What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Our best is F16

Its a pointless debate which is best. There is not enough difference that we call any aircraft best among the top 3 platforms of ours. So let's not get into it. All 3 platforms have their strong points. Also, why we need to bother when these are in our airforce. Below are few of the strong points of each:

Logistically and operationally, JF-17 is deployed in far more numbers. The weapon array for JF-17s is quite wide. F-16s in PAF are only limited to mainly AMRAAMs and LGBs but no SOWs / Anti-Shipping role. JF-17s do it all. The future integration of weapons with JF-17s is promising. We simply cannot do it with a western platform which we do not own. The more freedom gives incredible advantage in terms of logistics & operations

F-16 has better payload, better engine performance. But its not a 4.5 gen aircraft. Its a 4+ generation aircraft. The foremost requirement for a true 4.5 gen aircraft is an AESA radar

JF-17 / J-10Cs have next gen avionics (AESA radar), HMDs, HOBS missiles, LRAAMs. All of these capabilities are missing in F-16s.

1668693133343.png

So far China has not offer a single refuel tanker for export. This is one of the China short coming for export market.
Why is it a shortcoming? It’s a new product and they will naturally meet their domestic needs first.

Why is it a shortcoming? It’s a new product and they will naturally meet their domestic needs first.
Not every countries can afford a Y-20U tanker. Especially most Chinese military customers are on budget. Selling a JF-17 bk 3 with refuel rod but not able to provide a tanker will be short sighted.

I am thinking why China do not convert a Y-9 into tanker.

Its a pointless debate which is best. There is not enough difference that we call any aircraft best among the top 3 platforms of ours. So let's not get into it. All 3 platforms have their strong points. Also, why we need to bother when these are in our airforce. Below are few of the strong points of each:

Logistically and operationally, JF-17 is deployed in far more numbers. The weapon array for JF-17s is quite wide. F-16s in PAF are only limited to mainly AMRAAMs and LGBs but no SOWs / Anti-Shipping role. JF-17s do it all. The future integration of weapons with JF-17s is promising. We simply cannot do it with a western platform which we do not own. The more freedom gives incredible advantage in terms of logistics & operations

F-16 has better payload, better engine performance. But its not a 4.5 gen aircraft. Its a 4+ generation aircraft. The foremost requirement for a true 4.5 gen aircraft is an AESA radar

JF-17 / J-10Cs have next gen avionics (AESA radar), HMDs, HOBS missiles, LRAAMs. All of these capabilities are missing in F-16s.

F-16 has larger and stronger airframe - this coupled with a powerful engine and superior T/W ratio makes it a formidable fighter in conditions and altitudes that would absolutely stress a lightweight jet fighter.

F-16 can also be equipped with well-designed CFTs to expand its range by a significant margin. This allows PAF to use this jet fighter to conduct precision strikes deep inside India. PAF was able to obtain these CFTs from US.

Standoff munitions are helpful but in limited quantity. Jet fighters are suitable for providing CAS to troops on the ground and more. PAF has hundreds of Laser-guided Bombs (LGBs) and Bunker Busters that can be deployed through F-16.

PAF also obtained JHMCS for its F-16 pilots. JHMCS provides HOBS capability with compatible munition.

F-16 avionics are not a dud either. AN/APG-68(V)9 radar system is most advanced outside AESA options. The jet fighter is equipped with AN/ALQ-211 AIDEWS and NATO standard networking capabilities. It is not easy for the Indian Air Force to jam these jet fighters.

J-10CE procurement makes sense for the reasons you mentioned. It is a decent jet fighter in its own right and brings those capabilities to the table that US has not provided yet. It is also bigger and more capable than JF-17 on the whole. Good force-multiplier for PAF.

I would say that each of the following:

1. F-16 variants
2. J-10CE
3. JF-17 variants

- are important in their own right. I see merits of each in view of Pakistani security dynamics.

I don't think it's better than J-10CE operate by PAF.
See my perspective above.

You wouldn't want to debate F-16E/F Block 60 vs. J-10CE, dear.

F-16E/F Block 60 is a 4++ generation variant that was custom-built for UAE. It is a big leap from F-16C/D Block 52+ in the inventory of PAF.

But WE are good with J-10CE for now. I am not complaining. Chill pill.

F-16 has larger and stronger airframe - this coupled with a powerful engine and superior T/W ratio makes it a formidable fighter in conditions and altitudes that would absolutely stress a lightweight jet fighter.

F-16 can also be equipped with well-designed CFTs to expand its range by a significant margin. This allows PAF to use this jet fighter to conduct precision strikes deep inside India. PAF was able to obtain these CFTs from US.

Standoff munitions are helpful but in limited quantity. Jet fighters are suitable for providing CAS to troops on the ground and more. PAF has hundreds of Laser-guided Bombs (LGBs) and Bunker Busters that can be deployed through F-16.

PAF also obtained JHMCS for its F-16 pilots. JHMCS provides HOBS capability with compatible munition.

F-16 avionics are not a dud either. AN/APG-68(V)9 radar system is most advanced outside AESA options. The jet fighter is equipped with AN/ALQ-211 AIDEWS and NATO standard networking capabilities. It is not easy for the Indian Air Force to jam these jet fighters.

J-10CE procurement makes sense for the reasons you mentioned. It is a decent jet fighter in its own right and brings those capabilities to the table that US has not provided yet. It is also bigger and more capable than JF-17 on the whole. Good force-multiplier for PAF.

1. F-16 variants
2. J-10CE
3. JF-17 variants

- are important in their own right. I see merits of each in view of Pakistani security dynamics.

F-16E/F Block 60 is a 4++ generation variant that was custom-built for UAE. It is a big leap from F-16C/D Block 52+ in the inventory of PAF.

What radar does the block 60 use?

1. F-16 variants
2. J-10CE
3. JF-17 variants

1. F-16 variants
2. J-10CE
3. JF-17 variants

You know patriotism can be blinding sometimes.
F16 block 60 is a different beast of its own, don’t believe me ask the pilots at top gun school. Giving f15 and f18 a run for their money.
What pakistan has done with limited resources is phenomenal kudos to them but comparing the technicalities of j10 and thunder b3 to f16 b60 isnt fair. Yes man behind machine matters. i can tell from personal experience.

You know patriotism can be blinding sometimes.
F16 block 60 is a different beast of its own, don’t believe me ask the pilots at top gun school. Giving f15 and f18 a run for their money.
What pakistan has done with limited resources is phenomenal kudos to them but comparing the technicalities of j10 and thunder b3 to f16 b60 isnt fair. Yes man behind machine matters. i can tell from personal experience.
Why is blk 60 better than blk3 or ce ... A few concrete points will help ..

Better usually does not mean superior

Why is blk 60 better than blk3 or ce ... A few concrete points will help ..

Better usually does not mean superior
one word- Combat experience.
f16 has been in combat since the 70s, any pilot will pick an aircraft that have tasted battle situations over an aircraft which looks like a beast on paper.
There’s a reason PAF have more trust in F16 than other jets in their inventory.

Look dont get me wrong jeff is a really potent aircraft, i will think twice before engaging it but that aircraft has its limitations just like any other.
but when it comes to technically comparing them,firstly both are completely different weight class.

However fighting falcon and dragon are in the same class but i rather compare them once dragon draws its first blood, it needs to prove its mettle.

Mission profiles can be geofenced easily.

Back
Top Bottom