What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

D Li, S Guo, Y. He, J Xiang,” Nonlinear aeroelastic analysis of a morphing flap, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos”, Vol. 22, No. 5, 2012, pp. 1250099.1-11 - Read this small paper.
I am not sure what this paper is hoping to conclude. Reads like one of those "we did this, this happened" kind of papers that shy away from making any claims. The authors made no claims about any possible improvement in flight characteristics. Was there something specific you were pointing to in there?

D Li, S Guo, Y. He, J Xiang,” Nonlinear aeroelastic analysis of a morphing flap, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos”, Vol. 22, No. 5, 2012, pp. 1250099.1-11 - Read this small paper.

Thank you for the referred study. A layman like me can understand that it is leading to reduce critical flutter speed resulting in super critical bifurcation, which is affected due to aspect ratio & wind speed ultimately affecting higher AoA & maneuverability.

So, more stability and maneuverability for higher angle of attack.

Side note: not my field but still, that interests me and correction is requested, if there is any.

Would be nice accomplishment to induct the first JF-17B squadron into Airforce on defense day
Long overdue to see 18 birds flying , forming a fresh squadron

Suprised that formal introduction has not happened it's been a while since we have seen the JF17 2B Models

C-fBIt-W0AA-iYn

Last edited:
PAC chairman Air Marshall Ahmer Shahzad told AIN, “Production of subassemblies has already started for the first two 50 Block 3 aircraft, to be assembled next year, and will be followed by another 12 in 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024. We will assemble eight dual-seaters this year, followed by 14 in 2020, and the remaining four in 2021.”

This means 12 block 2 plus 8 dual seater will be ready to join paf by the end of 2019 ?

This Means 1 full sqn plus each of previous jf sqn will get 2 dual seaters each brining total strength per sqn to 18 at the end of the year , Ocu usually get more dual seaters like 4 ??

So 2dual seaters delivered from China plus 8 from pac in 2019 ?? Expecting new sqn conversion ceremony on 2019

PAC chairman Air Marshall Ahmer Shahzad told AIN, “Production of subassemblies has already started for the first two 50 Block 3 aircraft, to be assembled next year, and will be followed by another 12 in 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024. We will assemble eight dual-seaters this year, followed by 14 in 2020, and the remaining four in 2021.”

So, this is disappointing to say the least.

Looks like the first 2 Block IIIs produced in 2020 would be used as sort of prototypes for testing. Bulk production (only 12) will begin in 2021. I understand that PAC would also be executing export orders, but for PAF inductions the pace is way too slow. Integration may be quicker with Block-III, but just the fact that the first squadron is more than 2 years away is dispiriting.

So, this is disappointing to say the least.

Looks like the first 2 Block IIIs produced in 2020 would be used as sort of prototypes for testing. Bulk production (only 12) will begin in 2021. I understand that PAC would also be executing export orders, but for PAF inductions the pace is way too slow. Integration may be quicker with Block-III, but just the fact that the first squadron is more than 2 years away is dispiriting.

Induction depends upon the maturity of technology that is going inside JF-17. Back in 2012, JF-17 Block III was scheduled for manufacturing in 2016. But the AESA radar design and production by china pushed the timeline of block III. Aesa Radars, HMDS, Inter EW systems and multiple other systems I reckon would be the first time that will tested on JF-17. Like F-35 technologies, despite the proven F-22 Raptor tech, how much F-35 faced difficulties because of many new tech going into F-35 and which took time to mature.

Induction depends upon the maturity of technology that is going inside JF-17. Back in 2012, JF-17 Block III was scheduled for manufacturing in 2016. But the AESA radar design and production by china pushed the timeline of block III. Aesa Radars, HMDS, Inter EW systems and multiple other systems I reckon would be the first time that will tested on JF-17. Like F-35 technologies, despite the proven F-22 Raptor tech, how much F-35 faced difficulties because of many new tech going into F-35 and which took time to mature.

Yeah I understand that. It shows that the level of technology being incorporated in Block-III is such that extensive testing is required. But I had hoped that we would have them much sooner. The neighborhood is heating up and we really need 4.5+ Gen warbirds in the air. I am not sure 18 F-16 Block 52 can continue to suffice 2 years from now.

I am sure that part of the delay is Pakistan's economic slide catching up with PAF procurement.... Can't be helped.

I have mentioned that many times in previous posts that first squadron of block3 won’t be ready before 2021.
Maybe Chinese have done all the testing secretly.

Building 150 block 3 by 2025???

Do you think we have a transformers technology?

As for as JF-17 block 3 is concerned, We haven’t even seen the mock-up. I was hoping to see it this month but some Chinese members are saying that China will not reveal that. So block 3 mock-up May already been build.

Here is the estimated time line of the block 3
2019-2020: 1st prototype will be build.

2020: it will go through extensive testing. If the testing is all good then it will go into limited production. If something is missing or enhancements is required, 2nd, 3rd and even 4th prototype will be build.

2020-2021: If everything goes as plan then it will go through testing phase of the prototype before it goes into limited production (3 to 4).

2021-2022: limited production : flying testing

2023: serial production /induction ceremony.

Those who are dreaming that we will have squadron of block 3 by 2020 are not fooling anyone but themselves.

Last edited:

I should be tagging you here mate. :D

View attachment 578346

and is it me or wing edge is really swollen.

View attachment 578349

Would you like to mount pl15 on the wingtip station?

Somewhere in there are blk 3 as well.

There are a lot of juicy tidbits in this interview. I see additional jets being built and lots of details on the twin seaters =)

View attachment 578347

Spine for the two seater is used for FBW and other systems like previously disclosed, not fuel tanks
View attachment 578343

First images of XX-603
View attachment 578344

Name of the program plz?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom