What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

F-7 with 800 litres drop tank it only carries on centerline pylon, while supersonic more slimmer abs pointed nose are carried on wings or centerline as well

IMG_4091.JPG

CFT will add to the drag. Unless we get a more powerful engine i dont think CFT is an option
well only solution to jf17 problem is
10-15% increase in dry thrust+ CFTs+ 1 pod point
rd 93 MA might be bale to deliver that

With 3 fuel tanks and on 4 AAM(2+2) it is severly underarmed.So a CFT solution is required.

CFT will add to the drag. Unless we get a more powerful engine i dont think CFT is an option
CFT induced drag is variable,it can't be and it may be a percentage of drag on centreline fuel tank.
In case of F-15's CFT don't introduce any drag.​
In case of F-16:-
"The flying qualities of the F-16 with CFTs are essentially unchanged when compared to a non-CFT equipped airplane," said Stephen W. Barter, chief F-16 test pilot and company CFT project pilot. "For most combat flight conditions, it's as if the CFTs are not even there. The surest way for me to tell if CFTs are installed is to look over my shoulder."
"The CFTs have very little adverse affect on the F-16's renowned performance," said Maj. Timothy S. McDonald, U.S. Air Force project pilot for CFT testing at Eglin. "The aircraft retains its full 9-g capability and flight envelope with the CFTs installed. The drag impact is very small - less than one percent in combat configuration at cruise conditions."
I doubt in case of JFT we can have CFT's like those on F-16 citing the fact that Viper like over the wing CFT's would interfere with LAREX.

Yes CFT is the only solution
Which place of JFT airframe is capable of accommodating a meaningful amount of load while having almost no drag penalty?
In my opinion dorsal spine like that on Mig-21bison,Mig 29SMT and F-16D is more practical since we have seen it on JFT-B.

conformal tanks are the best way forward.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/why-cant-private-sector-make-cft.523305/page-2

Scroll below and F-6's tanks are there. if they could do it back them on a donkey beast like f6 why not on jf-17
Stated just about the same here:
@MUSTAKSHAF 's thread and proposal is at least worthy of a "tinker" with a dedicated JF17 unit to match Mirage capabilities. I know it is way beyond adding "conformal" gondola tanks to F-6s but so is the technological know-how after years of Mirage rebuilt and JF-17 manufacturing for an Air Force aiming for project Azm.

Which place of JFT airframe is capable of accommodating a meaningful amount of load while having almost no drag penalty?
In my opinion dorsal spine like that on Mig-21bison,Mig 29SMT and F-16D is more practical since we have seen it on JFT-B.

Can you give an example with a pic since I am new to these matters?of dorsal spine.

Last edited:
It’s not air to air role where tanks 800 litres x3 plus 4x sd-10 and 2x pl5e total 6 aam is good load for jf-17 size light fighter

It’s the air to ground role where jf needs at least 2xsd-10 plus 2xpl5 and ground load which only leave one tank of 800 liters or total 3800 liters leading to max less than xxx nautical mile radius
So additional pylons of cft would be needed

20190907_003729.jpg
20190907_003253.jpg
20190907_003512.jpg
20190907_004034.jpg
20190907_003932.jpg
20190907_004146.jpg
20190907_004235.jpg

Dorsal spine contains avionics,fuel,chaff-flare dispenser system etc.Each fighter manufacturer has chosen this for different usage.In case of Mig-29SMT,JFT-B & Mig-21-93 it is used for fuel.In case of Migs this feature was added to increase fuel capacity+chaff-flare dispenser system.

It’s not air to air role where tanks 800 litres x3 plus 4x sd-10 and 2x pl5e total 6 aam is good load for jf-17 size light fighter

It’s the air to ground role where jf needs at least 2xsd-10 plus 2xpl5 and ground load which only leave one tank of 800 liters or total 3800 liters leading to max less than xxx nautical mile radius
So additional pylons of cft would be needed
Fuel tanks do add lot of drag and almost 50% of fuel carried by them is used to overcome that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom