What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

45 Minutes. As claimed by some PAF official in Warnes interviews.
I came across 45 minute figure for time it takes to swap an engine on JF-17. Time to attach the IFR probe might be less.

Jordanian King witnessed JF-17 thunder aerobatics before leaving as well. They are one of potential customers or not?

This same aircraft was on static display at Nur Khan base today supporting the IFR Probe.

Courtesy: History of PIA

27073399_399397583841409_6373866778629730820_n-png.452345

ptv-feb9e.jpg

ptv-feb9h.jpg

Hi,

Technically---NO---.

Just because an item is smaller---does not necessarily mean lesser time---unless designed as such.

The engine is intially designed for a quick release---quick swap---.

This IFR mount is not designed in that manner---. As we see the picture of the JF17---the place for the IFR mount does not appear to have a quick mount capability either---.

Hi,

Technically---NO---.

Just because an item is smaller---does not necessarily mean lesser time---unless designed as such.

The engine is intially designed for a quick release---quick swap---.

This IFR mount is not designed in that manner---. As we see the picture of the JF17---the place for the IFR mount does not appear to have a quick mount capability either---.

Based on the below pic. IFR probe attachment
27337248_1623197277766155_5129834904985625997_n-jpg.452344
and detachment is a matter of attaching or detaching a panel. Internally plumbing is there right up to that panel where IFR probe is attached

@Bratva @Chak Bamu
How much increase in range JFT can have by,adding dorsel spine like B into A model.
I made some calculations a few months ago. I can not recall them right now, but you could search for them on this thread I think.

If you find them, please let me know too... LOL.

Edit: While I do recall making calculations, I can not find a post of mine at PDF that deals with the subject. I've looked at SDF also, but there is nothing there too from me about this. I can only conclude that I made a calculation but did not share it. I must have been unsure about assumptions made.

Last edited:
I made some calculations a few months ago. I can not recall them right now, but you could search for them on this thread I think.

If you find them, please let me know too... LOL.

Edit: While I do recall making calculations, I can not find a post of mine at PDF that deals with the subject. I've looked at SDF also, but there is nothing there too from me about this. I can only conclude that I made a calculation but did not share it. I must have been unsure about assumptions made.
Leave calculations aside,will you shed some lights on advantages of such modefication,I recall PAF modefied shenyang F-6 by mounting Gondola Belly Tank.
One i know is getting rid of Drop Tanks,which in case of JFT impose a drag penality and occupy 3 vital stations.

@Bratva @Chak Bamu
How much increase in range JFT can have by,adding dorsel spine like B into A model.

I think its initial flight time was 45-60 minutes. If you add another center line fuel tank worth of fuel through CFT, etc, add another 15 minutes I'd guess. IFR refueling option would obviously double or even triple the air-born time. But you'd have to train your pilots to be able to sustain that much physical exhaustion in one long flight. Currently, the PAF is used to an hour - hour and half (approx time to Indian border and back) in interdiction ops.

I think its initial flight time was 45-60 minutes. If you add another center line fuel tank worth of fuel through CFT, etc, add another 15 minutes I'd guess. IFR refueling option would obviously double or even triple the air-born time. But you'd have to train your pilots to be able to sustain that much physical exhaustion in one long flight. Currently, the PAF is used to an hour - hour and half (approx time to Indian border and back) in interdiction ops.

Completely wrong. Thunders have been flown all the way from Pakistan to China for for Shaheen VI. Similarly for performances in Saudi military exercises, Dubai airshow, Paris airshow etc. Don't spread misinformation on the forum.

Yet they flew the atlantic Journey with Aerial refuelling comfortably while being out of this “comfort zone”

@Bratva @Chak Bamu

Hi,

You can have dorsal spine for electronics---just add conformal fuel tanks.

First you have to find out---how many pounds fuel would the dorsal spine hold---. If you know the burn rate per pound---for how many minutes---that would give you the answer---.

Back
Top Bottom