What's new

JF-17 Thunder still under evaluation by the PLAAF

At the Dubai air show, US officers, in response to the "low cost" mantra, were quoted as saying that you could shoot down 5 JFT for the cost of one F16 - so which would Air forces want to equip themselves with?

Anyway, you suit yourself - however, you will hear less and less of this "low cost" stuff, because we are not selling low cost, but rather "high effectiveness"

I don't know in what context the US officers said something like that....or did they really say it.....but i'd say......they should either go back to their Air War school.....or perhaps.......strap themselves in one f-16 with live AIM 120s and then be pitted against 5 JFTs armed with live SD10s.

If they are so confident, they should be able to bet their life on it, right?

I don't know in what context the US officers said something like that....or did they really say it.....but i'd say......they should either go back to their Air War school.....or perhaps.......strap themselves in one f-16 with live AIM 120s and then be pitted against 5 JFTs armed with live SD10s.

Pleez, think more and FEEL LESS -- Is this Chak bravado the new Mktg strategy??

i think the US officer meant if JF-17 is unarmed and the f-16 is allowed to shot at it with all of its AIM 120D then allowed to land and requip itself for second time and shot again with aim 120D (while the thunder waiting there unarmed)..as this is only possible scenario for such an event i.e for f-16 to take down 5 JFTs..

ofcourse i am pretty sure no such quote was passed in first place

I would not read much into it. Just a bit of machoism on the part of an enthusiastic yank
araz

JF-17 is quite potent fighter and pilots flying this jet have great respect for it and believe that it is gona perform better than block 52 with little more upgrades ....... world need to change its attitude now

Why is it not good? Let me remind you, to date it is still the only operational jet having bump air intakes. It's avionics, weapons, engine are all top notch and are due to be upgraded to state of the art.

That's DSI My friend Nothing special about it....DSI divert boundary layer airflow away from the aircraft's engine while compressing the air to slow it down from supersonic speed. Also decrease maintenance and reduce RCS by hiding fanblades. I am Not Saying JFT is NOT good atleast read my post carefully, but you are expecting to much from a low end fighter.

JF-17 Thunder still under evaluation by the PLAAF then which JF17 Pakistan using?

and LCA still under evaluation by the IAF and finally ready to induct soon....

At the Dubai air show, US officers, in response to the "low cost" mantra, were quoted as saying that you could shoot down 5 JFT for the cost of one F16 - so which would Air forces want to equip themselves with?

Anyway, you suit yourself - however, you will hear less and less of this "low cost" stuff, because we are not selling low cost, but rather "high effectiveness"

totally agree

this got to be the worse choice for the primary selling point of an aviation war machine where normally performance & capability is the main concern. sadly this punchline has been used to death from top to bottom of the PAF hierarchy.

which is quiet unfair to the aircraft. it is a tailor made aircraft with what exactly PAF wanted for itself, the flexibility and in-house participation + cooperation with china brought cost benefits which were a welcome aspect but not at the expense of its performance. the benchmark has been always the front line F-16s Pakistan has had.

the American response was very fitting and I would actually like to thank him for doing that. hopefully "low cost" mantra will be dropped one day.

when the concept of F-16 was envisioned, the cost element was there but the main selling point was its agility, performance and its awesome design in order to augment the far more expensive and complex F-15s, at no point it felt as if it was a cheaper replacement at the expense of low quality.

sorry for the lack of a proper example but I will try to explain this here
fighter jets are like luxury and antique items, where prices are not the concern for the customers, in fact if you decrease the price of a luxury item it has a negative impact on its sales making the prospect customer thinking that maybe there is a problem with the product. its like if a Lawyer is expensive then he ought to be good. same goes to exclusive restaurants.

granted, that JF-17 is not made with the high end market in mind but lets not beat the "low cost" element to death.
hehe

if someone can dig my posts few years back I hated every single time when this word "low cost" was used and it looks like I have other people who have had enough of this word.

Ive not seen "low cost" used in a while..
Rather "cost effective" is the motto for the JF.

JF-17 Thunder still under evaluation by the PLAAF then which JF17 Pakistan using?

and LCA still under evaluation by the IAF and finally ready to induct soon....

2014 is soon lol. and where would Tejas fit? They have Su-30MKI and MiG-29 and Mirage 2000 and getting most likely Rafale. their navy uses MiG-29K. having too many aircraft types would make logistics very difficult

2014 is soon lol. and where would Tejas fit? They have Su-30MKI and getting most likely Rafale. their navy uses MiG-29K. having too many aircraft types would make logistics very difficult

Tejas will fulfill the role of are Low end Point defence fighter, Su30mki and Rafale are High end strike fighters (roles are different). Mig 29K is for navy, and b/w we are decreasing fighter types by inducting multirole platforms. even tejas itself is a multirole platform, so your "logistics" point is invalid.

Regarding THE MAIN QUESTION in this entire THREAD.

PLAAF and JFT we must ask ourselves DO CHINA REALLY NEED A 4TH NEW COMBAT TYPE..... ie

THE PLAAF are inductong Flankers esp J11 now

indengious single engine J10 & FC20 soon.

AND will start to induct J20 stealth fighters soon.

i SEE J20 / J11, & J10 being the perfect balance... ie stealth,,, twin engined ,, single engined inplaaf.

I agree there are some 500 F7 but i see the PLAAF changing shape & size ie 200 J10/FC20 is better than 500 F7

JFT could forfill local AIR NATIONAL GUARD type role over chinease air bases like F5 did in the USA in the 1970s

Back
Top Bottom