What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

No. 18 or No. 20 squadron.

I'm not sure whats the utility for PAF of such an investment. However, the idea sounds attractive.

It is not a hard and fast rule to replace an entire squadron of oldest fighters.

Peshawar and Quetta will get rid of F-7s altogether.

The displaced F-7s will join the existing squadrons at Mianwali. No. 18 and No 20.

There is a fair chance that No. 18. will retire the oldest F-7P's and retain some frames with lower hours.

Lastly, No.2 squadron is to be expanded. it is set to become the largest squadron of PAF as far as.I remember someone mentioning. The workload is simply too much and it might boast a strength of 30-35 jets in 2 years.

Why increase strength of No. 2 and not replace the maritime sqn mirages. Exocet stock can be sent to PN for use with Sea Kings.

I'm not sure whats the utility for PAF of such an investment. However, the idea sounds attractive.

It is not a hard and fast rule to replace an entire squadron of oldest fighters.

The displaced F-7s will join the existing squadrons at Mianwali. No. 18 and No 20.

There is a fair chance that No. 18. will retire the oldest F-7P's and retain some frames with lower hours.

Lastly, No.2 squadron is to be expanded. it is set to become the largest squadron of PAF as far as.I remember someone mentioning. The workload is simply too much and it might boast a strength of 30-35 jets in 2 years.
1_161153_1.jpg

J-6 and J-7 Drones. Even if you dont want want to go high tech can convert these into dummy decoy drones forcing enemy to reveal location of SAMs or expend missiles.
B-6b+++%2528J-6W%2529+drones+2.jpg

images

By the way the ability to control buddy drones is a new feature being researched or expected to be introduced in next gen aircraft. The pilot can guide a drone for the more risky missions. UK/France/Sweden also aiming for this ability on Typhoon/Rafael/Grippen future variants.
Man in the loop cruise missiles are basically kamikaze drones, difference in this case is the drone will take off separately because of its size.
I expect and hope such a feature to be looked at for our JF-17s in future.

Last edited:
Beautiful!
And what keeps other airforces from pursuing drone conversion of old planes is the man power cost that would be charged by companies for conversion and maintenance of those old assets are non feasible. Luckily for PAF since it owns the facilities and the staff is on it's payroll, this would not cost it much. Same reason why rebuilding Mirages and maintaining old F-16s is cheap for PAF, it already employs the workforce.

Keeping to topic, I expect F-7Ps to be next to go once more JF-17s become available.

Also hope PAF dedicate a 1-2 JF-17 for local/international aerobatic display for air shows and events (we already have green one that cant be used for combat). These would also be our sales demo units. Should be a stripped out variant just like Turks have done for solo Turk. The solo Turk F-16 is lighter and capable of more extreme maneuver than a regular F-16. Same jet could normally be dedicated to a training unit for solo flying. Cost wouldn't be a issue since we would be saving our other war ready platforms from added wear and tear as well as risks.

Last edited:
@Haris Ali2140 Don't bring the filth & waste of other forums here. You might be aware we don't appreciate nor allow the same.

Regards,

And what keeps other airforces from pursuing drone conversion of old planes is the man power cost that would be charged by companies for conversion and maintenance of those old assets are non feasible. Luckily for PAF since it owns the facilities and the staff is on it's payroll, this would not cost it much. Same reason why rebuilding Mirages and maintaining old F-16s is cheap for PAF, it already employs the workforce.

Keeping to topic, I expect F-7Ps to be next to go once more JF-17s become available.

Also hope PAF dedicate a 1-2 JF-17 for local/international aerobatic display for air shows and events (we already have green one that cant be used for combat). These would also be our sales demo units. Should be a stripped out variant just like Turks have done for solo Turk. The solo Turk F-16 is lighter and capable of more extreme maneuver than a regular F-16. Same jet could normally be dedicated to a training unit for solo flying. Cost wouldn't be a issue since we would be saving our other war ready platforms from added wear and tear as well as risks.

Thanks for an interesting comment and analysis. I think you are right, PAF should find it relatively easy to convert Mirages and F-7Ps to drones. The old F-6 drone looks amazing.

Now, drones can be used as decoys. Definitely a great idea in the increasingly radar based world. But can one go further and arm them with BVRs? Data fed from other aircraft / AWACs could be used to make such drones launch platforms.

BVR missiles that have a few hours service life left could be used in this role as its essentially a suicide type mission.

I think the PAA would love to have these F-7Ps or Mirages for CAS. Imagine a Cold Start gone wrong with a flight of 20 F-7Ps / Mirages dropping thousands of bomblets and firing A2g munitions. A single pass would turn a Cold Start into a Cold Turkey.

Thanks for an interesting comment and analysis. I think you are right, PAF should find it relatively easy to convert Mirages and F-7Ps to drones. The old F-6 drone looks amazing.

Now, drones can be used as decoys. Definitely a great idea in the increasingly radar based world. But can one go further and arm them with BVRs? Data fed from other aircraft / AWACs could be used to make such drones launch platforms.

BVR missiles that have a few hours service life left could be used in this role as its essentially a suicide type mission.

I think the PAA would love to have these F-7Ps or Mirages for CAS. Imagine a Cold Start gone wrong with a flight of 20 F-7Ps / Mirages dropping thousands of bomblets and firing A2g munitions. A single pass would turn a Cold Start into a Cold Turkey.

F-7 Drones (equipped with a modest aesa radar) could also be sent against enemy Sam sites and force them to give away their positions; where the drone uses its A2G munitions on the Sam battery and in the end crashes into the radar, like a giant harpy drone.

F-7 Drones (equipped with a modest aesa radar) could also be sent against enemy Sam sites and force them to give away their positions; where the drone uses its A2G munitions on the Sam battery and in the end crashes into the radar, like a giant harpy drone.

Basically a drone which acts as a UCAV.

Are all JF 17s which were launched recently operationalized?

Technically possible with AWACs control and acting as weapon trucks. Unfortunately this type of capability if acquired or in progress would be kept a secret.

Work is in progress for a Air to air combat UCAV. Pairing these up with JF-17s would be packing quiet a punch. I'm emphasizing pairing up because long range communications for a man in the loop system wont be possible under jamming environment.

300KG payload doesnt make sense for the 16ton MTOW so probably a typo
Pak UCAV.jpg

Back
Top Bottom