015_02.jpg

basic translation instead of fossil fuel its N propulsion

upload_2016-9-13_21-15-38.png

Talks are integrating a naval version of S500 or a S400 with mix elements of S500.

Some pics
23000E_MVMS-2015_01.jpg

23000_ARMIY-2015_11.jpg

23000_ARMIY-2015_07.JPG

AV_150210_01.jpg

Last edited:
23000_ARMIY-2015_03.JPG

23000_MVMS-2015_01.JPG

23000_ARMIY-2015_10.JPG

23000_ARMIY-2015_01.JPG

attachment.php

+++
Personally i dont see the ACC being built in Russia. If its in Indiam shipyard and if Indian MOD agrees with Naval Design Bureau agreeing to such a project then may be.. But then again hybrid catobar+stobar and aircraft choice of Mig 29K+FGFA -N is a big issue. India is clear that IN will have a aircraft common with IAF and only one atm is Mig29K and Rafale M. and Catobar certified is Rafale-M only.

Interesting times ahead.

@MilSpec @Abingdonboy @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ @hellfire @anant_s @Ankit Kumar 002 @Armani @Vergennes @Taygibay @[Bregs] @hellfire @others

This topic actually deserves a big thanks to @hellfire . Hellfire may be you can open a thread and start a dedicated discussion

View attachment 334051

View attachment 334052

https://defence.pk/threads/now-indi...mega-defence-deals.448124/page-2#post-8662456

The named Russian Agency did not offer the AC alone ,a 9500 Ton Air Defence Destroyer and a light coastal Anti Submarine Warfare Corvette were the other two.

Its to be noted that , they are doing it for the Russian Navy too , and Indian Navy too have outlined their requirements for the three.

23000_ARMIY-2015_03.JPG

23000_MVMS-2015_01.JPG

23000_ARMIY-2015_10.JPG

23000_ARMIY-2015_01.JPG

attachment.php

+++
Personally i dont see the ACC being built in Russia. If its in Indiam shipyard and if Indian MOD agrees with Naval Design Bureau agreeing to such a project then may be.. But then again hybrid catobar+stobar and aircraft choice of Mig 29K+FGFA -N is a big issue. India is clear that IN will have a aircraft common with IAF and only one atm is Mig29K and Rafale M. and Catobar certified is Rafale-M only.

Interesting times ahead.

@MilSpec @Abingdonboy @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ @hellfire @anant_s @Ankit Kumar 002 @Armani @Vergennes @Taygibay @[Bregs] @hellfire @others

Why do I see a ski jump despite being nuclear?

View attachment 334051

View attachment 334052

The original plan is for 95000T as per documents below. But now it seems some tonnage may be decreased to 85K and may see a further refined version at 65-85T range .

23000_ARMIY-2015_12.JPG

23000E_MVMS-2015_02.jpg

basic translation

View attachment 334062

Talks are integrating a naval version of S500 or a S400 with mix elements of S500.

Some pics
23000E_MVMS-2015_01.jpg

23000_ARMIY-2015_11.jpg

23000_ARMIY-2015_07.JPG

AV_150210_01.jpg

Its a good concept for Russia but it has nothing which would give us significant advantage over Chinese ac nor there is assurance that the design itself won't fall into Chinese hands(for their future carrier).One of the biggest disadvantage of Russian weapon system is that they are always available for Chinese as well, which is one reason we are leaning towards western system or more specifically american ones. Even half capable of american system far outmatches anything Chinese can throw at us. I have heard that Russian exported systems are usually 33% less capable than originals .
Anyway i would still prefer american steam catobar than this half cat half stobar .
Best option would be Russian:wub:/Indian reactor + american emal +rafale/f35 + e2 hawkeye.
It's better than Russian offer cause carrier are to remain for at least 50 years and cat+stobar certainly cannot keep up with future challenge. Vishal is for true Indian blue navy, and if we want any carrier immediately we should go for twin Vikrant( a little larger:-)). Better to take full than half measure8-).

@PARIKRAMA I suggest let this be the main thread by itself. You can collate the data here. You have already put in a lot of effort on this.

Waiting to read more :-)

Going with hybrid design will be the best bet, just in case Catapult doesn't work we can go for the sky jump, it will be energy efficient. But still acquiring a good catapult system will be a challenge.

23000_ARMIY-2015_03.JPG

23000_MVMS-2015_01.JPG

23000_ARMIY-2015_10.JPG

23000_ARMIY-2015_01.JPG

attachment.php

+++

Interesting times ahead.

For argument sake - which Indian Shipyard is capable builting this .i.e having the drydock space? Also don't u think the Mig29K can be CATOBAR certified too?

For argument sake - which Indian Shipyard is capable builting this .i.e having the drydock space? Also don't u think the Mig29K can be CATOBAR certified too?
I think if IN goes with the Russian design then there is no need for certifying Mig-29K for CATOBAR operations, it can be used on sky-jump. The hybrid design will make Mig-29K the obvious choice, plus the IN will go for Rafale or F35 as the EMALs tech might be acquired from USA.

If the USA EMAL tech is expensive and just in case we change our source, then I think Rafale will be the obvious choice.

I think if IN goes with the Russian design then there is no need for certifying Mig-29K for CATOBAR operations, it can be used on sky-jump. The hybrid design will make Mig-29K the obvious choice, plus the IN will go for Rafale or F35 as the EMALs tech might be acquired from USA.

If the USA EMAL tech is expensive and just in case we change our source, then I think Rafale will be the obvious choice.
Also trying to understand the role of the Rafale in the IN ? why have it?

http://in.rbth.com/economics/defenc...to-develop-aircraft-carrier-from-india_629109

2_img112916233502.jpg

The Krylov State Research Centre is expecting to receive an order for development of a new aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy, Yuri Eremin, Head of Department for development of the military-technical cooperation centre told Tass at the "Army 2016" forum.

Russia offers nuclear aircraft carrier to India

He said the company had developed a conceptual design of the 23000E "Storm" aircraft carrier. The ship’s displacement would be around 95 thousand tons; the aviation group will comprise 65 aircraft. The power plant could be nuclear. Additionally, two parachute ejector mechanisms are provided on the ship.

"India and China act as possible foreign partners on this ship. Primarily it is India and we hope that they will order their third aircraft carrier from us, and there are certain grounds for that," said Eremin.

He said experts at the Krylov Centre held a presentation of the "Storm" for the Indian Navy’s Commanders in India.

"The Indian customers certainly have an interest in it," said Eremin.

If the project is approved, the Neva Design Bureau is likely to be involved in the project, Eremin said.

The Neva Design Bureau is already working with India for servicing of the "Vikramaditya" aircraft carrier (the former "Admiral Gorshkov") and to build the "Vikrant" aircraft carrier.

It was reported earlier that work on the new aircraft carrier, named "Vishal", started in India in 2012. It is expected that its displacement will be 65 thousand tons (compared to 40 thousand tons in "Vikrant"). The ship can be fitted with a nuclear power plant.

Based on the Gorshkov experience why deal with the Russians ?

Back
Top Bottom