What's new

Karachi Shipyard to build two more F-22P frigates for Pakistan Navy

There are some changes to these four than the four before. That i believe is the reason. Reducing the total time to induct all four might be another reason.

But saying that Karachi ship yard has dry docks large enough to accomodate any ship or submarine PN has or plans to buy,including the 6000 tonner Qing.
They also have workshops snd heavy cranes for handling any work on these ships and subs.
And these fascilities have been there since 1960s.

good old days of PNSC till it was nationalised by jiye bhutto :cheers:

For a long time PNSC was a very proficient institute. I think it still is, better than Railways or PIA. My father who was a graduate of Marine Academy, started his career with PNSC, which was the norm to get experience on ships. He still misses those times.

wow man just wow i look it now

M.v-Islamabad-873914.jpg

465a45569c89c870.jpg

M.v-Islamabad-873915.jpg

This could be easily a Pakistan Helicopter carrier
Or imagine if this had Anti Ship of Anti Air defences this can even be turned into destroyer
a ship of this potential

Once again shows where we were in 1969`s and where we are now

For a long time PNSC was a very proficient institute. I think it still is, better than Railways or PIA. My father who was a graduate of Marine Academy, started his career with PNSC, which was the norm to get experience on ships. He still misses those times.

PNSC looks non existent

the jiye bhuttos have destroyed not only PNSC but they are still destroying other potent orgs like SSGC etc

Or imagine if this had Anti Ship of Anti Air defences this can even be turned into destroyer
a ship of this potential

no wonder we are not moving ahead while backwards

a ship of this potential

For once , I find myself in agreement with you ... We could use the expertise from F22P and Agosta program and develop and import some systems from China to be used on this platform which could be developed indigenously in our country ...

And yes I still cant believe we were making ships of such tonnage in 1969 ! We should have been developing frigates and destroyers in Pakistan by now ...

Ask your dad about how they secretly transferred Soviet missile and nuclear technology and componenents into Pakistan...
The unsung heroes of Pakistan missile and nuclear program,who without being paid an extea penny,purely for the country,took great personal risks and kept it secret. ;)

Ask your dad about how they secretly transferred Soviet missile and nuclear technology and componenents into Pakistan...
The unsung heroes of Pakistan missile and nuclear program,who without being paid an extea penny,purely for the country,took great personal risks and kept it secret. ;)

I'll definitely ask him, though he spent only his training years on PNSC ships and later joined private shipping lines.

Karachi_Shipyard.JPG
Guy Martin | defenceWeb.co.za

Karachi Shipyard will produce two more F-22P frigates for the Pakistan Navy, bringing the total number to six. The yard is currently building a fast attack craft for the Navy, as well as a wide variety of other vessels and equipment.

An authoritative source at Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works told defenceWeb that the new order was in the pipeline while China Shipbuilding Trading Company confirmed that the purchase of the two additional vessels was under discussion.

The first F-22P or Zulfiquar class multi-purpose frigate was commissioned in September 2009. The Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding Group, China State Shipbuilding Company, the China Shipbuilding and Trading Company and Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works (KSEW) are all involved in the production of the vessels.

The first three frigates were built in China at the Hudong-Zhonghau Shipyard, while the last vessel was built by Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works. This vessel is currently undergoing sea trials and is scheduled to be delivered in April next year.

The class carry Harbin Z-9 helicopters and are armed with a 76 mm gun, 30 mm Type 730B close-in weapons systems, FM-90N surface-to-air missiles, C-802 surface-to-surface missiles, ET-52C torpedoes and RDC-32 anti-submarine rockets.

The F-22P project resulted in a major modernisation of KSEW in terms of machines and infrastructure, with extensive upgrades taking place in 2008 and 2009. These upgrades included installing new gantry and lifting cranes as well as manufacturing equipment.

KSEW has two main projects underway for the Pakistan Navy: the F-22P frigates and Azmat class fast attack craft (FAC). The 560 ton fast attack craft feature surface-to-surface missiles, are 60 metres long, have a range of 1 000 nautical miles and a top speed of 30 knots. The first, PNS Azmat, was built in China by Xingang Shipyard and entered Pakistan Navy service in June this year while the second FAC, PNS Dehshat, was launched in August at KSEW. The vessels are built in collaboration with China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation under a technology transfer agreement.

KSEW in roughly a month’s time will cut steel on a training vessel for the Pakistan Navy, similar to the fast attack craft. The yard is building a pusher tug for the Pakistan Navy, which should be delivered by the end of next year. It is expecting an order from the Pakistan Navy for a 15-18 000 ton fleet tanker. China and Turkey are a couple of the bidders for this project, but the vessel itself will be built in Karachi.

KSEW is also building more than half a dozen aluminium boats for the Pakistan Army.

KSEW has three core business areas: building military and civil vessels, ship repair and heavy engineering. It builds vessels for all of Pakistan’s port authorities, and in 2011 delivered two barges, two pusher tugs and a dredge tender to Karachi’s Port Trust. Since inception in the 1950s the yard has built around 440 different vessels and is equipped to build vessels up to 26 000 tons (this limit is imposed by dock size), such as naval vessels, tugs, dredgers, hopper barges, ferries, trawlers and launches.

Ship repair is a major part of KSEW’s activities and the company has so far repaired more than 5 000 domestic and international vessels. In order to enhance the capacity for shipbuilding and repair, KSEW is installing a ship lift and transfer system, which is due to be completed by 2013.

KSEW has extensive general engineering capabilities and builds sugar plants, cranes, boilers and pressure vessels, cement plants, towers, drilling rigs and other heavy equipment.

This Vessel is a Classic example of a ASW Corevette - What is Rationale of being called Frigate (Tonnage perse is also, too Less)

What a confusing thread name.... Pakistan Navy should buy or build under license 4000tn+ frigates to keep up with their biggest enemy "INDIAN NAVY".. Don't bother about BN, we dont have enough to defeend ourselves against myanmar attack.

there were some safety related issues with the original 4 ships. now PN will install western safety equipment. some sensors and weapons may be moved to more convinient locations on the new planned ships

there were some safety related issues with the original 4 ships. now PN will install western safety equipment. some sensors and weapons may be moved to more convinient locations on the new planned ships

Sir
do you know if any of the changes onthe new frigates will result in changes on the old ones as well.
Araz

The enhanced F22p project and Fast atttack Missile ships are wonderful projects for Pakistan Navy , hope to see our New Frigate numbers reach 12 ships soon what a remarkable achivement with cooperation of our Chinese friends and vision of Mr Musharaf who started the wonderful discussion

Or imagine if this had Anti Ship of Anti Air defences this can even be turned into destroyer a ship of this potential

The only thing that is different between Aircraft carrier and this ship is that the (command center tower) is on one side
so they balance out the weight of the ship , the ship in picture has the weight balanced in center

But certainly this ship or similar if Pakistan Navy orders could house a small runway for Operating 14 Helicopter gunships armed with Anti Submairne and Anti Ship capabilities

The size of the ship would also easily allow installation of (Anti Air Missile systems) and Anti Ship

Such ship can also have Armed Drones or Survailence drones

PNSC should be given a fat order to build a Helicopter Carrier Flag Ship for Pakistan Navy

One thing is for CERTAIN ... we can build LARGE SHIPS size of destroyers and Mini Aircraft carriers easily

islamabad.jpg

deadweight

Weight -----------------------18,204 tons
Length -----------------------153.01 meters
Width -------------------------23.0 m

Nimitz Class Carrier:
Length: 1,092 feet (332.8 m)
100,000–106,300 Tons

The dimensions are certainly Twice as much Legth wise the Carriers are twice as big
the width aspect the carriers are certainly more wider

Since the Dimensions are bigger the Ton Capacity is higher ...

But Still that the figures show that Pakistan could build a bigger ship a true destroyer category ship if they desired

if the Same ship is just SCALLED up x 2 , then it could match the carrier

Scaled Up design
Weight -----------------------40,000 tons
Length -----------------------320 meters
Width ----------------------- 50 m (the width could have expanded a bit to 100 meters )

It could probbly House

a) Anti Ship Missiles
b) Anti Air Missiles
c) Drones , Armed Drones
d) Helicopter Fleet of 15 Attack Helicopters
e) Radars
f) Cannons /CWIS

Most Fighter Jets , need 400-600 Meters to take off or land so Nimitz uses a capture mechanism to catapault or stop a incoming plane

Therefore I feel as a starter Pakistan should focus on a "Helicopter Carrier fleet"

Or minimum a Destroyer class ship with (Ample Air Defence + Anti Missle and Anti Submarine) capabilities

I always thought we just did not had the tools needed to build something big and large aparently we actually can build large vessels easily

Back
Top Bottom