What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Kashmir is a part of India, i should not say this but seeing the excitement of many i have to say that if push comes to the shove India will take any possible and i mean anyyyyyyyyyy possible step to secure it. There is nothing anybody can do it. And Linkinpark has already provided the detailed analysis.

Look how much ur being hate in the Kashmir

image010.jpg

4321F988.jpg

Even childrens are burning 3 color flag

7c3c159c6f97cf9f06da47161bce-grande.jpg

That again shows the freedom of expression, they enjoy in India...I doubt it... you can burn a Pakistani flag in Pakistan.

thanks for your wisdom

no it doesnt...the poor economy is a global phenomenon --we werent exceptions. Though in our case, our decision to join the war on terrorism has had some blowback effects. We are situated in a tough geographical position and that puts us at peril for externalities of all kinds (not limited to the fact that we have natural disasters, and millions of refugees which help stagnate growth). Many other factors; ''extremism'' (in the Pakistani street) is not one of them though. From my view, people were more sympathetic to groups like taleban in 2003-2007 period than they are now. We are talking about now, and I see huge paradigm shift amongst even conservatives.

your mention of ''extremism'' has no merit because even in the more conservative areas such as in KP, a secular pro-democracy political party (as opposed to a religious party like MMA) was elected in 2008. That automatically negates your statement.

i'm not denying existance of intolerance and [religious motivated]extremism in Pakistan, but it exists in other countries as well (yours is no exception).

the issue of Kashmir is not a religious one; it's an existential one. It just so happens that Kashmir is a muslim majority region and much of the populace is against indian presence there. That is your own making, you artificially occupy land that has no affinity, loyalty or devotion to hindustan. That is clearly being exhibited via the ongoing protests (often which begin as a result of killings committed by your forces).......the future is the youth, and they are the ones being targetted

I dont enjoy seeing Kashmiri misfortune. But like i said, i love exposing hypocrites --especially those emanating from within your borders :)

totally irrelevant and poorly though out post, but nice try :tup:

The economic downfall as a result of joining WOT is a convinient excuse paddled by Pakistani politicians. Also Pakistan's economy is still floundering despite rest of the world moving steadily out of the recession so the global phenomenon is yet another excuse to hide behind.

One of the 1st COIN ops started during end of 2007 and Pakistan needed the IMF bailout 11 months later. Economy of a country, that too as large as Pakistan does not become so ill in a span of 1 year, unless the issues were pre existing. And its the result of favouring extremism till 2007 (if i take your comment on face value) that is visible today in terms of well entrenched terrorist support in heartlands of Pakistan.

Kashmir has simply become an excuse for Pakistan as the terrorists like LeT etc that used to be tools for promoting this insurgency in Kashmir earlier have become too large and strong for the Pakistani state to control completely now.

But even if I agree to what you say about getting pulled into WOT, there is a reason why Pakistan and not Iran or any other bordering states of Afghanistan got pulled into WOT with a threat of join us or face stone age. Something to ponder over. Isnt it?

And thanks for your expert comments on the level of my previous post. Neither needed nor relevant

AFP: No Ramadan respite as unrest rocks Indian Kashmir

SRINAGAR, India — The fasting month of Ramadan looks set to be one of curfews, protests and hardship for Muslims in Indian Kashmir, which is experiencing a wave of popular unrest directed against Indian rule.

For two months, violent demonstrations have rocked the troubled Himalayan region. Around 50 protesters and onlookers have been killed.

Each fatality has fuelled fresh anger, in what Kashmir's Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has acknowledged is a "cycle of violence".
The constant round of protests, strikes and curfews has all but shut down daily commerce in the mainly Muslim Kashmir Valley, hurting small traders and making shopping for basic provisions a major challenge.

With Ramadan starting Thursday, residents have been advised to stockpile essentials in preparation for a difficult month.
Muslim clerics in Kashmir have in the past used the Ramadan period to preach peace and reconciliation, but with emotions running high over the dozens of deaths of protesters, that message is likely to be muted.

