What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

No. J-20 will still see significant development. We might perhaps see an entirely new PLAAF fighter jet.

Is this related to the recent Chinese rumor that the J-20 is set to undergo major changes this year, and might soon become a "5.5 generation" multirole fighter?

Or is it your interpretation of the recent report claiming that PLAAF's 6th-generation aircraft will enter service by 2035?

I know that, I was questioning his statement/logic that they were paid by US military yet we reduced the numbers due to earthquake.

All F16s have been purchased with sovereign funds.

I keep hearing about this max 10~15 day war scenario, probably this is how long we will last, what stops the enemy to go beyond unhindered for just another week and really shaft us for good?

The assumed life saving sanctions will not have the same impact on the enemy, their economy can sustain them for a lot longer and they will take full advantage of it. Any one who goes to a fight assuming that the moment he starts to go down, spectators will save him from total defeat and absolute humiliation has no right to live.

First of, any war between India and Pakistan is unlikely to go beyond 10 days to two weeks at the max. We will be able to fly all our assets for the duration. The sanctions will impact the serviceability after the fact, but wont have any impact on the war itself.

Its also easy for people to criticize with the benefit of hindsight. You can bet your bottom dollar, had it been Pakistan that had caught and handed over OBL, our relationship with the US would be at a completely different level. Lets also not forget, the F-16s were ordered in 2006, and is still our most capable fighter. And the Block 3 is going to be coming circa 2021, that is 15 years after we ordered the new F-16s. That is a long time gap to be without a high end fighter. 18 F-16s for under $1.5B, 60 MLU kits for another $1.3B only is still an awesome bang for the buck. Cost might not be the only thing but its a huge part of it for a broke country.
https://www.defenseindustrydaily.co...es-upgrades-weapons-for-pakistans-f16s-02396/

Another thing to keep in mind is we have no other precision strike aircraft bar the F-16s until just last year when we placed an order for targeting pods for the JF-17. We are also not under any sanctions, and our relationship with the US has its eb and flows. Most likely in the next decade we will be upgrading our Block 52s to the Block 70 standard and that bird will be in PAF colors till 2040. So learn to live with it as theres a long way to go.

Btw, has the PAF set up any overhaul facilities for the RD-93 at Kamra yet? There were talks about it in 2015-2016 but havent read anything concrete since then. Thus in the time of war, its not just the F-16s we have to worry about but we are also dependent on the Russians for the engines for our most numerical fighter.

The assumed life saving sanctions will not have the same impact on the enemy, their economy can sustain them for a lot longer and they will take full advantage of it. Any one who goes to a fight assuming that the moment he starts to go down, spectators will save him from total defeat and absolute humiliation has no right to live.
exactly this is what I believe .... though I may be wrong in my assessment but it seems India is planing to fight a series of battles and small scale war at multiple sectors for a duration longer than the capacity of Pakistan to sustain before the final blow ..... so that before the full thrust diplomatic pressure remain at a certain threshold.

India with her economic and defence resource could sustain these campaigns for longer period of time and if managed well diplomatically this will suit to India in Political, Militarily and to an extent Economically, therefore we might be mistaken to think for a limited war for limited period of time.

I keep hearing about this max 10~15 day war scenario, probably this is how long we will last, what stops the enemy to go beyond unhindered for just another week and really shaft us for good?
The days one country can last in a war depend on many factors so even if we say Pakistan can manage 10 to 15 days on a single front it does not guarantee this if this is increased to two fronts or three where the situation will be different.

BTW no country officially posts on what their true war budget is and the number of days they intend to fight.

One can only comment on what is publicly available. The scenarios of Pakistan v/s India are based on two Nuclear powered countries fighting a conventional war and relying on UN to come in for a ceasefire.

However in the the recent past all the wars that we have seen right from the First Gulf War to the War in Yemen UN has not been able to broker any lasting ceasefires. So the 10-15 days is just hypothetical figure.

IMO 15 days is the maximum time Pakistan would give to any country willing to fight a conventional war any thing above that would be Nuclear hence both First strike and Second Strike capabilities have been fully developed.

exactly this is what I believe .... though I may be wrong in my assessment but it seems India is planing to fight a series of battles and small scale war at multiple sectors for a duration longer than the capacity of Pakistan to sustain before the final blow ..... so that before the full thrust diplomatic pressure remain at a certain threshold.

India with her economic and defence resource could sustain these campaigns for longer period of time and if managed well diplomatically this will suit to India in Political, Militarily and to an extent Economically, therefore we might be mistaken to think for a limited war for limited period of time.
What India is planning is not Pakistan centric rather it is expansionist colonial policies which are forbidden under the UN Charter hence they need to become one of the VETO powers.

The population of India is not interested to fight against China but they can be rallied in masses against Pakistan as they play the Mother India card.

Last edited:
If the Payload has increased to 4500/4800, then has the max takeoff weight also increased or is it at the expense of the fuel ?

PS: Pres. Trump didn't block or cancel the 8 new F-16, it was the Congress during Pres. Obama and Pres. Obama didn't veto the bill.

PS: Pres. Trump didn't block or cancel the 8 new F-16, it was the Congress during Pres. Obama and Pres. Obama didn't veto the bill.
If memory serves, Congress did finally approve the sale to go through (during Obama's tenure), but it was subject to Pakistan financing it themselves.

They (Congress) made it clear that they were not in favor of Pakistan using the FMF (Foreign Military Financing). It was only after that, PAF was able to acquire the F-16 from Jordan.

Source: TheIDiplomat
URL: https://thediplomat.com/2016/06/us-...bad-mulling-jordan-f-16-fighter-jets-instead/

The existing Jordanian f-16 were acquired way before this deal the second trench of Jordanian f-16 was not approved ;)

Trailer23, thank you for the correction, I should have wrote that Congress Blocked the Subsidy and not the sale.

49948452_2047985241921322_6845755541394817024_n.jpg

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom