What's new

Kerry-Lugar Bill or an attempt to further pressurize Pakistan

Hi,

I see that most people here are opposed to the bill. Can anyone post in simplifled form the conditions which are detrimental to Pakistan please.

So far I have come across one simplified version where the conditions does not look like detrimental to pakistan but only to international terrorism. The same is posted below. But all are welcome to provide any other alternative explanation. I have a open mind.

Kerry-Lugar Bill a straitjacket to straiten insane Pakistan?
Fri, Oct 2 03:35 PM

Islamabad, Oct. 2 (ANI): The recently approved Kerry-Lugar Bill, which will provide Pakistan economic aid worth 1.5 billion dollars per year for the next five years, is a 'straitjacket', as it has many restrictions attached to it, The Nation opines.

According to the paper, a straitjacket is a garment of strong material used to bind the body, closely restraining the movements of a violent, usually insane, person who could harm himself or others.

The paper says that the Kerry-Lugar Bill straitjacket is designed to prevent the country from 'harming itself or others'.

The US aid will flow 'only' when the Pakistan complies with following restrictions:

# Pakistani military or its intelligence agency cease support to terrorist groups that has conducted attacks against the US or its coalition forces in Afghanistan or the people of neighbouring countries.

# Pakistan prevents Al-Qaeda, Taliban, Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Muhammad from operating in its territory of Pakistan, including cross-border raids into neighbouring countries.

# Pakistan dismantled terrorist camps in FATA, and is dismantling terrorist bases in other parts of the country including Quetta and Muridke.

# Pakistan strengthens counter-terrorist and anti-money laundering laws.

# Pakistani security forces do not materially and substantially subvert the political or judicial processes of the country.

# Pakistan continues to cooperate with the United States in an effort to dismantle supplier networks relating to the acquisition of nuclear weapon related materials, providing direct access to Pakistani nationals (e.g. A Q Khan) associated with such networks.

Haqqani says Kerry-Lugar Bill doesn't have nuclear restriction
Fri, Oct 2 02:05 PM

Washington, Oct. 2 (ANI): Pakistan's envoy to the US, Hussain Haqqani, has said the Kerry-Lugar Bill has no provision to restrict Islamabad's nuclear programme.

However, he added, that the bill prevents Pakistan from being part of any outward proliferation.

"The US assistance under Kerry-Lugar Bill represents Washington's resolve to engage with Pakistan over a long-term. I think it (the aid bill) shows US commitment and that it is not going to cut and run," Dawn quoted Haqqani, as saying.

He warned that many conditions attached with the bill may reflect lack of trust.Too much conditionality is never good, because it reflects suspicion. Once we have built the relationship of trust that we're seeking to build between the United States and Pakistan, many of these concerns on both sides will go away," Haqqani said.

"It's a bit like nurturing a relationship which in the past has been transactional and has never been nurtured in this manner," he added.

Pakistan is expected to receive 1.5 billion dollars every year under the Kerry Lugar Bill. (ANI)

Hope US directly observe spending in Pakistan. Plus run and approve the projects within Pakistan. Otherwise our minister motorcade will be more modern and equipped with latest cars and new bungalow in europe.

I don't know why Haqqani and indians are so eager to slip it down our throat.
Haqqani is an American national, he has never benifited Pakistan. His ambassadorship it self is unfair and he proved it right.
I very much hope that it will be presented in national assembly by the democratic govt. or otherwise supreme court should take suo moto notice of this shame.

Hi,

I see that most people here are opposed to the bill. Can anyone post in simplifled form the conditions which are detrimental to Pakistan please.

So far I have come across one simplified version where the conditions does not look like detrimental to pakistan but only to international terrorism. The same is posted below. But all are welcome to provide any other alternative explanation. I have a open mind.

Kerry-Lugar Bill a straitjacket to straiten insane Pakistan?
Fri, Oct 2 03:35 PM

Islamabad, Oct. 2 (ANI): The recently approved Kerry-Lugar Bill, which will provide Pakistan economic aid worth 1.5 billion dollars per year for the next five years, is a 'straitjacket', as it has many restrictions attached to it, The Nation opines.

According to the paper, a straitjacket is a garment of strong material used to bind the body, closely restraining the movements of a violent, usually insane, person who could harm himself or others.

The paper says that the Kerry-Lugar Bill straitjacket is designed to prevent the country from 'harming itself or others'.

The US aid will flow 'only' when the Pakistan complies with following restrictions:

# Pakistani military or its intelligence agency cease support to terrorist groups that has conducted attacks against the US or its coalition forces in Afghanistan or the people of neighbouring countries.

# Pakistan prevents Al-Qaeda, Taliban, Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Muhammad from operating in its territory of Pakistan, including cross-border raids into neighbouring countries.

# Pakistan dismantled terrorist camps in FATA, and is dismantling terrorist bases in other parts of the country including Quetta and Muridke.

# Pakistan strengthens counter-terrorist and anti-money laundering laws.

# Pakistani security forces do not materially and substantially subvert the political or judicial processes of the country.

# Pakistan continues to cooperate with the United States in an effort to dismantle supplier networks relating to the acquisition of nuclear weapon related materials, providing direct access to Pakistani nationals (e.g. A Q Khan) associated with such networks.

How come no one is answering Hembo's question?

How is this bill detrimental to Pakistan???? please explain.

As a US citizen and taxpayer about $15.00 comes out of my taxes for this aid. Its not much but at least it is something that I have to pay for.

As a US citizen and taxpayer about $15.00 comes out of my taxes for this aid. Its not much but at least it is something that I have to pay for.

Then don't pay and make sure your government does not give US tax payers money to some one who isnt even thankful in the 1st place. Make sure your government isnt using tax payers money to serve its own agenda on a foreign soil.

Then don't pay and make sure your government does not give US tax payers money to some one who isnt even thankful in the 1st place. Make sure your government isnt using tax payers money to serve its own agenda on a foreign soil.
oh and ask your government to return back to its home soil and stop interfering in other countries.You can't have a cake and eat it too.To hell with US aid.They can shove it up their ***.

Kindly review the attached conditional clauses of KLB, those clauses have been posted earlier in this thread, review those, i hope you'll get your answer.
The Kerry-Lugar Bill: details and conditions

Kindly review the attached conditional clauses of KLB, those clauses have been posted earlier in this thread, review those, i hope you'll get your answer.
The Kerry-Lugar Bill: details and conditions

It is very much obvious that Pakistan is economically weak and we need aid to strengthen our declining economy. Kerry Lugar bill is a best source of oxygen for our fragile economy. It is great achievement by president Zardari.

On the other hand new wave of anti-American sentiment in Pakistan has slowed the arrival of hundreds of U.S. civilian and military officials charged with implementing assistance programs,
undermined cooperation in the fight against al-Qaeda and the Taliban, and put American lives at risk, according to officials from both countries.”

Those who have leaked the story have deliberately chosen to do so at a time when the Friends of Democratic Pakistan (FoDP) summit is going on.

Stories like these have been leaked by people who think they can harm President Asif Ali Zardari and Ambassador Husain Haqqani. However,what they fail to understand is that President Zardari and Ambassador Haqqani represent Pakistan and that in spreading such stories they are hurting Pakistan.

The international community is on the side of Pakistan and Pakistanis and wants to help them. We need trade, aid and assistance from our allies like the United States. The Kerry-Lugar bill which was just passed has increased American aid to Pakistan to $1.5 billion every year for the next five years. This is time to strengthen Pakistan’s relations with the United States and not to attack the relationship.

Kerry-Lugar bill is a blunder.
We cannot buy weapons.
We have to involve US in our nuclear programs...........means we r destroying ourselves.

Shame to Mr Asif Zardari.........He will destroy us completely.........He is proving himself more pathatic then Mushraf...........He is making us baggar

f97419b329a92eddd57fc3ed2e1435f3.jpg

Kerry-Lugar bill is a blunder.
We cannot buy weapons.
We have to involve US in our nuclear programs...........means we r destroying ourselves.

Shame to Mr Asif Zardari.........He will destroy us completely.........He is proving himself more pathatic then Mushraf...........He is making us baggar

f97419b329a92eddd57fc3ed2e1435f3.jpg
I like the Photo.

The limits of shamelessness have been crossed.

We should tell Mr.Obama that "Take the bill , fold it nicely and shove it up ur ***"

The correct definition of the Kerry-Lugaar Bill would be

" Yes i am willing to sacrifice my respect and honor for a few bucks"

Last edited:
A true perspective on Kerry-Lugar Bill

Monday, October 05, 2009

By Malik Muhammad Ashraf

The passage of the Kerry-Lugar Bill by the United States legislature approving $1.5 billion assistance to Pakistan per year over the next five years has evinced mixed reaction from the opinion making circles in Pakistan. While the detractors of the PPP government take advantage of the conditionalities which are part of the bill, the supporters of the government describe it as a remarkable achievement of President Asif Ali Zardari’s US visit. As the custom goes, it is the pinch that requires to be diagnosed and put to proper perspective to clear the mind of the common man who is hardly concerned about the technicalities of the bill. In view of the importance of this development which undoubtedly is going to have far reaching impact on our ability to cope with the challenges that we face as well as the prospects of peace in our region, I honestly feel tempted to share my thoughts on the issue in the backdrop of my diplomatic experience and long association with the government, with the sole purpose of helping the people to have an objective, unbiased and fair appraisal of this piece of legislation.