"We have planned protests during Ramadan against Indian rule and the innocent killings," said Syed Ali Geelani, who heads a hardline faction of the region's main separatist alliance.

Geelani, who would like Indian Kashmir to accede to Pakistan, has also urged all Kashmiris to celebrate Pakistani independence day on August 14 and mark India's independence celebrations a day later as a "black day."

Kashmir is divided between nuclear-armed rivals India and Pakistan, which both claim the region in full and have fought two wars over their territorial dispute.

The last time large-scale, anti-India protests hit the region, in 2008, Geelani suspended protests ahead of Ramadan and was blamed by many activists for breaking the movement's momentum.

"The separatists have done the right thing by calling for protests during Ramadan," says Asif Ahmed, a shopkeeper. "This tempo should continue. We should not run out of steam this time."

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh sought to calm tensions by urging Kashmiris "to give peace a chance". He held out the possibility of greater autonomy and vowed to address rampant unemployment.

But his overtures were rejected by both hardline and moderate separatist groups, who want New Delhi to repeal tough emergency laws, pull troops out of civilian areas and release political prisoners.

"This is the month of peace, but here I think we will be spending it under the shadow of curfews and strikes," said Nabla Hafiz, a housewife. "Everyone is angry at the killings and the call for more protests will be heeded."

"We can't forget the killings. If we stop protesting, that will amount to forgiving Indians," said her husband, Hafizullah Bhat.
The impasse has made daily life extremely difficult for many Kashmiris, some of whom blame both sides.

"It is going to be a gloomy Ramadan. I have no money left," said Srinagar roadside vendor Mohammed Yusuf, who has been forced to borrow money to make ends meet.

"The shutdown calls only affect the poor like me," Yusuf said, urging separatists leaders to "rethink their strategy".

Moderate separatist leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, who is also chief cleric at Srinagar's main mosque, the Jamia Masjid, said Kashmiris would have to pull together.

"We must help each other. The rich should help the poor during Ramadan and those whose businesses have suffered," Mirwaiz told AFP. "I also appeal to Islamic countries to send aid to Kashmiris."

The authorities have closed the Jamia Masjid on six consecutive Fridays, and Farooq -- who has been under house arrest for much of the past two months -- said he would defy restrictions to deliver a Ramadan sermon at the mosque this Friday.

"The closing of the Jamia Masjid is an infringement of the Kashmiri peoples' basic right to religious practice," he said. "During the month of Ramadan, I will pray for an end to Indian repression and occupation."

According to the state finance ministry, curfews and shutdowns this year have resulted in economic losses amounting to 400 million dollars.

Kashmir is a part of India, i should not say this but seeing the excitement of many i have to say that if push comes to the shove India will take any possible and i mean anyyyyyyyyyy possible step to secure it. There is nothing anybody can do it. And Linkinpark has already provided the detailed analysis.
India can ill-afford to resort to genocide this time. The protests have already hit New Delhi, whatever India can do, the Kashmiris can top that!

You know what is interesting about this picture, out of the four soldiers displayed, we know one is sikh. What is the possibility of the remaining three soldiers as being a Muslim faith..... That is India which Pakistanies cannot anwser!!!! They assume all Soldiers of India being Hindu!!!!! I personally think the guy on the right is Muslim because he is light skinned!!!!:D:D

The people of Kashmir will have to face the reality of the "azadi" bubble. What they need is economic progress not "azadi". How about abolishing the Article 370 and inviting businesses to improve economics in Kashmir. Its the only way out. If the stomachs are full, no one will protest violently, as they will have something to lose.
We dont need to crush the dissent by force when we can buy it and silence it forever.

the only thing that Kashmiris have achieved by doing this for the last 20 years is stand in their own path of development. Same thing happened to Punjab in 80s when Punjab was developing at an extraordinary pace and that idiotic freedom movement started in Punjab. Sikhs also did the same things like burning the flag of India , taking up arms,protesting everyday in big cities etc. They continued to do so for 10 yrs and what did they achieve in the end -NO Fuc**** thing. Except that the development of Punjab was completely stalled and It has still not completely recovered from that setback
Two thing that Kashmir has to understand very clearly is-
1. If a state like India does not want to leave Kashmir , there is no way that Kashmiris can overcome the Indian Security officials. Their best possibility is a diplomatic solution.
2.Sooner or later kashmiris will realize is that their future lies with India coz India can provide the youth with good education and Jobs.(one of my ex-chemistry professor was a kashmiri and he was grateful for the education he had gotten at IITs which opened a door of endless possibilities for him. he told us he could easily have been one of these in stone pelting mobs but he choose not to and it changed his entire life.

And if Pakistan is really concerned about the development of Kashmir then it should pump money into the development of Kashmir and not to back some extremists who have no future.

India can ill-afford to resort to genocide this time. The protests have already hit New Delhi, whatever India can do, the Kashmiris can top that!

Tried and failed miserably many a time against us. :D

Well if the kashmiris want to continue this another generation is going down the path of destruction. Many may call it what they want but kashmir hamaara hai and rahega for eternity.

The emotions are raw and a healing touch is needed and most of all empathy. No country in the world can or will show tangible concern to the valley Kashmiris except their own countrymen. Right now they need empathy, NGOs, civil society, student unions hell even Bollywood and cricket stars should go to Leh and Srinagar to empathasize with the plight of the Kashmiris and the flood victims.
And govt. should realize the priority should first be justice, economic and political packages are all later.

There is no doubt that the current situation should have been avoided, but lets go back in time just two years and see what BBC was reporting. So if there is sincirety then there is no reason why we can't turn the clock on the current unfortunate situation.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Changing priorities

At a hip cafeteria in central Srinagar groups of young men and women sit around sipping cappuccinos and cafe lattes.

Background music is the Bee Gees and Bryan Adams, the dress code is jeans and T-shirts for men and traditional but elegant salwar kameez for women. There are very few headscarves.

It's a scene which would have been unthinkable in Indian-administered Kashmir a few years ago.

For almost two decades, the region has been in the grip of a violent insurgency by militants opposed to Indian rule and chants of "azaadi", or freedom, were the first words one heard on arrival.

Today, the word "azaadi" is still part of some people's lexicon, but with many young Kashmiris it comes out only after some probing.

'Last on the list'

"In our college, the most discussed issue is personal life. Students talk about their boyfriends and girlfriends, their love trouble," says Ibrahim Wani, a biochemistry student at Sri Pratap College.

"The number two topic of discussion is education, career, employment opportunities. Then we share our concern for the environment. The fight for Kashmir's freedom or where the separatist movement is headed is last on the list," he says.

A stroll through Srinagar University's walkways, shaded by centuries-old chinar (plane) trees, shows the shift in the priorities of the young in Kashmir.

The clamour here is for well-paying jobs, better infrastructure, women's rights and peace.

"India is doing very well economically. In the past few years, the country has progressed well. Since we are part of India, we too have a bright future," says commerce student Mudassar Hussain, who is 21.

A job fair was held on the campus recently and Hussain was among the 400 students who were offered places by various firms.

"The situation is much better in Kashmir now. The killings and blasts which characterised the 1990s and the first few years of this decade have reduced considerably," says Salfia, 22, who is studying to become a lawyer.

"In the far-flung rural areas, there are still large numbers of troops and the situation is sometimes grim, but in Srinagar we feel happy now," she says.

"We are fed up of the India-Pakistan stories. The youth is not interested in the movement any more."

'Sensible'

Hussain says the days when young people answered the call to arms are over.

"People are more sensible now. Today no one can drag us away and convince us to be a militant. We have to think for ourselves, not follow [separatist leader Syed Ali Shah] Geelani or some other leader."

Ibrahim, Hussain and Salfia all belong to that generation which was just taking baby steps when militancy blew up in Kashmir. Violence, strikes and protests have been part of their growing daily life.

But today when Kashmir is enjoying relative calm, the young think they can hope for a better future.

"We're not interested in going back down that route [of militancy] again. We need to move ahead, we want a normal life. We want peace," says Saima Farhad, an assistant professor at Kashmir University.

"When we go out of Kashmir, to other parts of India and to other countries, we wonder what we have done with ourselves? We realise we're destroying ourselves," she says.

Five years ago, after the state assembly elections, the regional People's Democratic Party (PDP) and the Congress party formed a coalition government. Since then, the situation in the troubled valley has been gradually, but steadily, improving.

Troops are still present in large numbers, but less visible.

And the withdrawal of despised counter-insurgency personnel has definitely helped ease the situation.

Also, with the Taleban (who provided support to the separatist movement) under pressure in Pakistan and Afghanistan and improved relations between India and Pakistan, there has been a dramatic improvement in the security situation.

'Superficial'

"In the first five months of 2007, there were 27 incidents of violence in which several people were killed. This year, in the same period, there have been only three incidents and none were major," says inspector general of Kashmir police, SM Sahai.

Today, the streets of Srinagar are buzzing - shops are open until late at night, tourists who shunned the picturesque valley for many years are now back in their hundreds of thousands, and morale is high.

But, says senior separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani the changes are "superficial".

"If all is well here, then how come we still have the Disturbed Areas' Act in place? Why does the army still enjoy special powers? The army says there are only 2,000 militants left, then why do they need 800,000 soldiers to fight them?"

He admits that a large number of youth have moved away from the separatist movement.

"Our youth are being led astray by India, our students are being taken out of Kashmir on education tours and they are being mislead. We are being subjected to cultural aggression."

But, Mr Geelani says he is confident that the movement for Kashmir's independence will survive.

"People's priorities may change from time to time, but there's no change in our basic stand which is the fight for freedom," he says.

Fragile peace

Another separatist leader, Shabir Shah, says the present situation can perhaps best be described as a lull before the storm.

"To say that militancy and the Kashmiri's desire for independence is over is a mistake," he says.

"If the government of India makes one mistake, the people of India will have to pay for it."

Current events may support his view.

In recent days, Kashmir has erupted again with angry protests against plans to build facilities for Hindu pilgrims in the mainly Muslim state.

This, say some, shows how fragile the peace is. It needs just a spark to set the place on fire again.

Kashmir youths chucking careers to pelt stones
Himanshi Dhawan, TNN, Aug 12, 2010, 12.48am IST
62 years of occupation, billions in subsidies, atrocities, torture, murder, rapes - and this is where the 'new' Kashmiri generation, that was supposed to have missed all that and see 'Shining India', is at.

Generally one would say to Indians in Urdu, 'ab sharam say doob maro', but the typical Indian response on this forum and elsewhere indicates a complete lack of 'sharam'.

hmmm...selective memory.....During these 62 years only they helped IN to hand back your azz...

From day 1, you interfering with their neighbours, if you have not interfered in 47-48, they might be independent today.
But I guess, when we look at PK today, its payback time.

The emotions are raw and a healing touch is needed and most of all empathy. No country in the world can or will show tangible concern to the valley Kashmiris except their own countrymen. Right now they need empathy, NGOs, civil society, student unions hell even Bollywood and cricket stars should go to Leh and Srinagar to empathasize with the plight of the Kashmiris and the flood victims.
And govt. should realize the priority should first be justice, economic and political packages are all later.

There is no doubt that the current situation should have been avoided, but lets go back in time just two years and see what BBC was reporting. So if there is sincirety then there is no reason why we can't turn the clock on the current unfortunate situation.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Changing priorities

Well I guess thats what Army Chief said in recent i/w. Army has delivered what it was supposed to do. It was political\social leadership that has failed the JK ppl.

Back
Top Bottom