What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the initial batches of 8, then subsequently switched to KLJ-10 with a better performance (track 10 engage 2, look-up range 75km, look-down range 45km for RCS=3m2). A European high performance radar (e.g. Italian Vixen 1000ES AESA) has been planned in later batches

If this is true then expect thunders to stand in the high league.

I thought those figures were for KLJ-7 radar??!!

KLJ-7/10 Fire Control Radar (FCR) (China) - Jane's Avionics

The KLJ-7 Fire Control Radar (FCR), also referred to as Type 1478, employs a mechanically-scanned, phased-array antenna and is the main radar set for the Chengdu Aircraft Industries/Pakistan Aeronautical Complex FC-1/JF-17 fighter aircraft. A derivative of the KLJ-7, and likely employing a larger diameter array, the KLJ-10/J-10A, is believed to have been installed in the Chengdu J-10 fighter aircraft.In terms of development, the J-7 is reportedly similar in basic design to Phazotron N010 Zhuk family of radars; both Phazotron NIIR and rival radar house NIIP have worked closely in the past with Chinese radar design bureaux and provided technical assistance as well as operational models of Russia-made radar sets that were used as benchmarks in the process of Chinese firms developing their own designs. Nanjing have also reportedly drawn on the Galileo Avionica/Finmeccanica Grifo and the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) Elta-2032 in developing their own radar designs. While the basic configuration of the J-7 may be similar to that of the Zhuk family, Nanjing utilises Chinese-made electronic components, multi-layered circuit boards, etc.The J-7 has multiple modes, both Beyond Visual Range (BVR) and close-in air-to-air modes, ground surveillance and a robust anti-jamming capability, according to Chinese sources. The radar can reportedly manage up to 40 targets, monitor up to 10 of them in Track-While-Scan (TWS) mode and can engage two targets simultaneously at BVR. The detection range for targets with an radar-cross section of up to 3 square metres is 75 km look-up, or 35 km in look-down mode.

KLJ-10 should be greater.

Last edited:
Actually they are greater.

The specs available on the net are at least 2 to 3 years old. Both KLJ-7 and KLJ-10 have have improved specs as compared to what is being available on the net and online brochures.

Can you find a source that says they have better specs.

Last edited:
Can you find a source that says they have better specs.

So far the sources are the people who have inside limited knowledge, meaning have relatives or friends who are attached to the program.

Publicly no source yet available to give the real figures of the radar, they are still the 4-5 year old ones.

Thank you for explaining that so well.

Couldn't have done any better myself.

To Jigs:

Actually the general buzz about the Thunder amongst the PAF ranks and the pilots is very good.

5ba09bab373a3dc9fa515865239aa22a.jpg

Any improvements in PT-06? :undecided: :undecided:

so what did happened the deal of JF 17 avionics is that back on track with french or we are in talks with UK and italy to replace it

Hi Mr. Luftwaffe, in the latest issues of AFM, there is a large article on the PAF. In it, it is repeatedly mentioned by the Chief of Air Staff PAF, that the deal is still on for French avionics, and reports of it being canceled were not true. However, as one knows the PAF is very tight lipped and does not announce thing, until after the fact.

My personal opinion is that the PAF should avoid the French deal, or at least for the radar. Thales was only offering the RC400, not an AESA radar. Also, who knows how much technology transfer the PAF will get. China is a more reliable partner, and willing to share technology.

India also has some of those avionics. I clearly remember reading the IAF MiG-29K Naval version had a French helmet mounted display. Take care.

I have just done an exercise and measured the radar antena to be about 660mm using the two images below.

311uphi.jpg

k4un0z.jpg

I invite other members to try, maybe with better accuracy and see if we agree:

1. The MFD in the 1st photo is supposed to be 6" wide X 8" tall.
  2. I cropped out the MFD and ended up with a 87 X 128 pixel image.
  3. This meant on my computer I was getting about 15 pixels per inch when I average the two dimensions.
  4. I included the whole assembly face, including the soft keys as much as I know that for TVs and PCs the display dimension is only for the actual screen. This is where I think we can debate.
  5. I then measured the WIDTH of the HUD that is to the left of the MFD and got 90 pixels.
  6. I then went to the second picture and measured the WIDTH of the HUD panel again and got about 91 pixels. I concluded the two photos are at the same magnification = 15 pixels per inch.
  7. I then went and cropped only the radar antena AT 45 degree so I avoid the large flats and got an image of 385 pixels X 385 pixels.
  8. 385/15 = 25.7 inches = 653mm.
Accounting for my errors and that the photos are not head-on, I believe the antena is 660mm.

If I assume the 6"x8" of the MFD to be the display only excluding the soft keys, I get a display resolution of 12 pixels/inche and I end up with an antena of about 800mm! ...???

I welcome critism.

Last edited:
Good effort Tempest.

Well with nearly a 664mm nose cone, the radar antenna would be somewhere close to the 650mm figure or so.

After initial 8, radar was switched to klj-10 and today we have one operational squadron which will become 2 by the year end.

Chinese Military Aviation | China Air Force

Its heartfelt to see Thunders becoming a potent weapon.
Had couple of questions, would Thunders be switching their engines after the first block to WS-13, is PAF monitoring the WS-13 performance?
Do you think a twin seater JF-17 is in pipeline, have not heard anything concrete on this matter.

Its heartfelt to see Thunders becoming a potent weapon.
Had couple of questions, would Thunders be switching their engines after the first block to WS-13, is PAF monitoring the WS-13 performance?
Do you think a twin seater JF-17 is in pipeline, have not heard anything concrete on this matter.

Yeah as soon as the WS-13 is ready for operational use, PAF will start to get them. As reported a prototype of FC-1 with WS-13 had done its taxi runs way back in March 2010, thus its been nearly 3 months since then, by now hopefully, the flight trials would be in progress.

By next year, the WS-13 engines status would be clarified, as it would have gone through considerable tests and nearly reaching its operational clearance, hope all goes well.

It seems for now, the twin seat version is not being pursued, may be later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom