What's new

JF-17 VS GRIPPEN C/D a comparison

@Manticore - Brother you said that the Swedes built/designed the Grippen with the Russians in mind because they wanted to have an aircraft with a higher sortie rate.

Any idea what kind of sortie rate would the Jf-17 be having and how does it fare in comparison to sortie rates of other similar aircrafts ?

@Manticore - Brother you said that the Swedes built/designed the Grippen with the Russians in mind because they wanted to have an aircraft with a higher sortie rate.

Any idea what kind of sortie rate would the Jf-17 be having and how does it fare in comparison to sortie rates of other similar aircrafts ?
Engine changes takes only several hours according to some sources, systems are plug n play and have electric diagnostic systems. Sortie rate is higher as compared to double engine fighter however dont know the exact rate. If our f7/mirages can operate from motorways then jf17 would fair much better

Avionics tool kit (rugged laptop):

Seen above is a rugged laptop used as a portable maintenance aid to maintain avionics of the aircraft. The maintenance aid provides e-manuals , data analysis tool kit and aircraft configuration information. The technicians views graphical representations of weapon configuration before clearing the aircraft for flight. Depending upon each mission, operational needs can be visualized before loading the aircraft. Errors and discrepancies between observed values and actual values are displayed in it as well. This toolkit provides efficient means of locating cause of Malfunction (MAL) messages during loading the aircraft.

JF-17 Test and Evaluation (T&E) team analyzing the aircraft data in multiple rugged laptops connected to the avionics compartment of the aircraft.

Avionics shelve:

JF-17 Thunder - PAFwallpapers Blog | Page 2
JF-17 crew working on the avionics shelve above the starboard air intake. The yellow wires are attached to the avionics data unit, which are downloaded in a rugged laptop for further analysis.
LnIZj.jpg

Price-wise the JF-17 wins the contest. I might add that in real combat and according to the price, the avionics and the weapons, it will win too. Since I doubt it very much that one Grippen can beat 5 or 6 JF-17s (produced for the same price) in an areal combat by any means.
In the other perspective of one on one, given the Swedish unrestricted access to US and European technologies, know - how and finances. It is obvious that the Grippen is a better plane.
Adding an AESA radar among other minor tweaks to the JF-17 will make yet another perspective possible where the JF-17 will be a close match to the Grippen, although not a 100 % match...yet!

Price-wise the JF-17 wins the contest. I might add that in real combat and according to the price, the avionics and the weapons, it will win too. Since I doubt it very much that one Grippen can beat 5 or 6 JF-17s (produced for the same price) in an areal combat by any means.
In the other perspective of one on one, given the Swedish unrestricted access to US and European technologies, know - how and finances. It is obvious that the Grippen is a better plane.
Adding an AESA radar among other minor tweaks to the JF-17 will make yet another perspective possible where the JF-17 will be a close match to the Grippen, although not a 100 % match...yet!

I don't think Pakistan can sell the JF-17 for under $15 million including training and spare part anymore。Maintenance wise 1 Gripen is definitely cheaper than 5-6 JF 17.
In Phase 2, the RTAF intends to procure an additional 6 Gripen fighters together with associated equipment, spare parts and training, and a 2nd Saab S340 Erieye AEW system aircraft, for about $500 million over a 5-year budgetary commitment from 2013-2017. A budget squeeze ended up delaying this option, but it’s moving forward with a contract. All Phase 2 aircraft deliveries are scheduled to finish in 2013.

JF-17 was probably designed with Pakistani inputs but it is manufactured and made in China.

There is no bias against Pakistan. Let's face it Pakistan cannot build a modern 4th gen aircraft, and to be honest India is not that good either. Even China is unsuccessful in it's attempts. It has copied the Sukhoi-30 flanker but anybody can make out its a Russian design.

China makes many weapons for export basis only, JF-17 is the prime example so is Al Khalid. The Chinese themselves won't purchase these weapons. Also bear in mind I did not say anything negative about JF-17, it may or may not be a good aircraft.

My point is if I have to choose between JF-17 and Grippen I would definitely choose Grippen.
yes agreed to your POV, but Jf17 is relatively newer will take time for people to accept it for exports while countries with budget constraints who want to replace existing migs , f7s or older jets can really chose it over gripen .

JF-17 is an ambitious aircraft by an arrogant manufacturer who designs its very first fighter and is so confident that it offers it for export against the well established world manufacturers
Depends on which manufacturers you are talking, so far JF 17 is hardly being offered in actual competitions. Egypt or rumors about Gulf states buying it are mainly side offers, just by the fact of religious similarities and political ties to them. Sri Lanka, Nigeria or Argentina are countries that either don't have access to modern western fighter, or can't afford them. So in all these cases, "proposing" JF 17 is not a bad choice, if an export is realistic however includes other factors.
The biggest problem for JF17 on the export market is big daddy China itself, since as expected it doesn't shy away from offering their own J10 on the same markets that they offer JF17 too. Both are offered with pretty much the same radar, avionics and weapons of Chinese origin and Russian engines, so that doesn't make much difference for the export countries either. China has a logical interest to get 100% of the money by selling J10s, rather than 50% if they sell JF17 and no doubt that they will put their political pressure behind their own fighter.
Apart of China, Russia is the next problem, since they also offer their Mig 29s on the same low cost markets and as long as JF17 remains to have a Russian engine, there is always the issue of blocking sales that in competition to Russians export interests.
All this makes it pretty tricky for Pakistan to get exports, even if the fighter offers the potential on the low cost market.

We still have no official figures on the Block 2 for weight or flight performance changes right?

on what terms can Grippen beat 5 or 6 JF-17..???

I don't think Pakistan can sell the JF-17 for under $15 million including training and spare part anymore。Maintenance wise 1 Gripen is definitely cheaper than 5-6 JF 17.
Actually I was thinking of a 20 million$ price/unit for the JF-17. Grippen NG is around 100 million $, if one refers to the Brazilian deal... Do the math again and you'll see it is 5/1.

on what terms can Grippen beat 5 or 6 JF-17..???
No such terms, it can only beat the JF-17 on a one on one basis...and than!

Back
Top Bottom