What's new

JF-17 trumps the Viper in certain domains

yes but with each new upgrade F-16 has become bulkey, any how not my concern as I said what I saw in the video it is there. Flying from idle truest to lighting a candle is something else but exiting a near stall situation is some thing else. Slow pass is a situation where the computer is not letting the plan stall keeping the minimum speed and angle required to keep the jet in air as you know. This thing has all factors come in not just engine but aero dynamics and many other things. F-16 has more drag than JF-17 due the placement of it's air intakes under the main fuselage. there are many things that count in a jet it is never the engine, actually engine is the least concerning part it can always be upgraded but when you design a new air frame it becomes a new jet.
Watch the video from about 3.50 to see the power of F-16 engine.

a marketing ploy while others just put it down to Airchief's sense of humour

If someone is off the opinion to say as such,

how the leader of a reputable organisation would openly make such remarks and claims to an International journal without some substance.

wouldn't understand this at all. The few will have to reconsider their thoughts, even this attempt I see gone in vain, and have to understand that PAF having experience on both platforms can speak based upon ground reality. This can be denied once someone with such reputation proves it wrong but as we see no debunk, speaks volume of what ACM said.

Recently in an interview, the PAF Air Chief made some startling disclosures.
In the words of ACM Sohail Aman, JF-17 trumps F-16 Block 52 in three different domains.

''Meanwhile, Aman was keen to say that the JF-17 trumps the F-16 Block 52 in three different domains – although he wouldn’t elaborate on what they were. “Let me keep something to myself,” he smiled.''
http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/dubai-airshow-pakistan-jf-17-returns-to-dubai.html

While some of you called it a marketing ploy while others just put it down to Airchief's sense of humour, however i was dismayed as how the leader of a reputable organisation would openly make such remarks and claims to an International journal without some substance. So making my own enquiries from some well placed sources, i have managed to get the following information which goes to prove that JF-17 indeed betters the F-16 in certain scenarios.

''No doubt the Falcon is superior to the JF, its a bigger aircraft than the JF, more powerful engine, more faster...but as a complete-package, as an all-rounder the Thunder is far better no two views about it''

1. Lower RCS > believe it or not the Thunder is more stealthier than the Falcon

2. SOW / REK > Stand-Off Weapon / Range Extension Kit. The Falcon has the JDAM, but the one on the JF is more superior, lethal and dead-accurate. In fact it goes even further than the JDAM which gives a huge offensive punch and is all the more remarkable considering the fact that the payload / warhead was developed indigenously by our own software engineers and technicians.

3. Faster turnaround - believe it or not, the Thunder can be prepared in shorter duration of time for its next mission after landing. Rumor has it 45mins (same time as a Typhoon) which includes refuelling, re-arming and doing all the other ground checks.

@Hodor @MastanKhan @Oscar @Tempest II @Knuckles @araz @Irfan Baloch
Unlike the F-16 where the plug can be removed at anytime, JF-17 on the other hand is sanction proof, can be deployed wherever and however we like without looking for permission from Uncle SAM and most importantly the learning curve that it provides far exceeds anything F-16 can ever provide.

Something to add here in the recent Dubai Air show video which i saw online there were both JF-17 and F-16 also Gripen present and performed. Now in their performance there was on this that all three did and that was a slow pass in the end of their performance which was done by all three Jets. In case of F-16 and Gripen they both went nose down to recover from the slow pass but JF-17 exited the slow pass with nose up going into a straight climb. Now was it due to pilot training or what but it showed that JF-17 has a better climb rate and can exit stall situation with more options.
JF-17 climbed up after the slow-speed pass...but the F-16 did the same and at a much steeper rate. The F-16 pilot did not drop the nose at all....check out the displays again.

yes you are correct it went up. then it is Pakistani pilots.
And that's on the A model. The E model climbs just as well in the display profile by the UAE Air Force (their demo pilot is an operational squadron pilot, not the OC as per PAF lax standard).

1. JFT More customize able than falcon.
2. More easy to employee
3. Smaller in size so more difficult to spot by enemy...
I don't see any other advantage it can have again F-16

2. More easy to employee
Definitely right about point 1. I mean there's hardly been any difference between from Block 1 all the way until the Block 60 when it comes to the F-16. JF-17 on the other hand is way ahead........

And that's on the A model. The E model climbs just as well in the display profile by the UAE Air Force (their demo pilot is an operational squadron pilot, not the OC as per PAF lax standard).
Maybe because their OC just prefersw to be a desk jockey where as PAF leaders believe in leading from the front.

2. More easy to employee
It is our product and that is the biggest advantage. What you guys are not seeing is the fact that we are comparing our product to a venerable bastion of the 4th or 4+ generation fighter. This is our first venture and in 10 yrs we are in a position to compare it with the best in its generation. The final iteration of the thunder is going to be even better than this. So let us wait and see.
Good effort Windy. As time goes by we will incorporate more tech into our baby and he will grow up a bit more. With the problems of not finding a suitable engine: and we are probably still tweaking/ playing around with the engine: we have done really well.
A

JF17 can do everything a Block52+ can do and a hell of a lot more. Yes the common stuff, the Viper does (depending on the particular stuff) from better to far better. But, the Viper does not have a the stand off attack capability of the Thunder, cannot launch a pair of Mach 5 AShMs, in our case, has no refuelling capability and also in our case, limited data link. I think our F16's don't have MAWS either.

For PAF, the Viper is best employed in deep penetration strike missions. The Thunder for AD and stand off missions. The Thunder with BVR and AEW support would be deadly, with its SD10's LOAL ability. Which our AMRAAM (or any AMRAAM AFAIK) lack. And F16, with Sniper pods and CFT and its excellent ECM suite could attack deep into enemy territory. And defend itself. The Thunder to do the same mission will struggle or have to stand off.

2. More easy to employee
You may not see the advantages but you are also not privy to the info the air chief has. Our commanders are well known for not talking tripe. So if he says something I would listen. Just because I don't know doesn't mean it's not true. It just means I don't know

It is our product and that is the biggest advantage. What you guys are not seeing is the fact that we are comparing our product to a venerable bastion of the 4th or 4+ generation fighter. This is our first venture and in 10 yrs we are in a position to compare it with the best in its generation. The final iteration of the thunder is going to be even better than this. So let us wait and see.
Good effort Windy. As time goes by we will incorporate more tech into our baby and he will grow up a bit more. With the problems of not finding a suitable engine: and we are probably still tweaking/ playing around with the engine: we have done really well.
A

Well said. The JF-17 is great now and a re-engine can make it excellent if it is deemed necessary at some point in the future. There is still a lot of development to come for this platform, and as you said, its biggest advantage will remain that it is a domestic joint product.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom