What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Su30 has not commercially viable option for Pakistan through China. J10 will be the first choice for Pakistan then others like JH7E came. (Keeping 5th Gen aside). Su30 chances are near to zero.

Or maybe PAF is in mood to troll India :p:

49485871_2398560213505096_6254564816497672192_o.jpg

@Windjammer What are these sensors for? Are they part of MAWS system?

View attachment 531232

There are static dischargers (either wicks or rods) at the tips of the wings, stabiliser and fin. They encourage the static build-up on the airframe to bleed off which would otherwise accumulate and cause radio interference, particularly of ADF & HF.
wingtip2.jpg

JF-17 MAWs
89933ebde878f78a2ae5c6024e8adff9147429e7.jpg

There are static dischargers (either wicks or rods) at the tips of the wings, stabiliser and fin. They encourage the static build-up on the airframe to bleed off which would otherwise accumulate and cause radio interference, particularly of ADF & HF.
wingtip2.jpg

JF-17 MAWs
89933ebde878f78a2ae5c6024e8adff9147429e7.jpg

Nice Information!

As it stands, JF-17 Thunders are multi-role combat aircraft. An acquisition of JH-7Es would qualify as a specific role aircraft. My only question would be, that what would Pakistan Air Force prioritize, Gen-4++ to compliment JF-17 Thunders, or a fighter-bomber to assist the JF-17 Thunders? Whichever way you look at it, JH-7Es would most certainly be a good addition to Pakistan Air Force's arsenal. But would this purchase not be a little late in the day?

Future induction of or commitment to any aircraft be it j31 or TFX or j10c or jh7 series should be on hold for about 2/3 years.
Lets see what jf17b and j17 blk 3 has to offer when coupled with an improved rd93ma i.e. more power which is hopefully more efficinet as well.
Once we have a dry and wet thrust figures, along with details like TBOH etc and they turn out to be encouraging then we can start discussions and see to the possibility to have the same engine mated to a j31-P or in best case scenario to a TFX-P in the future.
With a j31-P we can have a PAF specific plateform realtively earlier i. e. by mid to late 20s which can cater to alot of our needs.
Alternatively we can go for a block 4 or JF18/20 what ever u want to call it... which can be a further upgradation of the jf17 project with changes to the airframe e. g. the nose, wingspan, tail etc which basically decreases the radar signature while increasing the payload and internal fuel.
The first and foremost priority after block 3 and jf17b serial production should be an overhaul facility from russia for rd93/rd93ma. Get that via payment or tieing it upto the gas pipeline or anyother contract and u end up with a fighter plane which is on the same path as mirages were in 90s.
I believe that talking of jh7, flankers etc now while the economy is on IV fluids while we try to survive and revive the industry / exports by putting it on gulf steroids will not lead us anywhere. Lets hope for the best for block 3 and B version and pray that we sail through next 2/3 years and then inshallah we can have better and more practical options available to us.

Last edited:
I concur, Pakistan Air Force should be prudent in its defense acquisitions. They must focus on seeing through the JF-17 Thunder program. A wait of 3 years or so, and we would have enough Thunders, including Block-3s. In this time, it is hoped that CPEC would have gained momentum and begin baring fruit. Also, there is good chance that Thunders would have more orders from new customer countries. When these things transpire, Pakistan Air Force would be in a better position to gage which direction it wants to move forward with its acquisition program.

I get that there is an increasing temptation to go for a Gen-4++ fighter jet. But in my view Pakistan Air Force ought to invest in research on near autonomous/fully autonomous UAV/UCAVs, hypersonic missiles, integrated Artificial Computing to link up unmanned systems, AEWs, fighters and Air Defense Network. Building upon such research, implementing and integrating it into the Air Command would take a few good years. But this would be a game changing capability which would in essence evolve the whole concept of Net Centric warfare.

I wish they had slightly changed the designs to make it look more close to modern fighter.

As it stands, JF-17 Thunders are multi-role combat aircraft. An acquisition of JH-7Es would qualify as a specific role aircraft. My only question would be, that what would Pakistan Air Force prioritize, Gen-4++ to compliment JF-17 Thunders, or a fighter-bomber to assist the JF-17 Thunders? Whichever way you look at it, JH-7Es would most certainly be a good addition to Pakistan Air Force's arsenal. But would this purchase not be a little late in the day?

Plane has no future and there is no need to it. We should continue to build block 2 until block 3 is ready.

Future induction of or commitment to any aircraft be it j31 or TFX or j10c or jh7 series should be on hold for about 2/3 years.
Lets see what jf17b and j17 blk 3 has to offer when coupled with an improved rd93ma i.e. more power which is hopefully more efficinet as well.
Once we have a dry and wet thrust figures, along with details like TBOH etc and they turn out to be encouraging then we can start discussions and see to the possibility to have the same engine mated to a j31-P or in best case scenario to a TFX-P in the future.
With a j31-P we can have a PAF specific plateform realtively earlier i. e. by mid to late 20s which can cater to alot of our needs.
Alternatively we can go for a block 4 or JF18/20 what ever u want to call it... which can be a further upgradation of the jf17 project with changes to the airframe e. g. the nose, wingspan, tail etc which basically decreases the radar signature while increasing the payload and internal fuel.
The first and foremost priority after block 3 and jf17b serial production should be an overhaul facility from russia for rd93/rd93ma. Get that via payment or tieing it upto the gas pipeline or anyother contract and u end up with a fighter plane which is on the same path as mirages were in 90s.
I believe that talking of jh7, flankers etc now while the economy is on IV fluids while we try to survive and revive the industry / exports by putting it on gulf steroids will not lead us anywhere. Lets hope for the best for block 3 and B version and pray that we sail through next 2/3 years and then inshallah we can have better and more practical options available to us.

I agree, our focus should be Jf-17 and 5th generation fighter program. As far as economy is concerned, it will take next 5 to 10 years to see some major improvements, don’t expect anything big in next 24 months.
System itself is corrupt, people within establishment, army, police, parliamentarians, judges, etc.
It’s not easy to fix things when system itself is corrupt, look at our agriculture practice, it’s from 1800s, education system, healthcare, security, police, finance (tax collections), too many obstacles in they way to make laws to improve things.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom