What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear if we equip thunder with double barrel shotguns at all its seven points and market it as ultimate houbara bustard hunt machine package for Arabs along with of 2 years of free hunt. I bet people like you wouldn't agree with its sales potential or capabilities of the aircraft in that configuration/role either :)

I would agree with you that such a configuration optimized for hunting might sell better to Arab customers. :D

Seriously though, building up inventory and integrating the JF-17 into PAF, while pushing for development as can be afforded should be the prime goals for now, instead of export success.

2. The news about Burma was based on a questionable source. We shall see in the future.

Most claims about export deals regarding the JF-17 are tenuous. As you say, we shall see, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

10563011_271780819693417_5815755266709608747_n.jpg

Most claims about export deals regarding the JF-17 are tenuous. As you say, we shall see, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Neither of us are, it seems. I do not take export stories seriously any more. We keep telling everyone how Block III is going to have this or that. Why would anyone consider Block I or II? So, export will happen - just probably not now.

Neither of us are, it seems. I do not take export stories seriously any more. We keep telling everyone how Block III is going to have this or that. Why would anyone consider Block I or II? So, export will happen - just probably not now.

It depends on so many factors what will be in. But also we need to see what will be developed in the next few years for fc20/J30/J31 and if these products can me made smaller to fit in JF17. What we will see is laser weapon next to chaff flare to confuse missiles. As you know many AAM have laser proximity fuses... I do not think I have to explain more. We will hopefully see this for J20 and hopefully for our block3. I cannot tell much about what will be exactly in it. I have no clue. No one will share that info. Not now. Not even till 2017. But we can be sure that new weapons will be added. New avionics will be installed. That is the whole idea of building a newer block every 3-5 years.

Turkey 2011...

Agreed.

Once Blocks 1 and 2 are fully integrated and have proven themselves in service, any future Blocks with updates would stand a much better chance at export success. While that would be desirable, the JF-17 program does not depend on exports for success. It is already serving PAF admirably and will do so for a long time to come, exports or no exports. I would hazard a guess that this plane will never have CFTs or a diamond "stealth" front section or extensive major structural composites, but its avionics and armament suite would certainly be competitive well into the future. Later versions might have a better engine, or they may not, that I would not be able to guess. (Of course, its competitors will also improve by then.)

Overall, some export success will be likely at some point in the future, but not assured by any means.

It depends on so many factors what will be in. But also we need to see what will be developed in the next few years for fc20/J30/J31 and if these products can me made smaller to fit in JF17. What we will see is laser weapon next to chaff flare to confuse missiles. As you know many AAM have laser proximity fuses... I do not think I have to explain more. We will hopefully see this for J20 and hopefully for our block3. I cannot tell much about what will be exactly in it. I have no clue. No one will share that info. Not now. Not even till 2017. But we can be sure that new weapons will be added. New avionics will be installed. That is the whole idea of building a newer block every 3-5 years.

Turkey 2011...

Info on what that laser fuze defence mechanism is can be found here.
Northrop Develops Laser Missile Jammer For F-35 | Defense content from Aviation Week
Directional Infrared Counter Measures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Common Infrared Countermeasures program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Long story short, Newer missiles with their dual band and imaging seekers are much less susceptible to flares. The PAF also has certain missiles with this capability. To combat this new threat, the idea was to fit a laser on a gimbal that is cued by various sensors on the aircraft to fire a laser beam at the seeker itself...much like putting a laser pointer into someone's eyes; and just as that blinds a person, this blinds a missiles seeker.

Agreed.

Once Blocks 1 and 2 are fully integrated and have proven themselves in service, any future Blocks with updates would stand a much better chance at export success. While that would be desirable, the JF-17 program does not depend on exports for success. It is already serving PAF admirably and will do so for a long time to come, exports or no exports. I would hazard a guess that this plane will never have CFTs or a diamond "stealth" front section or extensive major structural composites, but its avionics and armament suite would certainly be competitive well into the future. Later versions might have a better engine, or they may not, that I would not be able to guess. (Of course, its competitors will also improve by then.)

Overall, some export success will be likely at some point in the future, but not assured by any means.

Vcheng,

What did you eat man----you re being real now. Paf did bad thing by advertising the sale of this of this aircrft----they would have had much more success if they had kept their mouths silent over the sales issue and let the capabiliites of the aicrft do the talking---.

This would have been the prefered approach---flight displays---weapons displays---air show display and then keep mum---keeping it simple stupid---KISS.

There are some nations who would be happy with the BLK1 ---BLK1 is leaps and bound ahead of what they have now.

has anyone spoken to an PAF pilots who've flown the JF-17 how have they said it compares to other fighter jets like the F-16 etc.

has anyone spoken to an PAF pilots who've flown the JF-17 how have they said it compares to other fighter jets like the F-16 etc.

Yes, that has been published many times. The pilots think the interface is just as easy to manage and the plane works very well with every command issued. In fact some thought JFT was easier to handle than the -16. I don't know if I agree to it but then I've never flown a JFT. But I do know, technologically, the -16 is more advanced. JFT does give similar capabilities to the PAF but it's still considered a lower tech fighter with some nice, higher tech avionics and weapons.

Yes, that has been published many times. The pilots think the interface is just as easy to manage and the plane works very well with every command issued. In fact some thought JFT was easier to handle than the -16. I don't know if I agree to it but then I've never flown a JFT. But I do know, technologically, the -16 is more advanced. JFT does give similar capabilities to the PAF but it's still considered a lower tech fighter with some nice, higher tech avionics and weapons.
i Know that the JF-17 is still early in its life, and hopefully later models will fill the gap but wasn't the whole purpose of the project to give PAF a BVR platform which its currently lacking in the F-16s?? won't this make a major change in the concept of how the PAF operates, they seem to be stuck in WVR engagements and have not trained in the BVR arena?

i Know that the JF-17 is still early in its life, and hopefully later models will fill the gap but wasn't the whole purpose of the project to give PAF a BVR platform which its currently lacking in the F-16s?? won't this make a major change in the concept of how the PAF operates, they seem to be stuck in WVR engagements and have not trained in the BVR arena?

The -16 already has BVR and the older one's are almost done with MLU so they'll have BVR too. The JFT was designed for Pakistan's own requirements to have a cheaper mid-tech platform, but yet capable and multi-role so that it can be produced in numbers and can be assigned daily tasks. While the -16's will have a specialized role focusing on interception and deep strike (Block 52, CFT's). But as China rapidly progressed and came up with 5th Gen technologies, which were then made smaller for the J-10 A and B, are now being added to the JFT. So in the next couple of years, the JFT (in my opinion) will be little behind the -16 block 52. But it'll be almost on par with the block 40, which in my understanding is pretty advanced for Pakistan. Majority of Indian jets (main threat for the PAF) can be handled with a plane that's similar to -16 block 40 (such as Mirage 2k, Mig variants, Jaguars, Harriers, etc. ). SU-30 and Rafale (to be), will be of higher quality and the -16's ADF and block 2's will be tasked in dealing with these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom