What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Why is blk 60 better than blk3 or ce ... A few concrete points will help ..

Better usually does not mean superior
Some simple things would be.

Simultaneous Target engagement.
Thrust to power ratio
Service ceiling
Range extension (CFT option)
Life span for both jets. (tells u about built quality)
Radar range

These are some of the things i can remember from the top of my head that makes it better.
The question of being superior, it all depends on the pilot and how he uses the arsenals at his disposal

1668714071376.png

What radar does the block 60 use?

AN/APG-80 AESA radar system.

The Desert Falcons’ most significant changes are electronic. Northrop Grumman’s AN/APG-80 AESA radar is the most significant advance, and made the UAE the first fighter force in the world to field this revolutionary new radar technology outside of the USA. Compared to mechanically-scanned arrays like the AN/APG-68v9s that equip advanced American and foreign F-16s, AESA radars like the APG-80 have more power, better range, less sidelobe “leakage,” near-100% combat availability, and more potential add-on capabilities via software improvements. Unlike the APG-68s, the APG-80 can perform simultaneous ground and air scan, track, and targeting, and it adds an “agile beam” that reduces the odds of detection by opposing aircraft when the radar is on.

This last feature is important. Seeing the enemy first remains every bit as significant as it was in Boelcke’s day, but the inverse square law for propagation means that turning on older radar design is like activating a flashlight in a large and dark building. It can be seen much farther away than it can illuminate. An agile-beam AESA radar largely negates that disadvantage, while illuminating enemies who may not have their own radars on.

Source: Defense Industry Daily

This radar system is among the best in its class - 4th generation AESA technology.

F-16 has larger and stronger airframe - this coupled with a powerful engine and superior T/W ratio makes it a formidable fighter in conditions and altitudes that would absolutely stress a lightweight jet fighter.

F-16 can also be equipped with well-designed CFTs to expand its range by a significant margin. This allows PAF to use this jet fighter to conduct precision strikes deep inside India. PAF was able to obtain these CFTs from US.

Standoff munitions are helpful but in limited quantity. Jet fighters are suitable for providing CAS to troops on the ground and more. PAF has hundreds of Laser-guided Bombs (LGBs) and Bunker Busters that can be deployed through F-16.

PAF also obtained JHMCS for its F-16 pilots. JHMCS provides HOBS capability with compatible munition.

F-16 avionics are not a dud either. AN/APG-68(V)9 radar system is most advanced outside AESA options. The jet fighter is equipped with AN/ALQ-211 AIDEWS and NATO standard networking capabilities. It is not easy for the Indian Air Force to jam these jet fighters.

J-10CE procurement makes sense for the reasons you mentioned. It is a decent jet fighter in its own right and brings those capabilities to the table that US has not provided yet. It is also bigger and more capable than JF-17 on the whole. Good force-multiplier for PAF.

I would say that each of the following:

1. F-16 variants
2. J-10CE
3. JF-17 variants

- are important in their own right. I see merits of each in view of Pakistani security dynamics.

See my perspective above.

You wouldn't want to debate F-16E/F Block 60 vs. J-10CE, dear.

F-16E/F Block 60 is a 4++ generation variant that was custom-built for UAE. It is a big leap from F-16C/D Block 52+ in the inventory of PAF.

But WE are good with J-10CE for now. I am not complaining. Chill pill.

I agree to what you have said.

I never undermined any platform in my original post. I only described the strongest point of each platform. Secondly when comparing aircrafts, the most important thing atleast for me is to foresee present & future scenario in terms of weapons compatibility, spares, maintenance, logistics & operations. For instance, F-16 with Egypt has lower potential as even AMRAAMs are not available to them, whereas F-16s of Turkey are beast as almost every type of weaponary from AMRAAMs to anti-shipping role is available to those. The same platform but vastly different potential.

So, the aircrafts which do not pose any software upgrades restrictions or any particular strike mission denial due to weapon restrictions or political reasons are the platforms that you want to bet on.
F-16s are beasts. But 10 years down the lane, the kind of weapons we'll be getting / building for JF-17s / J-10Cs will make these birds more and more relevant. I cannot expect that we'll be receiving any strike or even any other weapon package anymore for F-16s. The normal sustenance / maintenance packages may continue as it was approved this year earlier.

ACE of PAF

JF-17 Serial # 12-138 "IRIAF Shahed-129 Slayer" is now wearing normal grey two tone Low Vis Camo like other Thunders after overhaul at PAC.

Previously it wore JF-17 Demo Team livery (National flag).

Now alloted to CCS JF-17 Squadron "Dashings".

Tail art credits belong to @Tipu_Creativity

1668975209036.png

1668975605439.png

Last edited:
Some simple things would be.

Simultaneous Target engagement.
Thrust to power ratio
Service ceiling
Range extension (CFT option)
Life span for both jets. (tells u about built quality)
Radar range

These are some of the things i can remember from the top of my head that makes it better.
The question of being superior, it all depends on the pilot and how he uses the arsenals at his disposal
Cool, just do not have the money bro.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom