What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saudi Prince Bandar, China, DF-21, DF-31 and JF-17

July 14, 2014

Secretary-General of the Saudi National Security Council (NSC) Prince Bandar Bin Sultan Bin Abdulaziz, who also acts as the King’s Adviser and Special Envoy, is said to have been tasked again to make contacts with China and Pakistan on armament issues. The following 376-word report sheds light on these contacts and tells what about the DF-21 and DF-31 ballistic missiles and the JF-17 Thunder jet.

LOGIN to buy this article.

Tactical Report - Saudi Prince Bandar, China, DF-21, DF-31 and JF-17

July 14, 2014

Secretary-General of the Saudi National Security Council (NSC) Prince Bandar Bin Sultan Bin Abdulaziz, who also acts as the King’s Adviser and Special Envoy, is said to have been tasked again to make contacts with China and Pakistan on armament issues. The following 376-word report sheds light on these contacts and tells what about the DF-21 and DF-31 ballistic missiles and the JF-17 Thunder jet.

Dated 14th july. So fairly recent. I think there may be something going on and the Saudi Govtt.is finally taking the next step of indegenization. This if true ( and still a big if) would be a fantastic step forward for the JFT. Lets see what happens. I still think nothing may transpire till 2016 when block 3 comes out and the Saudis may go for that.
Araz

Is it me or JF-17 structure seems fatigued

Quality of construction. The aircraft is given strength only in the critical areas, the other places tend to show wear and tear more over time. Also, the aircraft is being pushed beyond its limits for the early airframe while T&E is carried out. Hence, wear and tear is more than usual. The early F-16's for e.g. wore out faster than the later ones since they were with the tactics development branch of the USAF and went through more punishment than other airframes. Same goes for the Navy's F-16Ns.

Quality of construction. The aircraft is given strength only in the critical areas, the other places tend to show wear and tear more over time. Also, the aircraft is being pushed beyond its limits for the early airframe while T&E is carried out. Hence, wear and tear is more than usual. The early F-16's for e.g. wore out faster than the later ones since they were with the tactics development branch of the USAF and went through more punishment than other airframes. Same goes for the Navy's F-16Ns.

Saheb,

There is no tear or less ok frame. All frames need to be in certain condition so the plane can be used as required. The dirty parts are due to flying and it gets dirty if you fly in dusty area, rainy area or sea... Just look at commercial planes and you will see the same. In some professions this copying of dirt is called "WEATHERING"... That must explain some what the explanation must be.

Saheb,

There is no tear or less ok frame. All frames need to be in certain condition so the plane can be used as required. The dirty parts are due to flying and it gets dirty if you fly in dusty area, rainy area or sea... Just look at commercial planes and you will see the same. In some professions this copying of dirt is called "WEATHERING"... That must explain some what the explanation must be.

There is a difference in weathering, and there is a difference in structural fatigue huzoor.
Let me show you a picture and the associated reply from a GD F-16 engineer .

JF17-Thunder.jpg

The ripples appear to be the result of thin sheet metal construction of the LERX. That area would have a high air pressure during a pull up. A better construction (but more expensive) would be a thicker skin or a honeycomb skin. The thin metal may have enough strength to hold the load, but it really looks bad.

Similar cost cutting has gone in throughout the airframe to ensure just enough tolerance.

July 14, 2014

:omghaha:

There is a difference in weathering, and there is a difference in structural fatigue huzoor.
Let me show you a picture and the associated reply from a GD F-16 engineer .

JF17-Thunder.jpg

Similar cost cutting has gone in throughout the airframe to ensure just enough tolerance.

Thank you saheb for your fast reply...

Everything is done with expected pressure, safety margin and allowed damage... So that must be a wise answer. Surely the GD engineer must know a lot more then both if us... But if you have JF17 designed that can handle 9.9 G with safety up to say 12.5 G. Would you add honeycomb everywhere to add say 300 Kg? There is a rule that explains that every kg less weight is same impacts as square more thrust... These rimples are there but are gone when plane is flying normal again. And every plane is having these damages. Just ask you GD engineer about why the do lots of non destructive testing... Why do they accept corrosion or damage when its within certain range? I mean, is it needed? They could design a much better plane? It all has to do with having minimal weight to do the job.

Anyway, I have seen these rimples from B52, B1, SU27, SU30 etc etc...

Dated 14th july. So fairly recent. I think there may be something going on and the Saudi Govtt.is finally taking the next step of indegenization. This if true ( and still a big if) would be a fantastic step forward for the JFT. Lets see what happens. I still think nothing may transpire till 2016 when block 3 comes out and the Saudis may go for that.
Araz

Lets look at recent purchases, Kingdom bought/ordered Chinese drones even though saudis have access to both US and European UAV/small UCAVs. Although my personal opinion is their money would go towards more Typhoons but lets assume/speculate they have certain requirements which Block III may fullfill but at the end of the day they could just walk away.
Is it true someone said Block III has diamond shaped nose cone.

Lets look at recent purchases, Kingdom bought/ordered Chinese drones even though saudis have access to both US and European UAV/small UCAVs. Although my personal opinion is their money would go towards more Typhoons but lets assume/speculate they have certain requirements which Block III may fullfill but at the end of the day they could just walk away.
Is it true someone said Block III has diamond shaped nose cone.

Its safe to say that Block III upgrade and specs will depend upon how much money is put into it. Getting KSA on-board will be a big boost. Frontal stealth would be a very good addition to its capabilities, leaving only the RCS of missiles carried. Another would be EJ-200 jet engine and a number of attendant improvements (fuel, range, load, weight). One could go on, but then all this is so premature.

Its safe to say that Block III upgrade and specs will depend upon how much money is put into it. Getting KSA on-board will be a big boost. Frontal stealth would be a very good addition to its capabilities, leaving only the RCS of missiles carried. Another would be EJ-200 jet engine and a number of attendant improvements (fuel, range, load, weight). One could go on, but then all this is so premature.

EJ-2000 expensive engine but saudis can afford it but would B.A.E allow it to be tested in PAC/Pakistan I doubt, the fear of Chinese Engineers getting close to it they won't allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom