What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

49286285_1941505989290019_8433756730575290368_o.jpg

China Seeking To Offload Surplus Military Aircraft
by Vladimir Karnozov
- November 28, 2018, 10:38 AM

China is intent on selling off a number of technologically advanced aircraft, including radar platforms and interdiction and attack aircraft that apparently have fallen short of People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) expectations after just a few years of operational service. After being decommissioned, the aircraft have been handed over to Poly Technologies, a company licensed by the government, for rework into exportable versions and subsequent release to would-be foreign clients.

During the 12th China International Aviation & Aerospace Exhibition, better known as Airshow China 2018, held earlier this month in Zhuhai, the company had a large outdoor exhibition to showcase its wares. Large-format banners and posters were devoted to the KJ-200, JH-7, A-5, J-7, and K-8, describing them as decommissioned equipment available to interested foreign countries after repair, upgrade, and rebuild.

While the Chengdu J-7 and Hongdu A-5 and K-8 have been in PLAAF service for many years and are considered obsolete, the KJ-200 and JH-7 represent modern and still highly capable aircraft. Most intriguing is the offer of the Shaanxi KJ-200 airborne early warning aircraft, which entered PLAAF service as recently as 2009. Based on the platform of the Shaanxi Y-8, a localized Antonov An-12 transport, the KJ-200 features a large active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar mounted above the fuselage in a manner resembling the Saab Erieye. According to Poly Technologies, the system can detect, identify, and track aerial and seagoing targets with a compensation for ground clutter, and provides situational awareness, command, and control functions.

It seems that a handful of KJ-200s have become redundant after the more advanced KJ-500, based on the evolved Y-9 platform, became operational in 2015. While similar in dimensions, the newer 65-tonne-gross weight aircraft is attributed to the next generation and differs in having a non-rotating circular dome with three AESA arrays in place of the KJ-200’s balanced beam antenna.

Poly Technologies is also promoting the Shenyang JH-7 interdiction aircraft that has had a production run of some 270 copies, most of which remain operable. Developed in the 1980s, the initial version gave ground for development of the far more advanced JH-7А, which became operational in 2004. Apart from being China’s first computer-aided design, the 28.5-tonne jet featured a glass cockpit and digital fly-by-wire flight control system. Most of the earlier airframes were upgraded to the JH-7A standard.

Poly Technologies describes the aircraft as a twin-engine, tandem-seat, supersonic fighter-bomber able to carry a bombload of up to 6.5 tonnes and capable of long-range strikes with precision-guided munitions. The type was briefly marketed for export as the FBC-1 Flying Leopard, but all production examples went to the PLAAF and PLANAF (Chinese naval aviation). Now, with Shenyang having mastered production of the Sukhoi Su-30 twin-seat multirole fighter as the J-16, the JH-7A is being phased out and thus has become available for export.
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-...ina-seeking-offload-surplus-military-aircraft
t01fa8141302ecb190c.jpg
t01c10c03ec5d6b385a.jpg

U r countering with a picture? How's that even an argument? Did I deny JH7E?

The article clearly states that China is wanting to phase out its JH7's in favor of flankers...and these JH7s will be "repaired, upgraded, rebuilt" for the purpose of exports...that's JH7E. Care to counter with something concrete?

U r countering with a picture? How's that even an argument? Did I deny JH7E?

The article clearly states that China is wanting to phase out its JH7's in favor of flankers...and these JH7s will be "repaired, upgraded, rebuilt" for the purpose of exports...that's JH7E. Care to counter with something concrete?
In China, it means a lot.

In China, it means a lot.
That article is actually based on that Zhuhai 2018 show and JH7E. So I'm not sure how u r exactly countering what the article is claiming. In any case...right now in light of that news article I posted, I believe China will phase out its JH7s in favor of flankers(if there are export orders for JH7s). So unless u or anyone else can show me some other news article that negates this one...this remains the source of knowledge about the fate of JH7 in Chinese inventory.

I was just thinking along the lines of JH7 as per Mastan's suggestion of a low flying jet for strike role. JH7's engine were based on the Spey engine made specifically for low flying, this low flying ability has its advantages to avoid radar detection. I do agree that JH7 is quite old and the Chinese have moved on. Though they might have chosen J11 over continuing with JH7 bcuz of a different doctrine, this doesn't necessarily mean Pak has no need for such a jet as JH7. However JH7 production line has ceased, which does close the door on Pak in terms of acquiring a jet for the specific purpose of low flying strike role.

Hi,

The chinese have produced new weapons systems---. They are forced to induct their new weapons system to justify their manufacture.

Just like in the US----the air force is forced to induct the F35 in place of the A10---.

Is the life of the A10 over---can the F35 do a better job than the A10---absolutely not---then why---it is just to justify why the money was spent.

But then otoh---the B52's are being re-furbished for modern weapons---why---because its replacement the B2 is too expensive to fly and maintain---.

So---neither the J11---J15-16---SU35 or 34 can do what the JH7A can do for the value received---.

The design & flight parameters of the JH7A perfectly suits our geographical environment---when cost is considered---.

Hi,

The chinese have produced new weapons systems---. They are forced to induct their new weapons system to justify their manufacture.

Just like in the US----the air force is forced to induct the F35 in place of the A10---.

Is the life of the A10 over---can the F35 do a better job than the A10---absolutely not---then why---it is just to justify why the money was spent.

But then otoh---the B52's are being re-furbished for modern weapons---why---because its replacement the B2 is too expensive to fly and maintain---.

So---neither the J11---J15-16---SU35 or 34 can do what the JH7A can do for the value received---.

The design & flight parameters of the JH7A perfectly suits our geographical environment---when cost is considered---.
I don't think it's to justify the cost. They certainly have the resources to operate JH7 and the flankers. They are currently doing just that. I think it has more to do with a shift in their doctrine. With stealth aircraft being available like the J20, which is also capable of carrying heavy loads...the necessity of having to rely on low flying aircraft to avoid radar detection isn't as important to them anymore.

China has a huge land mass and it needs aircraft with long range that can also carry heavy loads...the flankers, J20, and JH7s all fit the bill for this. While flankers and J20 are multirole, JH7 is rather specialized. Taking into account J20 being able to pick up the role of penetrating enemy defenses(through stealth means rather than low flying), they can streamline and make it easier on themselves by just operating flankers and J20.

This is a fine strategy keeping future combats in mind. In a war like scenario J20 can be the tip of the spear for offense, taking out enemy defenses by being able to penetrate deeper due to stealth and using long range missiles...while flankers can defend closer to home supported by ground radars/SAM systems/etc...once air superiority is established then the flankers along with J20 can go on the offense completely dominating enemy airspace. The flankers can also serve as missile trucks and J20 can guide the missiles launched from a flanker or a drone. Drones like sharp sword will also come into play. A J20 can fly in with stealth drones...either to swarm, or the drones might act like a "wild weasel" type of jet laced with EW equipment. The possibilities are many and this allows to adjust and counter each situation that comes up. Aircrafts that aren't multirole and rather specialize in certain roles are fast becoming a thing of the past. To an air force like China's with no shortage of funding...they can(and are) march on ahead to meet their future needs.

Last edited:
Hi,
Sir can i ask a question.if china has surplus JH-7A in their inventory,then what will be the price per aircraft if Pakistan has willing to buy them. and how many they want to sale.thanks.
I dont know...I'm a civilian just like u. All I know is according to this article, China wants to export its JH7s that it currently has and use flankers for its own use.

How many JH7 China have? What upgrades they received? How much life is left on them? On what price they are available? Too many questions :p:

I dont know...I'm a civilian just like u. All I know is according to this article, China wants to export its JH7s that it currently has and use flankers for its own use.

How many JH7 China have? What upgrades they received? How much life is left on them? On what price they are available? Too many questions :p:
I don't have those answers. I'm sure if a country is interested in purchase, they can inquire from the appropriate authorities.
Oye yaar pehle article parh lo phir tasweerein dekhte rehna.

Read my post...it has a link to an article talking about this JH7 shown at Zhuhai 2018 show. The one u r posting the picture of.
JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

I dont think Pakistan is interesting in any strike platform ... we are more concerned with air defense right now ... with even increasing numeric and technological gap with indian airforce diverting funds on strike is not the priority right now ...

We want an air superiority heavy fighter to take on against rafael to fill the number gaps of air superiority fighters ... we are right now confused between delivery timelines of project azm and the urgent requirement of upgrading f16s to viper standard ... if we failled to get viper upgrafe then we will be in deep shit in 3 to 4 years time ...

Thunder block 3 is a big bet but details yet to be confirmed ... its still a light weight fighter ...

I dont think Pakistan is interesting in any strike platform ... we are more concerned with air defense right now ... with even increasing numeric and technological gap with indian airforce diverting funds on strike is not the priority right now ...

We want an air superiority heavy fighter to take on against rafael to fill the number gaps of air superiority fighters ... we are right now confused between delivery timelines of project azm and the urgent requirement of upgrading f16s to viper standard ... if we failled to get viper upgrafe then we will be in deep shit in 3 to 4 years time ...

Thunder block 3 is a big bet but details yet to be confirmed ... its still a light weight fighter ...
If Pak can get the upgrade on its F16s then along with JF17 block 3, PAF would be potent enough to meet any challenges for a few decades giving enough time for Azm to be inducted.

Right now under Trump would be the perfect time too since he would allow it if Pakistan was paying for it. However it's going to be costly. Keeping in mind the current economy and the threat of sanctions makes it unlikely.

If Pak can get the upgrade on its F16s then along with JF17 block 3, PAF would be potent enough to meet any challenges for a few decades giving enough time for Azm to be inducted.

Right now under Trump would be the perfect time too since he would allow it if Pakistan was paying for it. However it's going to be costly. Keeping in mind the current economy and the threat of sanctions makes it unlikely.
Exactly ... actually india has given the lolypop of F16 production line to US therefore any decision on this will take time ... another route could be in the form of getting permission from US to get upgrades from turkey as turkey is also working on aesa radar on its f16 ...

Actually PAF is hopeful of gettong V upgrade eventually thats why they are not much worried about rafael ... thunder block 3 will be an overkill for mki as block 2 is already capable to take on mki ... the real problem will be the adjustment of number gap ...

Back
Top Bottom