What's new

Karakorum - 8 (K-8) | Jet Trainer Aircraft.

Content is the sole determinant of quality & respect. I do not know why you are so badly triggered about @denel that you are prepared to abuse like this.

I've seen army majors & captains on overseas scholarships. Of the half dozen or so people (most being pot-bellyed) whom I saw pursuing PhDs, only Dr. Shoaib (a captain back then) did anything particularly worthwhile with his education. If it were up to me, I would bar any officer beyond Captain's rank from pursuing a PhD at Army & govt's expense. A Major would have to be exceptional to merit a PhD scholarship in a relevant field. No Colonels.
I do not know either, this fellow is really off track.

I checked no record of South African scholarships for Pakistani students. BTW what is your area of research? I thinking you are BSing.

Also if you need a good example of Defense production dominated by academics just look at India and at HAL and DRDO. A lot of innovative research but mostly failed projects with no takers. From Arjun to Insas to Tejas to Rustom.
I said to you before I am not engaging your abuse and stupidity any further. thank you.

Not sure if anyone has seen this video. Don't really have the will to go through 63-pages to see if someone had uploaded in the past.

Anyways, here is a video of Team Sherdils and 360° Option is available if you want to see the rio chilling out.

This is the kinda footage i'd love to have of the F-16.

@Hodor @airomerix @Adam_Khan @Knuckles

file

I've been following your conversation with denel and didnt feel the need to respond but this post has forced me to respond.

Firstly, PAF engineers played only a small part in the design of the JF-17. It is a jet primarily designed by CAC. PAF engineers gave design directions and steered some aspects of the design. All the nitty gritty was done by the Chinese. We manufacture large parts of it but we certainly did not design it ourselves. You overestimate our capability by a lot.

Secondly, the reason our private sector does not have any capacity is due to the very conscious effort to stifle its growth. You can read my posts on the forum or @Bilal Khan (Quwa)'s @PAR 5's for details of what I mean. There is horrendous redtape for any private sector defence company and all contracts go to China. Furthermore SOEs like PAC wont even let pvt sector make screws. Pvt sector all over the world in defence exists because governments fund them. They cant foot the bill for super expensive defence R&D based on the profits they dont make because our armed forces just go and buy Chinese.

Thirdly, South Africa's defense industry is WAHY more advanced than ours. I cant even believe I have to say this. Pakistan regularly sends engineers to South Africa for courses and training. We buy a lot of tech from them. So I would really take what South Africa has to say on this much more seriously.

Lastly, always be respectful. There is never a need for name calling.
true

The private sector can support the armed forces, but it'll only happen when the armed forces decide to support the local economy. @JamD clearly brought up the example of simple stuff such as screws and bolts. If the armed forces can't even open up that -- even though the private sector can definitely supply it -- then forget anything more. There isn't going to be any growth in our industry, we'll instead scurry off to China or Europe and help their industries.

The right policy is to open up the supply of inputs to the private sector and incentivize them to expand their capacity and develop new products.

It starts with low-end stuff like nuts and bolts, but it gradually moves up to fuzes, polymers, composites, steel, and eventually to complete parts, structures, etc. It culminates in entire systems.

If they get the simple business, they'll build capacity to meet the need and, in turn, use the proceeds to grow and get better. That's how business works. It's been like this for thousands of years, but only fails when there's an unnatural element in the mix -- like gov't sanctioned monopolies, rent-seeking, etc.

Our problem is that we think it'd be a long process, and yes, we could be looking at 15-20 years. But that was true back in 2000, and back in 1980, and back in 1960, and even in 1947. In fact, in 1949, we got close to starting on the right path when the PAF was working with a tycoon from Hyderabad-Deccan to bring the P-80/F-80 production line (starting with assembly and moving to manufacturing) to Pakistan.

But that program failed because some babus decided it was a better idea to pick up the Supermarine Attacker from Britain. Herein lies the problem. We got babus who'll throw up excuses like "urgency" and what have you to burn precious hard currency on foreign goods without even as much as an offset deal (which could see at least some of that money return to our economy).

Today, we have a willing South Africa wanting to partner with us to co-develop tech -- and we know they've got expertise on rockets for AAM/SAM, turbojets for LACMs, etc -- yet we're ripping our hair out on how to improve on the SD-10. And to climb to the next step, we're willing to take on an even bigger expense for something we may not need, even though we can spend less and collaborate with others.

I had heard about military industries getting privatize, but then heard nothing again.

With all the reasons in place. The reality is that Chinese firms are coming up in Pakistan whether it's military or civilian sector. Even in real estate, Chinese are investing heavily in Pakistan; like in making apartment blocks in major cities where there were houses present in the past.

So, we all can expect that SAC, CAC, and other Chinese firms might land directly in Pakistan and will compete directly with PAC.

Its a simple and beautiful aircraft with a stellar safety record in PAF. Nice homage to the K-8 but needs more video footage of it to showcase its lines from the outside. Too much of the pilot facing gopro portions I felt.

Its a simple and beautiful aircraft with a stellar safety record in PAF. Nice homage to the K-8 but needs more video footage of it to showcase its lines from the outside. Too much of the pilot facing gopro portions I felt.
Not enough footage available, bro.

To date only 3 vids relating to K-8.

As I noted before - K-8 is very much akin to MB-326/Impala. Only if the designers can improve it further like aeromachi did with MB339. It is very much doable as there is a lot of potential in the design left.

As I noted before - K-8 is very much akin to MB-326/Impala. Only if the designers can improve it further like aeromachi did with MB339. It is very much doable as there is a lot of potential in the design left.
I will pass on your suggestions to Hongdu, which owns 75% of the project. For every K8 sold PAC gets 25% of the profit without raising a finger. Additional income from manufacturing sub-assemblies.

Back
Top Bottom