It is imperative to know some of the basic and standard ingredients of any international agreement, bilateral or multilateral economic assistance arrangement which are regarded as the touchstone to evaluate them. The first criterion is that any agreement or understanding must protect the interests of the donors and the recipients. The second cardinal principle is that a proper monitoring apparatus is put in place to monitor the implementation of the agreement. In case of economic and other assistance it is ensured that the utilization of the assistance or aid should be made only for those purposes for which it has been provided.

Both the United States and Pakistan have an abiding interest in eliminating terrorism. Rather it is Pakistan who needs to get rid of this problem more than anybody else. It is also a fact that Pakistan neither has the resources nor the strength to do it alone and badly needs foreign assistance both military and economic to surmount the challenges. It is also a sordid reality that Pakistan has no other choice than to ask the US to help it in taking the war on terror to its logical end and also fixing the economic maladies that threaten to push the country into the realm of an economic nightmare.

The passage of the Kerry-Lugar Bill authorizing the release of funds to Pakistan represents a triumph for Pakistan’s persistent view that the US needed to revisit the nature of its relations with Pakistan and that the US needed to “do more” rather than putting pressure on Pakistan to “do more”.

The US lawmakers, while approving the public money to Pakistan and holding the US administration accountable to the Congress and the Senate for utilization of this money has put monitoring mechanism in the Bill. In case of assistance given to foreign countries, the US administration is invariably under obligation to render certification to the Congressional committees to the effect that the aid is being utilized for the declared purposes. Monitoring arrangement is thus inevitably an integral part of such aid packages. It is ridiculous to think that any country or for that matter any international lending or donor agency would give money to any country without the existence of the required monitoring paraphernalia.

If we look at the conditionalities closely, it would transpire that they are not in conflict with the declared objectives of Pakistan with regard to fighting terrorism. The conditionalities actually reiterate what Pakistan is already doing on war against terror and reflect unanimity of views of all political parties of the country.

There is no denying the fact that Pakistan alone cannot deal with the phenomenon of terrorism. It badly needs cooperation of Afghanistan and India. The inclusion of India, in fact, will help Pakistan in bringing into limelight the Indian involvement with the elements engaged in terrorist activities in our tribal region and Balochistan. We should take it as a blessing in disguise.

The bill has not sprung up suddenly. Our leaders have been constantly engaged with the US leaders and discussing different aspects of the war on terror and the steps Pakistan felt were necessary for the US to take. The outcome is, therefore, a result of very intensive deliberations over a period of one year, with inputs from every quarter that mattered. The decisive action against Swat militants and terrorist elements in Waziristan is an irrefutable evidence of this collective thought process. To insinuate that some stakeholders may not have been on board with regard to the conditionalities incorporated in the Bill sounds strange.

There is nothing against our interests in the announced package and all the conditionalities reflect positive approach to the issues geared to promote mutual interests. Those who are trying to read too much between the lines need to revisit their thinking in the light of the ground realities and give credit where it lies.

A few words for the consideration of the opponents of the Bill in Pakistan to clear the mystery shrouding the controversy. Suppose the US Secretary of State does not certify the fulfilment of the conditions by Pakistan. That means Pakistan has reneged from its commitment to the nation and the world at large to fight the war against terror, abetted and supported the terrorists that are killing innocent people of Pakistan, helped proliferation of deadly weapons and its security forces have subverted the democratic institutions of the country. Can any sane person visualize or support such a scenario? Who can differ that combating all these challenges have the collective will and support of the people of Pakistan. This means that the conditionalities attached to the bill, in fact, support the objectives and aspirations of the people of Pakistan.

Looking from another angle, let us suppose we reject the bill and refuse to accept the aid as its conditionalities tend to accept “servitude” of the United States. Would Pakistan take a U turn and begin supporting the terrorists and the proliferators. Certainly not. Opposition for the sake of opposition is surely not the practice by the present elected representatives of the people. They have a stake in the development, prosperity and progress of the people of Pakistan. Aid is certainly required to fulfil these aspirations as the rhetoric of democracy alone cannot satisfy the people who have sent their representatives to Islamabad to work for short and long term objectives of making life easier for the common man. It is thus imperative that the KLB is accepted by the Pakistan government and supported by all those who want the people of Pakistan to prosper.

The writer has held senior positions in the government and served in Pakistan’s Missions in Australia, Kenya and Germany

http://www.thenews.com.pk/print1.asp?id=201633