What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

1645210767477.png

Next iteration of JF-17 with a more powerful engine may not be called Mark-IV, but it should be treated as such because that would be the pinnacle of JF-17 evolution.

I agree that J-10C acquisition has put a damper on the JF-17 project, but the planned milestones will not change.

Next iteration of JF-17 with a more powerful engine may not be called Mark-IV, but it should be treated as such because that would be the pinnacle of JF-17 evolution.

I agree that J-10C acquisition has put a damper on the JF-17 project, but the planned milestones will not change.
For now, I think the JF-17's biggest benefits rest in its total cost and its burgeoning strike capability. The PAF is configuring several SOWs to the JF-17 that I don't think we'll see on the J-10CE. IMO, the J-10CE will mostly (if not entirely) be an air-to-air fighter.

If the PAF wants to grow its strike and anti-ship capabilities, it'll keep buying JF-17Bs or Block-3s. It'll continue to do so until a larger NGFA becomes available. IMO, given the scope of upgrades coming through the JF-17B/B3, I think the bulk (if not all) of the Thunder fleet could shift to those models.

When might we see an official design for block 4? And when will it be inducted?

When might we see an official design for block 4? And when will it be inducted?
I don't know. Perhaps never? PAF would be very busy inducting J-10C & if we buy them in numbers (most likely now), we may not be evolving the crap out of JF-17 which is a light weight fighter after all. I am not saying that JF-17 will not evolve. I am saying that incremental improvements may not amount to a block designation. There may be a future Block-IV & I would love to see it. But keep in mind that it may not happen because JF-17 has achieved a certain level of maturity. It would need a bit more powerful engine though.

So, how soon will we see an updated version of JFB3, with WS-13, now that J10s have shown up with WS-10B.

I see no reason why PAF would not opt for a better engine here, given the chance.
I would assume RD-93MA is still happening, it’s Probably just been delayed. Maybe once it’s ready they’ll start putting it on existing JF-17s (starting with block 3s?)
I’ve no doubt PAF will at least try to get a better engine for the JF-17 since that’s the biggest thing holding it back now, wether it’s the WS-13 or the RD-93 remains to be seen. But if the RD-93MA can be ready in time, it still may be the better option. Because it wouldn’t add another type of engine to the PAF considering it’s just an evolution Of the RD-93, otherwise the WS-13 is always an option.

Basically, it doesn’t matter what the better engine is, as long as it gets a better engine, I’d love to see a JF-17 do a Demo with that amount of thrust.

I would assume RD-93MA is still happening, it’s Probably just been delayed. Maybe once it’s ready they’ll start putting it on existing JF-17s (starting with block 3s?)
I’ve no doubt PAF will at least try to get a better engine for the JF-17 since that’s the biggest thing holding it back now, wether it’s the WS-13 or the RD-93 remains to be seen. But if the RD-93MA can be ready in time, it still may be the better option. Because it wouldn’t add another type of engine to the PAF considering it’s just an evolution Of the RD-93, otherwise the WS-13 is always an option.

Basically, it doesn’t matter what the better engine is, as long as it gets a better engine, I’d love to see a JF-17 do a Demo with that amount of thrust.
I'd vote for WS-13, since it's already type-certified in China. Just see no reason anymore, why PAF won't opt for it.

I'd vote for WS-13, since it's already type-certified in China. Just see no reason anymore, why PAF won't opt for it.
Reason might be that the maintenance facility for RD93 is already in place and having two different type of engine will bring complications.

Plenty of reason. PAF has experience using the RD-93 and know it's limits, while the PAC has experience maintaining it.

Introducing a new engine presents plenty of challenges, including added costs, to Pakistan.

Plenty of reason. PAF has experience using the RD-93 and know it's limits, while the PAC has experience maintaining it.

Introducing a new engine presents plenty of challenges, including added costs, to Pakistan.
PAF .. seemingly is betting heavily with Chinese systems across the board, given that view and the future of Sino-Pak ties, won't be surprised at all if they opt for WS-13 over 93MA.

Reason might be that the maintenance facility for RD93 is already in place and having two different type of engine will bring complications.
Let's see, they're going big on Chinese systems across the board, older engines can always be replaced by WS-13 at the time of overhaul. Much like the F-16 program.

So, how soon will we see an updated version of JFB3, with WS-13, now that J10s have shown up with WS-10B.

I see no reason why PAF would not opt for a better engine here, given the chance.
The big hurdle was the level of maturity of Chinese engines. 4 years ago I was told that it would take Chinese engines 3 years to mature to a level acceptable for PAF. The very same contact also said that when that happens, we should expect WS-13E in JF-17 Block-III. I have always been on the lookout for any information along these lines. RD-93 MA is still at least a couple of years away (my opinion). If JF-17 Block-III shows up with WS-13E, I would distribute sweets.

Well that is not too hard to manage as @kursed has said. Its not as though we need to throw everything out of the window. It can be a gradual and phased withdrawal from service without much loss. PAC may need to modify some jigs (if needed) & will draw out the parts inventory. But when & if WS-13 comes in, it would not need immediate overhaul. The complication of having two sets of parts for the two engines can be managed without much problem. Supply Chain complication is not going to be a deal breaker, IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom