What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an expert on INS, but my prof (ex RCAF Aviantech) once mentioned this "time" problem is with the hornets as well. However he also mentioned that Mechanical gyros are not being used on newer platforms, everyone's moving to Laser or Solid state gyros.
If that is the case then why is Jf-17 is using mechanical gyros? is there an advantage of some sort?
As far as i know they're not cheap as well, $50K a pop.

$50k for a mechanical gyro? Can you link me to the supplier, that is exorbitant!

If that is the case then why is Jf-17 is using mechanical gyros? is there an advantage of some sort?

From the official PAC website on the JF-17:
Ring laser gyro inertial navigation system tied with GPS

Where did you get the Mechanical gyro from?

I'm not an expert on INS, but my prof (ex RCAF Aviantech) once mentioned this "time" problem is with the hornets as well. However he also mentioned that Mechanical gyros are not being used on newer platforms, everyone's moving to Laser or Solid state gyros.

Gyro costs are relative to their accuracy with respect to time. You can find cheaper ones if accuracy is not concerned. On the other hand the Inertial management units and Gyro in Submarines are worth millions because you need them to be accurate and under the surface GPS cannot be used to re-align.

You can find cheaper INS for 1000$ as well, but their accuracy is shyt after the first 10 mins. So they are good for hobby projects but not real time combat vessels.

...If that is the case then why is Jf-17 is using mechanical gyros? is there an advantage of some sort?

The presentation in post #2502 is saying "Laser INS".

Takbir PGM specs courtesy Usayd...also, as per sources, it is an indigenous effort with no relation to Chinese pgms

System Specifications

Mass < 300 kg

Launch Velocity M=0.8

Release Altitude 30000 ft

Estimated Range 50-60 km

Accuracy (AHRS with GPS) CEP<20m

Shelf life min. 15years

Flight Time ? 5 minutes

Interface RS422/MIL-STD 1760

Takbir PGM specs courtesy Usayd...also, as per sources, it is an indigenous effort with no relation to Chinese pgms

System Specifications

Mass < 300 kg

Launch Velocity M=0.8

Release Altitude 30000 ft

Estimated Range 50-60 km

Accuracy (AHRS with GPS) CEP<20m

Shelf life min. 15years

Flight Time ? 5 minutes

Interface RS422/MIL-STD 1760

I saw a poster for FT series with range unto 90 KMs if Takbir did involve some tech transfer from FT series than the range can be up to 90 KMs.

reminder from farnborough 2010, for some forgettfuls

EQjSFe5.jpg

Reactions: HRK
$50k for a mechanical gyro? Can you link me to the supplier, that is exorbitant!

the one my teacher brought was from a Canadair CT-114 Tutor. $50K could be the price from the 80s.

the one my teacher brought was from a Canadair CT-114 Tutor. $50K could be the price from the 80s.

That's crazy! I have one that I picked up from a garage sale. It's from a WW2 era British bomber, bought it for 30 dollars. It wouldn't be hard to replicate for less than a few thousand dollars, in my opinion.

The principles have remained the same.

Last edited:
What is the Kanwa Defense Review (Jan 2014) article saying?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom